3 replies to this topic

#1 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

A few months back someone mentioned that they were thinking of setting up a web site (or torrent) containing (good and) compatible wad files and total conversions for use with Odamex. I can't find the post (why has a resource as otherwise excellent as Xbox-Scene never had it's own search engine instead of a basic Google box?) so did this idea ever come to anything? I know that someone was testing Doom files, but I don't know if this was the fella or not.

I know that we could just search for, and download each wad or TC ourselves, and install/patch/whatever each file ourselves, but it does mean some trouble for those of us unfamiliar with the ins and outs of Doom mods (I mean, there's apparently several versions of the great Aliens mod (the Sigourney Weaver aliens, I mean), one for Doom 1, and one for Doom 2, and each version has several different sub versions depending on which version of which Doom you have, and there's also (IIRC) some non-related mods also based on the Aliens films, but aparently these mods aren't nearly as good, so even if I find the right mod, I have to match it (and the DEH files and whatever) to whichever version of the Doom and Doom 2 files my CDs (not DVDs, they're both nearly twenty years old now - where's the time gone?) contain, and then I have to do whatever arcane magic the installation of the files might require. And so on for every wad and TC that's worth playing (most of which I don't know, and I assume most of us are the same).

It would be much easier if someone familiar with both the mods worth playing, and how to easily install them, would install them into a Odamex XBox folder, then archive up just the wads/TCs (which are free to distribute anyway) and make the archive available for everyone who's interested, so we could download it, unarchive it to the XBox's Odamex folder, and have them appear straight away in the Odamex menu.

Is this possible? And if so, then would the same archive be compatible with a PC installation of Odamex? If so, and I'd imagine so, then perhaps there's already such an archive available for the PC (and therefore XBox version)? Otherwise, is anyone willing and able to prepare such an archive?

#2 Hyper_Eye

Hyper_Eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

You might be interested in this: http://www.emuxtras....hp?f=186&t=1633

As far as your commercial wads go, whatever version you have you should patch them. This ensures compatibility online. http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Game_patch

#3 EDX

EDX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

From what I understand, Odamex is either based or is compatible with Boom-specific wads. at doomworld.com/idgames, when you look up a wad it should say what kind of source port the wad was made for. If it is a vanilla-compatible or boom compatible, it should work. With my experience wads that are made for zdoom or legacy do not work.

In terms of the well-known mods, ones I've tried that work:

Alien Vendetta (movie fix wad makes monsters disappear, don't need it anyway)
Hell Revealed
Hell Revealed II
Congestion 1024
Claustrophobia 1024 (Very cool wad)
Wolfendoom
Reverie
Lunatic
Doom Core
HACX

If you're trying to find the very best wads, check out the cacowards on doom world for more recent wads and 10 years of doom for older wads.

#4 Clockface

Clockface

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Feb 19 2012, 01:04 AM) View Post

You might be interested in this: http://www.emuxtras....hp?f=186&t=1633

As far as your commercial wads go, whatever version you have you should patch them. This ensures compatibility online. http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Game_patch

Thanks for the links, I'm downloading the first one now, and I'll check the second one too.

QUOTE(EDX @ Feb 19 2012, 11:14 AM) View Post

From what I understand, Odamex is either based or is compatible with Boom-specific wads. at doomworld.com/idgames, when you look up a wad it should say what kind of source port the wad was made for. If it is a vanilla-compatible or boom compatible, it should work. With my experience wads that are made for zdoom or legacy do not work.

In terms of the well-known mods, ones I've tried that work:

Alien Vendetta (movie fix wad makes monsters disappear, don't need it anyway)
Hell Revealed
Hell Revealed II
Congestion 1024
Claustrophobia 1024 (Very cool wad)
Wolfendoom
Reverie
Lunatic
Doom Core
HACX

If you're trying to find the very best wads, check out the cacowards on doom world for more recent wads and 10 years of doom for older wads.

That's great, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users