Photo

Has Anyone Tried To Port A Recent Build Of Reactos To The Xbox?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

I've just been reading about ReactOS, a freeware, open source operating system that's intended to be totally compatible with Windows. At the moment it apparently runs some games and programs, such as Deus Ex, Quake 3, and Unreal Tournament (plus Half-Life, but it apparently has bugs at the moment), and is very light on resources, so it sounds like it might be great for the XBox.

I've tried searching xbox-scene's forums, but the only references to ReactOS I can find here are from years ago, but it's modern versions of ReactOS that look so promising, so would anyone with the XBox skills and knowledge be willing to consider porting a modern build of the OS to the XBox? Like, I imagine, most XBox users here, I personally wouldn't use it as as OS as such, just to load and play various Windows games, so I think most users would be happy if the OS would work with the games, and not bother about things like network support, internet access, etc.

If it could be used to allow us to play Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life, etc, on our XBoxes, then that would be wonderful, and would be a very fitting way to mark the XBox's tenth anniversary.

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

#2 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Nice idea, but I think you'd run into the exact same problem as xbox-linux: Complete video drivers for NV2A

I was reading a bit about it.. ReactOS isn't seeing heavy development, so don't expect anything unless a skilled dev comes along and commits to an xbox release. Or learn to do it yourself. I would love to learn how if I had the time.

#3 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

OK mate, thanks for replying.

#4 BCecelia

BCecelia

X-S Enthusiast

• Members