• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wolf9545

wolf9545

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:37 AM

I just picked up an original Xbox for $14 at Savers (like an Amvets). Looking around online I figured out that I would like to do a softmod instead of using a mod chip. The things I would like to do is use it as a media player, run emulators, and play my copied games (I have a few original ones for my 360). After looking at the tutorials of this site I found the option for Xboxhdm but I could not download the slayer disc. What my main question is, is there an updated / better way to install a new dashboard than what was posted there? I didn't know if there is any better way of installing a new dashboard since there has been a few years that has passed. It is tough trying to ready through 156 pages of info just to find something and searching doesn't always help because you have to type in something just right to find an answer.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:03 AM

Start here. It will give you some terms to search for......

Edited by Heimdall, 29 January 2012 - 03:17 AM.

#3 wolf9545

wolf9545

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:29 AM

Thank you, there were just so many tutorials that I wasn't too sure which ones still worked. I think I am going to try the second option of softmodding (NDURE 3.1 one). Now I just have to search for the tutorial to follow and the files to download.

Oh, when it says DVD-R's does DVD+R's also work? Didn't know if it just means that you can not use the RW's.

Edited by wolf9545, 29 January 2012 - 04:30 AM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

Read the link in my signature - Softmod with hotswap.

#5 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(wolf9545 @ Jan 29 2012, 05:29 AM) View Post

Oh, when it says DVD-R's does DVD+R's also work? Didn't know if it just means that you can not use the RW's.

dependss on your drive.
generaly we say use a dvd-r because they work with almost "if not all" xbox dvd drives.

I have some that will read dvd+r's some that wont, some that will only read MR dvd Dvd+R's and no other dvd+R
I have thompsons that will read cd's dvd-r and dvd+r. i also have thompsons that will only read Dvd-r
but in general DVD-R burnt at 4x or slower works with all of them.

#6 wolf9545

wolf9545

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:53 AM

One more question. I have the Ndure 3.1 program and the xboxhdm_v1.9 program. While following your instructions, the one from your signature for "softmod with hotswap", I got stuck when you said "using the stock C from Slayers / AID / CASH". I understand that I should download the stock C files from one of those guys but every time I try to download one of their disc, the site that it links me to is unavailable. Any suggestions on where I can get them?

Oh, just making sure I have the files in the right area.

inside the xboxhdm folder I have the linux folder. Inside of that I will have a ndure folder and a C and E folder (the C and E folder will be copied over from the Ndure program I ran when I selected my dashboard version). Inside the second ndure folder will be the ndure file without any extension. Then I put the stock C file from Slayer or Cash or Aid inside the first C folder (the C folder inside the linux folder). Is this correct?

I have included some photos to help my explanation.

This is inside the linux folder that was created when I unzipped the xboxhdm folder.
IPB Image

This is inside the ndure folder that is inside the xboxhdm folder.
IPB Image

Edited by wolf9545, 05 February 2012 - 03:18 AM.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:10 AM

Google. Works every time.....

#8 wolf9545

wolf9545

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:19 AM

Yeah, I think I found and am download it right now. Sorry about the multiple posts just want to not brick my xbox. I have softmodded a wii and a ps2 before but this is a bit different.

#9 wolf9545

wolf9545

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:11 AM

Odd, I have downloaded both "AID 4.53" and "Slayer Evox 2.7" but when I burn them to a DVD to get the stock C folder I can not access any file on the DVD. It is as if there was nothing burnt to the DVD.

#10 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:28 AM

You don't actually need the stock C files if you don't need to boot to stock mode...there is no need to now since there is no xbox live for xbox1. Just uncheck 'boot xbl dash with eject' edit: and check 'ndure basic'

IPB Image

You may want the dash after to copy onto your new C drive (shadow C) when you get the softmod working, but it's not needed then either if you have no use for msdash.

edit: I read Heimdall's instructions... not sure how it would affect your attempt at building the hdd, I haven't used xboxhdm in a long time, but for setting up the ndure files, the above is correct. If you can get the C and E ndure installer made onto your hdd, it will work, but you need to wipe the xbox hdd's C first. (Delete all files). It may be easier to use xplorer360.

Edited by Movax, 05 February 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#11 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

Seriously, just follow my instructions, because they give you a working softmod every time. Once you start using different NDURE options, and not putting a clean 5960 dash on there to start with, you have to know what you are doing. I wrote the simple instructions to guarantee that newbs would get it right first time.

Also, you don't just use the MS Dash for live, you use it for setting up video modes, sound output modes, parental controls etc.

#12 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

There is more than one way to skin a cat, but in this instance, if you wish to follow more closely to Heimdall's instructions - you need to extract the xbox ISO to access the files, not burn it. (Google, I use extract-xiso.)

My way will work too but no ms dash and you need to install it after with AID/Slayers for the functionality mentioned in above post.

#13 wolf9545

wolf9545

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Feb 5 2012, 10:08 AM) View Post

Seriously, just follow my instructions, because they give you a working softmod every time. Once you start using different NDURE options, and not putting a clean 5960 dash on there to start with, you have to know what you are doing. I wrote the simple instructions to guarantee that newbs would get it right first time.

Also, you don't just use the MS Dash for live, you use it for setting up video modes, sound output modes, parental controls etc.

Thank you for all your instructions. I was never able to get a stock copy of the C drive from those three people listed; could never get the ability to explore the DVD once burned. I was able to get a copy of the stock C drive from someone who posted it on a torrent site. Did the hotswap and am currently running a softmodded Xbox.

#14 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

Nice, now backup your eeprom to avoid having to hotswap in the future.

#15 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

You don't get the files from the DVD once it's burned. You get them from the iso, using Qwix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users