X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE(InsaneNutter @ Feb 19 2012, 05:57 PM) View Post

Indeed, I'm sure MS could nuke a few million consoles when ever they feel like it, considering they have not done a huge ban wave in over two years.

There probably not banning flashed consoles anymore, a banned console will still happily pirate away offline. At least if its online they can make some money from live, and other subscription services on live.

I wouldn't make good business sense to think that way. I'm sure the reason there hasn't been a big ban wave is because LT+ fw is doing it's job. The current releases of XGD3 and previous AP2.5 security measures proves this. They have a hard time detecting backups with LT fw.

Edited by Serious Sam, 20 February 2012 - 04:12 AM.

#17 mac-life

mac-life

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE(Serious Sam @ Feb 19 2012, 10:11 PM) View Post

I wouldn't make good business sense to think that way. I'm sure the reason there hasn't been a big ban wave is because LT+ fw is doing it's job. The current releases of XGD3 and previous AP2.5 security measures proves this. They have a hard time detecting backups with LT fw.

Ban waves does not make Microsoft any cash now days. Think about it, Microsoft makes hella money off Xbox live service, DLC(MW3 elite for $49.99....rip), games ,music and movies on demand. If they ban you all that cash stops. Another reason is people would just sell the banned xbox to some poor kid on Craigslist or Ebay. The market would be flooded with banned Xboxs like the last ban wave. People will turn around and buy a cheap phat console for $40-50. The price of a game. So banning people is not the answer anymore. Seems like their new goal is to just make it harder to play backups and kill as many RGH consoles as they can. I agree, I think LT+ is doing it's job very well.

Edited by mac-life, 20 February 2012 - 05:01 AM.

#18 not2able

not2able

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:38 PM

This is the first FW that I haven't been banned on in a lonnng time. Since LT 1.0 came out anyways...I'd say its more a case of, they don't want to ban the wrong people and can't be certain who is on CFW or not.

LT is solid. ph34r.gif

#19 ca102455

ca102455

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:Women, gaming & Roots Rock Reggae
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Im sure there is a business reason why M$ havne't banned on mass for a couple of years now. LT V.3 is safe for now but im sure they could crack it if they wanted to?

Considering Xbox is worth more to M$ than windows is now their obviously happy to let a small percentage pass them by............

Long live the scene tongue.gif

#20 not2able

not2able

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Reason I say this is because MS has had to goto other ways of stopping backups, AP 2.5 and XGD3 for example. Constant checks on the disc, which is why we now have to burn topology data to our discs too.

Did they really think that C4E would create burnermax then use the amazing silver bullet? Nah, no way. They thought we'd be screwed, where else can they go now? They could rewrite our firmware on every update, but way too much hassle. I know you can never say never with MS, but maybe, its over..maybe..maybe.

#21 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE(not2able @ Feb 21 2012, 10:41 AM) View Post

Reason I say this is because MS has had to goto other ways of stopping backups, AP 2.5 and XGD3 for example. Constant checks on the disc, which is why we now have to burn topology data to our discs too.

Did they really think that C4E would create burnermax then use the amazing silver bullet? Nah, no way. They thought we'd be screwed, where else can they go now? They could rewrite our firmware on every update, but way too much hassle. I know you can never say never with MS, but maybe, its over..maybe..maybe.

If they rewrite the firmware every update, but not do anything else, this will accomplish nothing.

if the same firmware continues to work after the update then they did nothing but allow people who know what they are doing to reflash their console and those who dont they just go back and get it remodded.

Now if they did this on a monthly basis, it will only make people who dont know how to do it learn so they can save money and the people who know how already wont matter, but would be annoying, but then people will just do a SATA mod so they only have to take off the side panel to access the drive to flash.

inevitably they should just throw in the towel this gen, better luck next time? probably not.

The only path to stop piracy is to make games "online purchase" only reduce the price to $30-40 a game, and people will be happier. With the economy and shit the way it is, can they even question why people would pirate stuff. If you live paycheck to paycheck how can you afford entertainment? They are just milking people for what they can at $60+ a game, and sad thing is about 80% of games that are released are horrible/lame/kiddy games not worth more then $30. Ive had games I picked up for 10 minutes and said this is horrible and way over hyped... Graphics look good, but gameplay is horrid. Game is just not interesting. Controls suck or camera angles suck. etc.

QUOTE(ca102455 @ Feb 20 2012, 04:03 PM) View Post

Im sure there is a business reason why M$ havne't banned on mass for a couple of years now. LT V.3 is safe for now but im sure they could crack it if they wanted to?

Considering Xbox is worth more to M$ than windows is now their obviously happy to let a small percentage pass them by............

Long live the scene tongue.gif

I was kind of thinking because of "2nd hand sales" pawn shops, gamestops and the like. People sell systems to unknowing people on craigslist or go and trade them in, etc. Innocent people maybe never knew it was modded, it got flagged before they bought it, or some other reason. Then maybe MS is afraid of lawsuit from a customer who gets treated like a pirate piece of shit by MS phone support and gets no answer why the used system they bought from gamestop got banned from Xbox live till 12/31/2099 or whatever.

or the firmware is just doing a really good job. Also I remember them saying that retail discs fail AP25 sometimes, so maybe they can't ban on that.

#22 not2able

not2able

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Feb 21 2012, 04:19 PM) View Post

The only path to stop piracy is to make games "online purchase" only reduce the price to $30-40 a game, and people will be happier. With the economy and shit the way it is, can they even question why people would pirate stuff. If you live paycheck to paycheck how can you afford entertainment? They are just milking people for what they can at $60+ a game, and sad thing is about 80% of games that are released are horrible/lame/kiddy games not worth more then $30. Ive had games I picked up for 10 minutes and said this is horrible and way over hyped... Graphics look good, but gameplay is horrid. Game is just not interesting. Controls suck or camera angles suck. etc.

I really hope this doesn't happen and can't see it happening personally "online purchases", I just think people, , will kick up way too much of a fuss about it. They would ideally love to see it happen, but physically happen? I just don't see it. People like their boxed on the shelf games.

I agree with your other point though whole heartedly, being a gamer is an expensive habit, if you are the type of gamer that loves all games, its a VERY expensive habit, so when you make that mistake of paying 40 for something new off the shelf that everyone said was the s**t and it turns out its just, well, s**t, then you feel extremly ripped off, even rental for long enough to gauge that isn't very cheap of an option either.

#23 not2able

not2able

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

Prompted for another update just now...

Will take it and update, have another box spare anyways..So we will see..

dashboard is now 14719..Edit..All back ups still working, again quite a big update that seems to have changed very little if anything noticable.

Edited by not2able, 23 February 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#24 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE(not2able @ Feb 21 2012, 09:00 PM) View Post

I really hope this doesn't happen and can't see it happening personally "online purchases", I just think people, , will kick up way too much of a fuss about it. They would ideally love to see it happen, but physically happen? I just don't see it. People like their boxed on the shelf games.

I agree with your other point though whole heartedly, being a gamer is an expensive habit, if you are the type of gamer that loves all games, its a VERY expensive habit, so when you make that mistake of paying 40 for something new off the shelf that everyone said was the s**t and it turns out its just, well, s**t, then you feel extremly ripped off, even rental for long enough to gauge that isn't very cheap of an option either.

i've thought for a while that nextbox would be online download only and to be honest i'd accept that i've bought games of live and can recommend it
22 instead of 40 for a live only machine its a no brainer but there are whispers on the net that hitachi may be developing a bd drive for microsoft
if so it would make sense of the press release a few weeks ago about game disks having a writable sector so the disks can only be used in one xbox given a choice i'll have downloads please
i have to say gameshops dont like that idea due to rentals and preowned markets but when you add piracy into the mix anything could happen though i feel devs will be shooting themselves in the foot if they allow this the preowned market is huge
oh and before any m$ fanboy types jump in with m$ wont pay sony to use bluray of course they will
when a media war concludes the winning media type is always universally accepted just like cd and dvd before it.

Edited by sinclairuser, 24 February 2012 - 01:43 AM.

#25 moobypets

moobypets

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

oh and now we have already a new system update

what give

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users