• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NoH

NoH

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

After upgrading my old 20 gb hard drive to a 320 gb, I was finally able to install my entire game collection. No more noisy DVD drive!

However while my Xbox nowhere near as loud as it used be while playing, the fans on the back have this really annoying sound.

I have never had a RROD with my current console (have had it for abut 4 years now) so as long as they have the same air ventilation capacity I'm fine with it. While replacing the stock fan, I'll also do the x-clamp fix and reapply with Arctic Silver 5

So far I've been looking into these two:
Fractal Silent Series
and
Noiseblocker XR2

Which of these would be the better choice? The noiseblocker seems to much more silent, but will two of these be effective enoug? Are there better alternatives than these two?

Thanks in advance!

#2 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

please dont do the xclamp bodge it does more harm than good! grr.gif
the stock clamps have been fine for 4 years trust me just be very carefull how you remove them
and put them back as they were and dont just blindly use as5 there are loads of good compounds shin-esu pads,artic sliver ceramique2,tuniq tx3 all work well with stock clamps
before you refit the board into the metal case give the two standoffs in the middle a measure it should be 3mm or the same as the lip around the inner bottom edge ive personally seen standoffs over 3mm and even 4mm once! this bends the boards blink.gif
i have to add though if the lip depth matches the standoff thats fine the metal cases in the pal xenon,zepher and falcon ive worked on seem to have poor quality control i dont know if its just pal consoles the two ntsc/us and single ntsc/jap were spot on worth checking
but since yours has run 4 years so far its probably fine but its something i always check smile.gif
ps the whiser fans are good and have leds too (you dont have to use the leds) and these days they are not expensive

Edited by sinclairuser, 19 February 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#3 NoH

NoH

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(sinclairuser @ Feb 19 2012, 04:47 PM) View Post

please dont do the xclamp bodge it does more harm than good! grr.gif

I'll take that in consideration. Tried it yourself?

QUOTE(sinclairuser @ Feb 19 2012, 04:47 PM) View Post

ps the whiser fans are good and have leds too (you dont have to use the leds) and these days they are not expensive

My impressions from those are that they do not seem to be worth the money, at least from what I've seen on various modding communities. My main goal is to make my 360 run more silent without making too radical changes.

#4 duhasst0

duhasst0

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Yeah x clamps are fine. I have done them on a system. Totally a band aid fix
when you replace x clamps with bolts.

#5 NoH

NoH

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Ok I guess I'm avoiding the x-clamp fix then, saves me quite some time which is always a good thing!

Any complaints on the fans I listed in my first post?

#6 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:25 AM

not at all on the fans should be fine i only mentioned whisper for ease of fitment used them my self
if a customer brought a console for repair and fans were to blame i used to put whisper in i could never put fans out of a broken one in it didn't feel right so they were the easiest new replacement if wired correctly they are quieter and do have better air flow(not alot but noticeable)
as long as they suck out and dont pull rediculous amounts of power smile.gif
oh and yes i did xclamp fix before before i knew any better but now im stock clamps all the way! cool.gif

Edited by sinclairuser, 21 February 2012 - 05:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users