X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Modding Everything
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

My younger cousin has cable internet but his Mom and Dad opts for the cheaper modem so only one port direct into the PC. His Mom is on his @ss constantly biotching about how she can't use the internet when he is plugged into the modem. dry.gif

So today out of darkness of heart, I went over and opened up the PC and dropped in a spare nic I had laying about my room. So this is the first step. You need 2 network cards inside the PC. They run cheap but so do switches and sh|t.

Next I grabbed his 25 foot LAN cable (Xbox to PC) and peeled back about 3 inches of the rubber coating. DON'T cut it just remove the outer layer. Inside is 8 wires only 4 need to be cut and spliced. They are orange, green, white/green, white/orange. (white stripes) Cross connect the solid orange to solid green and black tape. Cross connect white/orange to white/green and black tape then pat yourself on the back you just made a crossover cable. This also comes in handy if you want to hook up two 360's and have a LAN party!

Now here is the tricky part. On the PC figure out which nic is connected to Xbox by keeping the internet on and the xbox off. The card should have a BIG red X on it. Go ahead turn the Xbox on and if the X goes away then you have the correct card. Rename it XBox 360 or something. Next right click go to properties of the XBox nic.

Inside here look for (normally the 4th line) "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" select it and properties button. Select "use the following IP address"
IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Leave the rest blank and click ok then close all that out.

Run cmd or command prompt. In the terminal window type ipconfig /all then look for the DNS Servers numbers on the internet. Write them down at most you need two.

Right click on the other nic (the internet) and Advanced or Sharing then select "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection". Done with the PC!

Now move to the Xbox. If you can't log into Live and it gives you the connection error; go to Settings, and then select System Settings. Next select Network Settings, Wired Network, and Configure Network.

On the Basic Settings tab, select IP Settings, Manual, and IP Address.
Enter 192.168.0.100, and Done.
Select Subnet Mask, enter 255.255.255.0, and Done.
Select Gateway, enter 192.168.0.1, and Done.

On the Basic Settings tab, select DNS Settings, Manual, and Primary DNS Server.
Enter the Numbers of your internet DNS you wrote down, and Done.
Then do the same for the Secondary with another DNS number and Done.
Select Done again.

Press B on your controller, and then select Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

The PC has to run all the time you are using the XBox but the good news is your Mom can't complain about being on Facebook anymore.

Last step charge your Aunt and Uncle $20 for the work you did. tongue.gif

#2 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'm glad my mom doesn't use Facebook biggrin.gif . Nice tutorial. A switch would work better as you mentioned but this is good if you already have these parts laying around.

#3 crazyshiza

crazyshiza

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

Just so you know, the Xbox 360 does not need a crossover cable as it's network port will switch automatically.

#4 SpamBot

SpamBot

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Modding Everything
  • 360 version:none

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(crazyshiza @ Jan 13 2012, 08:55 PM) View Post

Just so you know, the Xbox 360 does not need a crossover cable as it's network port will switch automatically.

Crossover cables aren't that hard to make.

IPB Image

The most common use for a RJ45 cross-over cable is to connect two devices directly to each other, without the use of any kind of router, switch, or hub. A Cross-over cables is used to connect two Xbox's together for Local System Link Play.

A Crossover cable is required for direct connection between two passive devices..
such as; XBOX ---->>>> PC NETWORK CARD

Typical uses of a cross-over cable are:
PC -------->> PC
Console -->> PC
Console -->> Console
Router ---->> Router
Switch ---->> Switch
Hub ------->> Hub

I am unaware of such automatic or manual switch built into the 360. If you could site a source I would appreciated it. Until then I would not and could not tell XBox owners to use a patch cord as that could damage the network card.

#5 tomgreen99200

tomgreen99200

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

The Microsoft support website says you need a crossover cable. So it seems you are correct.

Source

#6 shab316

shab316

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:14 AM

why go through all this hassle when you can buy a cheap switch from fleebay for a few quid and hook it to the router so that you can connect multiple devices?

and why would you want to go through all the hassle of switching a pc on and logging in just to use the xbox? and thats not fogetting the cost of having that pc on all the time

Edited by shab316, 17 February 2012 - 04:19 AM.

#7 BasicAir

BasicAir

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Everything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

This is basically the same method used going back to the Xbox1 days. You get the same effect by searching YouTube for things such as "how to connect to xbox live through laptop" or "how to bridge xbox".

I have purposely connected my Xbox 360 via a second network (nic) card on my computer for years (forcing host, booting people when I'm host, etc.) and although your method will work, it is much simpler to find both connections in your 'Network and Sharing Center' and create a network bridge and bridge them together. This automatically allows both your Xbox 360 and your computer to access the internet.

#8 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

A million times over, The 360's Ethernet port is AUTO SENSING!

It will not Damage a NIC (lol)... nice try and appreciate the tutorial but facts are facts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users