• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

Built a 128 xbox. when i plug it into my projector on my theater room i see wavy lines scrolling diagonally across the screen but not with another xbox of mine. i plug both in with s-video (nothing better available).

here's another weird thing about this, it shows the wavy lines if i select another input on my control center. so if i put my a/v switch box (control center) on DVD and play a DVD with the xbox on that is plugged into a different input i still see the wavy lines while watching the DVD till i turn off the xbox.

any ideas? could be a grounding issue pushing current into the control center? i put the xbox directly on top of the control center. maybe a shielding issue? i dont have the RF shields on either xbox.

the lines were hard to capture on camera so i drew a thick black line on in photoshop to show the angle of the lines. the direction and angle constantly change and scroll around some times fading away and coming back.

IPB Image

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Yes. That is the problem. It is RF leakage. Either relocate the console(s), or reinstall the RF shielding.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 04 January 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#3 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Sustainability, Playing music, Mountain Biking, Snowboard, Games, Micro Beer, Camping, River Sports

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

well i tested it by moving the xbox as far away from the control center as possible. still had wavy lines. i installed the dvd RF shield but the top has the center drilled out and clear jewel with led's etc... do you think its worth modding a RF shield with the center cut out?

why would this xbox have RF leakage and not my other one? they are both v1.0's TSOPed with large SATA drives in them. both without the main RF shield. what could cause this?

this xbox has had a lot done to it. I inherited it from a friend. has 128mb upgrade, it had a mod chip at some point but that was removed before i got it. i removed what was left of the mod chip wiring and TSOPed it my self. the 4th controller port has been tampered with. the original wiring and casing was removed and had a small ribbon cable soldered to it that led to nowhere. I had to replace both the controller 3/4 ports and the separate PCB board that they plug into to get it to work. I wonder what else has been done to it to cause this issue.

im thinking there is some sort of power leakage going through the a/v cable? dont know how that effects other devices going through the control center.

#4 dballs442

dballs442

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

well tested a few more theories. used a different power cable and A/V cable. as soon as the video cable (composite or s-video) touch the control center wavy lines appear no matter what channel the control center was on. (i.e. even if i was watching a movie on my DVD player).

so its not RF leakage. im thinkin it might be a grounding issue. any one have a idea?

#5 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Have you tried connecting the xbox directly to the projector without the control center connected at all?
EDIT: Could also be a grounding issue inside the problematic xbox and that RF interference is being received INTO (or is being created by) the xbox and is then being transmitted down the xbox video cable to your source selector.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 08 February 2012 - 01:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users