mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hi all.

Here are some pics of my cooling mods.

Previously I experimented with a AMD stock coler and found it fits quite well. This gave me the idea that I could install a 120mm fan internally as the AMD cooler was low enough to make room.

My 360 is a Falcon so the CPU runs quite cool. This means the 120mm fan provides all the cooling it needs so I also modified the fan shroud so both rear fans are pulling air through the GPU heatsink doubling its cooling potential.

So now I have direct cool air flowing over the CPU and GPU heatpipe, and twice the airflow through the main GPU HSF.

(For details on the AMD cooler mounting etc: Using Amd Coolers On Your 360 )

(Also shown below you will notice the MEM ports are removed and a vent cut into the front of the chassis below the DVD drive to promote air inflow to the main GPU HSF. Details on that particular mod here: New Cooling Mod. Get More Airflow Into Your Gpu Heatsink! )

Now the pics!!!

Its not the finished article yet, just a proof of concept.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

#2 Bandit5317

Bandit5317

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

I like it. All internal, keeps the DVD drive, and I bet it cools the CPU and GPU much better while being quieter than a lot of cooling solutions.

#3 mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE(Bandit5317 @ Jan 11 2012, 12:59 AM) View Post

I like it. All internal, keeps the DVD drive, and I bet it cools the CPU and GPU much better while being quieter than a lot of cooling solutions.

Yeah it seems to be working quite well. Thanks man. I would like to build a custom aluminum case for it now, going for a low profile 'slimmer than a slim' theme by replacing the rear fans with quiet 60mm ones.

#4 CheaterTehHax

CheaterTehHax

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

heat generated from GPU + Cardboard = Fire?

#5 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(CheaterTehHax @ Jan 30 2012, 09:32 AM) View Post

heat generated from GPU + Cardboard = Fire?

does not get anywhere near hot enough to ignite the cardboard.

#6 XBOXMODDERINNEED

XBOXMODDERINNEED

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Modding of course!!!!!!!!
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(turbocrow @ Jan 30 2012, 09:40 PM) View Post

does not get anywhere near hot enough to ignite the cardboard.

OK but why did you use cardboard a brown parcel tape to hold it together. Trust me not a great combination. I put my laptop on some parcel tape once and the inevitable happened. My cabinet sort of caught fire. Only a little but it did cost me a new cabinet and new laptop so just be very careful.

All in all a very nice fit for the fan. Exactly what is the cardboard and tape there for?

Cheers

#7 mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(XBOXMODDERINNEED @ Jan 30 2012, 11:02 PM) View Post

OK but why did you use cardboard a brown parcel tape to hold it together. Trust me not a great combination. I put my laptop on some parcel tape once and the inevitable happened. My cabinet sort of caught fire. Only a little but it did cost me a new cabinet and new laptop so just be very careful.

All in all a very nice fit for the fan. Exactly what is the cardboard and tape there for?

Cheers

From my first post... "I also modified the fan shroud so both rear fans are pulling air through the GPU heat sink doubling its cooling potential"

The CPU cooling is now taken care of by the AMD heat sink and 120mm fan (obviously the GPU heatpipe extension also benefits). Therefore I Modified the shroud so both rear fans are pulling air through the main part of the GPU heat sink.

This is just a test mock-up hence the cardboard and parcel tape. None of which gets anywhere near hot enough to melt or catch fire.

Ultimately I want to achieve the lowest possible GPU temps while retaining the DVD drive, and without bolting extra fans on to the outside of the case, and also having it as quiet as possible.

I still have a few more ideas to try. Watch this space!

Edited by mikesnowdon, 02 February 2012 - 01:38 AM.

#8 Genom

Genom

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

Can you post the Temps please ?

#9 mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

This isn't a jtag and I don't have temp testing equipment at the moment. Sorry.

#10 Mr_G

Mr_G

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

Nice work smile.gif

Which AMD heatsink did you use?

#11 mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:56 AM

Thanks smile.gif

This one: http://www.3sfmedia....products_id=341

Edited by mikesnowdon, 03 February 2012 - 01:57 AM.

#12 Haygar

Haygar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

I don't think it will work too well.
All that heated air coming off your cpu (plus all the heat that has already come off the gpu extension) will be picked up at the front of the gpu heatsink, so it will be receiving what should be exhausted air.
Don't get me wrong, you've done a neat job but the proofs in the pudding when you have some temperatures to compare with.

To give it a chance you would need to divide between the fronts of the heatsinks so that there are two halves. The left side drawing in cool air for the gpu, hot air out the back and the right side drawing cool air thru a cutout for the 120mm fan, exhausting hot air from the cpu out the right hand side grill.

Edited by Haygar, 05 February 2012 - 01:38 AM.

#13 mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE(Haygar @ Feb 5 2012, 01:29 AM) View Post

To give it a chance you would need to divide between the fronts of the heatsinks so that there are two halves. The left side drawing in cool air for the gpu, hot air out the back and the right side drawing cool air thru a cutout for the 120mm fan, exhausting hot air from the cpu out the right hand side grill.

So far its been running like this for a few weeks and the exhaust air from the rear fans is slightly warm. What you say above is something I have already considered but as you say, I cant really see what effect its having properly without taking some temp readings. This is a work in progress and when I get temp testing equipment I will experiment with some other ideas I have.

I have tested airflow with cigarette smoke. The air drawn in from the 120mm fan does exit from the right side grille and also from the front vent under the DVD drive. Its basically pushing more CFM than the rear fans are pulling - through the main GPU sink. Thats not to say the exhausted air isnt being drawn into the GPU though. Obviously some of it is.

Extending the GPU shroud out to the front of the case, and cutting out the right hand side grille will more than likely reduce temps further.

Thanks for your input smile.gif

EDIT: Maybe reversing the 120mm fan will help. I'll try it when I can take some readings.

Edited by mikesnowdon, 05 February 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#14 LeHaM

LeHaM

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:07 AM

Or remove the M/C ports and put a front vent in to draw cool air in directly.?
There are a few threads about it on here..

#15 mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

Have a look at the first post....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users