hyfall381

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:16 AM

I put 2 MAME emulators on my xbox... mame128 and mamedox. I was really hoping to play the old Terminator 2 arcade game, but my light gun doesn't seem to be working correctly with the game. It's a MadCatz Blaster. In the MAME options, I see where you can set up a light gun. But I'm shown a white screen that says "Aim at the Center Colored Target and Shoot." But there is no center colored target. When I shoot, the text just blinks. Nothing happens.
I can navigate the menus with the d-pad on the gun, as well as select and go back with the buttons on the gun. In the game itself, the gun shoots when I pull the trigger. But the crosshair does not move when I move the gun.
Just tried the Police Trainer game. The guns d-pad, trigger and buttons work, but the crosshair is locked to the center of the screen. Moving the gun doesn't move it in the game.

Can anyone help me out with this? I'd love to play my favorite arcade shooters again. Thanks.

#2 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:18 AM

Try deleting the game save data for both mame emulators. This will reset all of your button/joystick/lightgun
customizations to default.

#3 hyfall381

hyfall381

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:30 AM

thanks for the reply, but that didnt do the trick. honestly, i didnt see where to delete the game save data. not sure if that would help as i just put these emulators and a few roms on the xbox. never even played a game yet.
in the police trainer game, the crosshair moves using the left analog stick on the controller. but still a no-go with the gun.
is this gun supported? also, i remember reading some light guns dont work with lcd tv's. could this be the issue?

#4 madmab

madmab

X-S Hacker

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

LCD tv.. that's yer problem right there.. Seems a lack of an electron beam will do that. laugh.gif

Unless yer lightgun is one of those models designed to work with an LCD monitor.

#5 hyfall381

hyfall381

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

nope. just an old MadCatz light gun from back in the day. Guess I'll look into a compatible light gun. I'll report back soon enough. I hope it works. It'd be so cool to replay the shooters that I grew up with smile.gif

#6 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Nothing legal probably !
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

If your Mame on Xbox supports a LightGun game then it works.
Old school flash guns only work on CRT screens.
You need an LCD/Plasma compatible gun.
I suggest you look around for the LCD TopGun.

#7 hyfall381

hyfall381

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:24 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yep...this morning actually, I found info for the LCD TopGun and TopGun 2. Seems to be a tad pricey just to play a few old shooters and I've read enough mixed reviews to make me have second thoughts. Maybe if light guns come out in the future that work perfectly with lcd tv's, and at a lower price tag. But for now, I'm probably gonna put it on hold. Wish I knew about this whole LCD/light gun issue from the get go.

Thanks again for the replies. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle smile.gif

#8 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Just a bit of info. (mostly for any 1 els that searches and finds this thread)
there is a specific mame version that works with light guns, some of them fail..

you have to download that use that to calibrate the gun save and exit then go find the dat file and copy it over to your newer mame.
Also same process if your using coinops 2 (not sure about 3 havent tested)

i have the madkatz blaster. "crtv only really. some progressive scan tv's work but not many"
And i have a ems topgun 2.
the ems topgun 2 i like a bunch and i use it on my pc more than the xbox to play games like point blank excetera.
if you do get one dont try to play with the lazer sight on lol.. just use that to alibrate the gun then turn it of.. nothing worse than geting blinded by your own laser sight reflecting off the head of some alien in area 51.

Edited by shambles1980, 30 January 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#9 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Nothing legal probably !
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

It was me who discovered the dat copying fix, 2 - 3 yrs ago now.
Get MameOx128Plus, calibrate your gun, copy the dat into an xbox mame variant with broken calibration.
I have an LCD TopGun (mark 1). Works perfectly if you set it up correctly.
Works with House of The Dead for Xbox brilliantly.
I have 20 - 30 LighGun shooters in my MameOX128Plus all work fine.
Those that state mixed reviews for the gun haven't set it 100% correctly.
One thing i will say is that you need a minimum of 6 - 7 feet between yourself and the TV
otherwise your calibration will be very difficult.
Any advice, pop over to EmuXtras.net as i live there now. Don't really visit here any more.
Good luck.

#10 hyfall381

hyfall381

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Thanks guys. cbagy, could you PM me your email address? In the near future I might get that gun and although I understand what you mean about calibrating it, I might want to get a hold of you for some tips. I'm sure I'll reference back to this thread and hopefully it'll help others too.

edit - you said your gun works perfectly... what type of tv are you using it on? and what size?

Edited by hyfall381, 30 January 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#11 Morganio

Morganio

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:51 PM

go to your local scrapyard and pick up a crt tv for free. or find some flea markets, always a bunch o' crt tvs there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users