X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:none

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

So i think i ballsed up royally.
Tried to hot swap my xbox and now all i get is an error 07 message (yes i know what it means) so obviously i have fooked my HDD.
And have checked the cables etc etc, i think i actually hit the power button with my knee before i had a chance to change the IDE cabals back again.

Now i have a 60gb Hdd inside my old pc which i was going to use once i had softed my xbox.
Is there anyway i can use this hdd to fix my xbox, ie mod it before i swap em?

Any help is appreciated.

Just to let you know, there is no white microsoft logo on startup and i cannot gt to the dash or open my dvd drive.
I am new to xbox modding but am experianced in ps2, wii etc.

Edited by darklinky, 19 January 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#2 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

If you have a eeprom.bin back up then its easy.
you can make a eeprom reader if needed though or even buy one.
let us know if you have the eeprom.bin or you get the tools needed to extract it.
we can help more then.

#3 darklinky

darklinky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Jan 19 2012, 09:52 PM) View Post

If you have a eeprom.bin back up then its easy.
you can make a eeprom reader if needed though or even buy one.
let us know if you have the eeprom.bin or you get the tools needed to extract it.
we can help more then.

Dude i dont even know what an eeprom.bin backup is.
All i did was follow a hotswapping tut from another site. All was going well until i switched off the box by accident with the PCs IDE still in.
So what would you suggest?
WHat information can i give you guyz to make this easier?
Cheers for the reply Shambles

EDIT, is this eeprom thing you talk about where i must desolder the tiny chip and put into another xbox??
Im so confused right now lol

Edited by darklinky, 19 January 2012 - 09:05 PM.

#4 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

laymans terms right now..

The xbox was designed so people couldnt just change the files that was on the hard disk.
They did that by password protecting the hard disk, The xbox knows the password, where the password is stored on the xbox is what we call the eeprom...

The Xbox Will not start Unless it can unlock the hard disk, "so you cant just use an unlocked one" and it has to be the same password "so you cant just iuse a diferent xbox's hard disk"

usualy we softmod the xbox Then the softmod reads the eeprom and gets the password. It then saves it as a file called eeprom.bin.
We then move the eeprom.bin fille to the pc, usualy by FTP.
Obviously you cant do that..

You can however Make a little do dah called a eeprom reader "or you can buy one", this connects to your pc's com portThen you have 2 pins that you press in to specific holes on the xbox.
You then turn on the xbox. and run a program on your pc called pony prog.
The xbox unwittingly sends the password data "eeprom" to the eeprom readet, That sends it to your pc and the free program "pony prog" reads it.
You can then hit save on ponyprog. and you have your eeprom.bin

With the eeprom.bin you can then lock the 60gb hard disk you have and it will work in the xbox,
Having the eeprom.bin wil also mean never having to hotswap. Because you can lock and unlock the hard disk.

A diferent alternative would be to buy a mod chip for the xbox. These allow you to use unlocked hard disks so you would not need the eeprom.bin to lock a hard disk.

So have a think about it and let us know what you decide. We cant help you more untill you decide what action you will take.

Edited by shambles1980, 19 January 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#5 darklinky

darklinky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

So i have had a little look, is this the reader you mean
http://www.ebay.co.u...w=eeprom reader
Would it be easy to make one? Bearing in mind i am not to good at this sorta thing. seven quid would be fine.

If i where to buy this and using ponyprog, its just a case of getting the passcode/word using the reader then hooking up the hdd to my PC. Does this pony prog unlock the Hdd too or do i need something else?

Once the drive unlocked, seeing as you said i would not need to hotswap. What is the next stage after that? with dash etc?

As for a modchip that may be an idea but i wouldnt know where to start looking for one? any suggestion?

Im just trying to weigh my options but i would like you input.

I am not very good at using mechanical stuff (solidering etc) would it be simple to do?

jeez softmodding the wii was SOOOOO easy compared to this.

Thanks.

#6 darklinky

darklinky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

Oh and just a small addition. When i attempted to hotswap my xbox.

I followed the guide to the letter BUT.

I had the disc ndure i think, i used as with everything else and had it in my pc. pressed pause break switched on my xbox and as soon as i switched the leads and pushed pause/break again(as the christmas lights were going) the cd drive would not read the disc????
but
if i did not push the pause button or swap leads it would boot the disc fine. Which of course was no help considering the drive had to be connected to mod the hdd lol

EDITTTTT.

As for the above post (and i am just checking here) I take it if i was to get the reader i could just unlock the original HDD that i mucked up?

Edited by darklinky, 19 January 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

No. Your original HDD is history - Error 7 is a disk hardware error, not a disk unlocking error.

You use the eeprom reader and ponyprog to get the eeprom from your Xbox motherboard, then you use xboxhdm and Kingroach NDURE 3.1 plus your eeprom to build and lock your new disk. See the link in my signature "Build a new softmod disk with eeprom" for an overview.

Edited by Heimdall, 19 January 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#8 darklinky

darklinky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

so,,,

i buy an eeprom reader and get pass using pony prog and unlock new drive

then do this

Run Kingroach NDURE 3.1, select your Kernel version under "Kernel Selection" and select "Create XBOXHDM Installer" - leave all other options at their default values.

Build your xboxhdm 1.9 disc using the stock C from Slayers / AID / CASH (Slayers:\SYSTEM\All\c\, or AID:\Files\Dash\ms-c.zip, or CASH:\StockFiles\c\), and the Kingroach NDURE 3.1 files you just made. Rename Kingroach's ndure.htm to ndure (no extension), and place it in linux/ndure/ndure. Put the stock C in linux/C, and the Kingroach 3.1 files in linux/ndure (the Kingroach C and E directories and the ndure script should be immediately below this i.e. linux/ndure/C/ and linux/ndure/E/.) Put eeprom.bin in /linux/eeprom/

Connect your new hard drive to your PC (connect the Xbox hard drive as primary master on IDE cable 1, and your CD/DVD drive on IDE cable 2). Boot xboxhdm, select option 1 - boot VGA Console, then type xboxhd, and select option 1 - Build a new Xbox HD from scratch. Once that has finished select option 2 - Rebuild C partition on existing Xbox drive. Next select option 8 - Quit. Type xbrowser, run the ndure script, and select option 1 - Install Ndure [Install only ndure files]. Exit the ndure script. Reboot the PC, select option 3 and type lockhd -a to lock the disk.

And i have a fully fuctioning soft modded xbox

Where would i find the programs i need for this, if poss could someone p me the links?

Or even list the exact names of the programs so i can google
Thanks again chaps

Edited by darklinky, 19 January 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#9 darklinky

darklinky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

Its very strange i just tried my xbox again and now i can open the disc drive even tho i couldnt before, still goes to error 7 afterwards tho. Anything can be done?

Also my hdd is spinning

Edited by darklinky, 20 January 2012 - 01:07 AM.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

Yes. See 3 posts above this one.

And no, you don't need to unlock the new drive, because the new drive isn't locked.

#11 darklinky

darklinky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jan 20 2012, 02:15 AM) View Post

Yes. See 3 posts above this one.

And no, you don't need to unlock the new drive, because the new drive isn't locked.

ok so i have xboxhdm v1.9
and Krayzie 007 ndure installer
xplorer 360
these are all i have that i got to hotswap

and i have bought the eeprom reader from ebay

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2246wt_1031

will this come with a program??? will i still need prog pony

Which version of prog pony do i use/download if i need it

and you mention kingroach ndure 3.1 where can i find this please.

what is slayers? dash all this stuff i have been tring to find out myself but its a bit arrrrrrrrr.

i have treid the tools search but it just keeps freaking out on me

I made a disc using zbozhdm v1.9 to try and hot swap so i know the basics but what do you mean by
Build your xboxhdm 1.9 disc using the stock C from Slayers / AID / CASH (Slayers:\SYSTEM\All\c\, or AID:\Files\Dash\ms-c.zip, or CASH:\StockFiles\c\), and the Kingroach NDURE 3.1 files you just made.

AND FINALLY lol how do i find out my kernal? i cant switch on the xbox.

Edited by darklinky, 20 January 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#12 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:53 AM

Krayzie 007 ndure installer isn't even vaguely the same as Kingroach NDURE 3.1.

You have to use Google to find the other bits, not the Xbox Scene search tool.

#13 darklinky

darklinky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Jan 20 2012, 02:53 AM) View Post

Krayzie 007 ndure installer isn't even vaguely the same as Kingroach NDURE 3.1.

You have to use Google to find the other bits, not the Xbox Scene search tool.

Thats why i asked lol

Thanks

I got endure 3.1
and xboxhdm v1.9
also got PonyProg v1.17h

I take it thats me all set?

Edited by darklinky, 20 January 2012 - 02:03 AM.

#14 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

1st thing you have your eeprom reader let us know so we can help you.

but as for the rest of the posts in here lol..

lets see where to start.

Your hard disk in the xbox is dead. E7 = (dead hard disk) even if it were repairable. the work needed to do so vs the potential gain oof 8/10gb hard disk is no where near worth the hassle of diagnosing it let alone trying to fix it. Just call it dead. Frame it/ bin it./Use it as a paper weight "whatever you want to do, with a dead hard disk"

Ponyprog is free and i see you have downloaded it. I cant tell you if the eeprom reader comes with a program or not. But i would bet that if it did it would be ponyprog.

Files...
I cant pm you the links no one here can, Its against the rules.
but i would personaly use the ones on Hexen "heimdals xbox engineering disk"
Now i dont know if heimdal has any reasons why not to do this. But id imagine it should work just fine..

i would donwnload hexe, Then open the iso "magiciso or similar program" And in the iso I would see "stockfiles"
I would then copy the C and E folders in "stockfiles" and paste them to my xboxhdm folder. "replacing or populating the C and E folers in that"
After i did that i would go back to the hexen iso and find a folder called "ndure"
I would copy the C and E folders from the Ndure folder, and paste them in the xboxhdm folder so it populates the C and E folder again, and i would tell it to replace any files of the same name. (has to be done in that order mind you)
now again go back to the hexen iso and find "Krayzies\Ndure1.1" in the folder ndure1.1 are a bunch of folders all named "007 , MA , SC-ntsc, sc-pal" And in those folders are folders which are named as a bunch of numbers.
I would copy the numberd folders And then go to my xboxhdm disk folder and find the E folder, and in that find the Udata folder, and finaly i would paste the numberd folders in to the Udata folder on the xboxhdm disk.
Then the xboxhdm disk is almost ready to go. Your just missing your eeprom.bin file.
When you have that thanx to the eeprom reader and ponyprog. you put the eeprom.bin file in the eeprom folder of xboxhdm
(remember eeprom.bin is case sensitive)
When all of that is in the correct folder(s) you can make your disk.
Burn the linux.iso to a disk, and lable it ats xboxhdm softmod + eeprom (belive me its better to label it lol)

Thats your xboxhdm disk done.

Whilst your burning disks. burn the hexen iso to a dvd-r at 4x or slower. That will definatly come in usefull..

But like i said come back when you have tour eeprom reader if you need help using it.
And you may want to wait till heimdal reads and possibly replies. I havent used hexen in this way before. but sure seems to me like it would work, but if any one knows why it wouldnt work like that it would be heimdall.

"the fact that the stock files are updated mean that pasting the softmoded files on top of it later should result in a working softmod, after booting to the softmod then the softmod can be reinstalled properly to enable the shaddow C"

Hope that dosent confuze you more than you were to start it. It really will all make sence when you start doing it.
oh and Google for "hexen heimdals xbox engineering disk" thats how you find it.

#15 darklinky

darklinky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

Wow thanks yeah i got the Disc you told me to download.

When my reader comes i will get back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users