44 replies to this topic

#1 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

I have been a lurker on this site for years and have done a couple cases myself but never posted them. I have started on a new project today with my roommate. We are both huge fans of Dead Space so we thought we would make an xbox plus some controllers to match our favorite game!

This is my first post so bare with me. we are also open to suggestions on anything so please speak your mind here.

Drawn up windows.
IPB Image

I used a rotozip tool for my dremel on this one. In the past I have used cutting disks but I dont think I will be doing that any more seeing that this was by far the best method I have used.
Heres the rough cut.
IPB Image

Now a little sanding.
IPB Image

Buy one of these (buffing wheel) if you haven't already they are amassing (as you can see I am admiring @Ozzylow 's work).
IPB Image

After the wheel the edges are looking mighty fine! now just to do some tune up with some files and I should be good to go to start sanding and priming.
IPB Image

After all that work I need some grapefruit.
IPB Image

More to come I'm just waiting on some supplies to come in tomorrow.
Since we are going with a Dead Space theme what are your color suggestions on paint? What kind should we get? I've always gone with a car grade but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm looking into maybe making a base for it. As I've been inspired by @ozzylow 's base of rock for his Boarderlands 2 case he is working on.

Updates soon to come!

#2 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:05 AM

Cant wait till its done.. Nice cuts. Whats the buffing wheel for? is that a dremmel bit and what part number is it?

#3 DiamondCut

DiamondCut

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

Looks good so far! I would recomend a deep black/purple/blue and then get a white and light blue and purple colors to splatter on the case.

#4 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(dopesun @ Feb 19 2012, 10:05 PM) View Post

Cant wait till its done.. Nice cuts. Whats the buffing wheel for? is that a dremmel bit and what part number is it?

The buffing wheel is a finer bit sander that takes away small bit of plastic at a time. All it does really is take away the file step for most projects (doesn't do sharp corners very well). The part number is 511E (comes with 180 grit and 280 grit wheels) and for a 320 grit its 512E.

QUOTE(DiamondCut @ Feb 20 2012, 03:03 AM) View Post

Looks good so far! I would recomend a deep black/purple/blue and then get a white and light blue and purple colors to splatter on the case.

Yeah I like the purple idea for sure. The game has a plethora of dark colors in it. I have LEDs on the way today I think. I got a couple different color acrylics for the window too on the way as well.

Expect an update later on today!
Thanks guys! Keep those ideas coming!

#5 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

Ok not much has happened today. Forgot it was a holiday and USPS is closed but good news today my acrylic is here! Ice Blue is so sick! I also got some orange. Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet.
IPB Image
Since I did not receive any parts today I prepped the controller PCB and ROL PCB today.
IPB Image
Now its a waiting game. My landlord is up so I have to wait on the primer and paint for a bit. Hopefully more progress tomorrow. In all of my other case mods I've always put in a VGA port but I'm not sure if I want to do it this time. What are your thoughts on it?

#6 DiamondCut

DiamondCut

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Perspex looks great, as for the VGA port, its not necessary but always comes in handy.

Perspex looks great, as for the VGA port, its not necessary but always comes in handy.

#7 boxburn

boxburn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Looking good so far!

#8 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Ok I got my parts today. Man I'm a bit rusty with an iron good thing I ordered some extras! I think I need a new bit as well. But I got though it and now I have 2 controllers that are ready for paint. I also got a ROL but I'm not giving that away yet.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
This is the gnarly tip I had to work with
IPB Image

I have more secrets coming I'm slowly working on. Have work for the next 4 days so I doubt I will be working on anything for a bit. Have a good week guys!

#9 Jumpy_Beans

Jumpy_Beans

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(satanicshrew @ Feb 20 2012, 06:35 PM) View Post

In all of my other case mods I've always put in a VGA port but I'm not sure if I want to do it this time. What are your thoughts on it?

Looking good!
I'd say put a vga port on this box, it would make it that much more unique and add an extra function.
Also do you have pics of your other VGA mods?

#10 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE(Jumpy_Beans @ Feb 21 2012, 05:23 PM) View Post

Looking good!
I'd say put a vga port on this box, it would make it that much more unique and add an extra function.
Also do you have pics of your other VGA mods?

No I dont but. This one will be up in a couple days. It is very clean if you do it correctly.
Thanks a bunch man!

#11 DiamondCut

DiamondCut

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

looks really clean, what paint are you going to go with? Whatever you plan on doing you should put a nice layer of clear over it. It will last much longer and look more professional.

#12 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE(DiamondCut @ Feb 21 2012, 09:25 PM) View Post

looks really clean, what paint are you going to go with? Whatever you plan on doing you should put a nice layer of clear over it. It will last much longer and look more professional.

For sure man clear coat is a must. The controllers are going to get custom painted by my roommate he is an amassing artist and we plan to do something really awesome for the set. Its just picking a base coat.

#13 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Been watching your build since the start, just havent had time to reply been busy. Impressive build. Blue perspex is nice, never played dead space so cant really comment on colors and that.

Any links to the VGA tutorial. I don't know much about it. Is that just so its easier to connect to a monitor.

Keep up with the progress pictures.

#14 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(ozzylow @ Feb 23 2012, 01:40 AM) View Post

Been watching your build since the start, just havent had time to reply been busy. Impressive build. Blue perspex is nice, never played dead space so cant really comment on colors and that.

Any links to the VGA tutorial. I don't know much about it. Is that just so its easier to connect to a monitor.

Keep up with the progress pictures.

Adding a VGA port will eliminate the need for the extra cord for the back of your box. Which is nice because the cord is like 20$ still on MS's website.
Here the VGA tut. http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=522608 . Soldering it in meticulous but its really worth it in the end. It just makes it that much more portable, if you are a fan of lan parties its awesome.

I will have a couple pictures up tonight I think.

#15 kiler01

kiler01

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

nice clean cuts smile.gif

for the colours maby you can go blue/black on one side and red(blood)/black/blue on the other or something.? because when you think about it. the whole game is about bloody messy things and the iconic helmet with blue glow biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users