#16 xiaotuanzi

xiaotuanzi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:26 AM

I have found that the system will RROD if these RAM chips are put under any pressure at all.

#17 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(xiaotuanzi @ Feb 17 2012, 06:26 AM) View Post

I have found that the system will RROD if these RAM chips are put under any pressure at all.

Not exactly... if you fill the gap between the RAM chips and the heatsink, in a right way, the result is a better cooling for these chips that are "burning" when the GPU is working overtime! The right size thermal pads work fine for my fixes. Never had RAM chip issues from my fixes. If the application is correct (no pennies please - LOL) then it will work fine.

#18 joh123

joh123

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Yes. I was not talking about applying pressure - just loosely filling the gap with thermal paste. Or should I use thermal pads (I just ordered some 1mm thermal pad from ebay) similar to those that are underneath the motherboards sticked to the RAM chips?

#19 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(joh123 @ Feb 17 2012, 12:13 PM) View Post

Yes. I was not talking about applying pressure - just loosely filling the gap with thermal paste. Or should I use thermal pads (I just ordered some 1mm thermal pad from ebay) similar to those that are underneath the motherboards sticked to the RAM chips?

I use thermal pads...

#20 xboxhaxorz

xboxhaxorz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

regarding the 50% and 99%

basically if a customer brings an unopened system to me totally stock theres a 99% i will fix it

if the console is opened bolt modded or heat gunned theres a 50% chance i will fix it

http://cgi.ebay.com/...me=STRK:MESE:IT

these board supports are great for reflows and reballs, they are a MUST for boards that have had bolt mods done to them as the board is not flat and sometimes the GPU is curved

the next x clamp board i get i will make a video showing the flex

take a look at this video

if x clamps really worked then why would my shop go through all this work

#21 joh123

joh123

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(digipimp75 @ Feb 16 2012, 07:21 AM) View Post

He's right, man. No matter what you do, there's always a chance that rrod will return. These things are just doomed to fail. My advice? Look for a cheap Jasper and trash this board. Well... maybe not trash it, but definitely don't waste time or money or cooling mods.

Okay, did it. Got a '09 Elite 120GB Jasper.. tongue.gif Going to RGH it, therefore I should be able to set the fan speeds without physical modifications. What should I set them to?

Still going to do a few things I guess. After RGH, I will toss out the DVD drive to improve air movement around GPU headsink.. and as I already had ordered RAM heatsinks for my Falcon, I think I can put two of them in use. The other two RAM chips should be covered with the GPU sink.. I was planning to change the GPU heatsink for a 2nd generation CPU heatsink on my Falcon, but I dno if it's needed with Jasper.. Then I could have put the other two RAM heatsinks in use too.. I also have one heatsink about the size of the southbridge.. dno where to put that.. maybe on the southbridge:P?

And I also had already ordered some thermal pads (1mm thickness).. If my Jasper has RAM chips on the bottom, I might add them there.. if not, I dno - maybe in between the two RAM chips and the GPU heatsink?

Also I think I should cut out the metal grill behind the fans..

Should make the fan shroud divider and maybe extended shroud mod? (with cardboard)

But first of all, I should take it to the RGHman wink.gif

#22 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

Jaspers are the most reliable (thermal wise) mainboards of the phat xbox. Therefore the only cooling adjustments you could do are:

a. 7V or 12V fax mod (if you can bare the fan noise)
b. RAM heatsinks, only on the exposed RAM chips on the top of the board
c. Southbridge heatsink, is not needed, but don't hurt to use it
d. a RAM heatsink on HANA chip is not bad idea either
e. Thermal pads on the RAM chips that are under the board are welcome too, as long they don't put pressure on the board when is sitting down in the metal cage

For the RAM chips located (hidden) under the GPU heatsink, there is no need to do anything, neither change the GPU heatsink. The GPU is not producing much heat on Jaspers, compared to older GPU revisions.

#23 joh123

joh123

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Alright, I will do as you said smile.gif

But with the fans, I'm more interested in changing their speed via software, but I'm reading many reports about people messing up their NANDs or whatever.. Does it only work with a certain type? 16/256/512 or something? I really haven't got into it yet and don't understand much about the nand and its types. Nor do I know what type I have.

#24 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

NAND mod needs specific firmwares to do the exploits, I don't think there are any other limitations. I am not an NAND expert, so my knowledge are limited on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users