if you do the vga mod above will help with audio nice work so far

#17 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Ok so I have been working for a bit so now on my day off I had enough time to throw this together. I also forgot to order some LEDs so I'm kinda at a stand still yet again.
IPB Image
I haven't seen a tut up for this yet so I'm going to throw one together for all you guys out there. I got thumbsticks that were clear on the bottom and a solid-non translucent color on top. I rigged these LEDs to the rumble motor. It looks very cool when playing a shooter with automatic guns or for when you get shot at.
Enjoy!

#18 DiamondCut

DiamondCut

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Looks really clean. It would look really awesome if you have multiple LED's that would rotate colors or something of the sort. Great work, keep it up and I look forward to that tutorial. I haven't done any controller work yet.

#19 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(sinclairuser @ Feb 24 2012, 08:42 PM) View Post

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=741133
if you do the vga mod above will help with audio nice work so far

That is a nice mod. But I like the 1/8" jack because it makes it way more portable.. all you need is your box, monitor, and computer speakers.

QUOTE(DiamondCut @ Feb 26 2012, 02:43 PM) View Post

Looks really clean. It would look really awesome if you have multiple LED's that would rotate colors or something of the sort. Great work, keep it up and I look forward to that tutorial. I haven't done any controller work yet.

I do really like that idea! Since there are two rumble packs it could be done. They go off separately depending on the game. I'm hoping I can get the tut up by Tuesday or Wednesday. I do recommend controller mods because first off they are cool, second off they are more portable then a box. So say you go to a buddies house then you can bring your controller along and show off your custom controller. Which makes your buddy interested in you modding something for them.
Thanks guys!

#20 mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(satanicshrew @ Feb 26 2012, 09:52 PM) View Post

That is a nice mod. But I like the 1/8" jack because it makes it way more portable.. all you need is your box, monitor, and computer speakers.

Thanks.

I did the mod mentioned earlier. I get what your saying about jacks but I wanted phono sockets so I could use good quality phono leads to my Cambridge 840A amp. Im a bit of an audiophile!

If you do solder in a jack socket obviously you can simply tack in some wires to the correct points on the bottom of the board under the av socket. Thats the easiest way.

I did it slightly differently though because I wanted to extract the best possible sound quality available from my xbox's analogue output. The DAC chip is actually rather good but its output is compromised by the unnecessary filtering circuits and tantalum coupling capacitors in its path. Taking the signal right off the pins of the chips via good Film type Caps gives greater definition to the sound. Only downside to the way I did it is it disables any audio output to the av port. (HDMI digital audio still works).

If all your doing is sending audio to a TV or a cheap audio system then I doubt you'll notice much difference though.

If you want any more details just ask.

QUOTE(satanicshrew @ Feb 26 2012, 07:07 PM) View Post

Ok so I have been working for a bit so now on my day off I had enough time to throw this together. I also forgot to order some LEDs so I'm kinda at a stand still yet again.
IPB Image
I haven't seen a tut up for this yet so I'm going to throw one together for all you guys out there. I got thumbsticks that were clear on the bottom and a solid-non translucent color on top. I rigged these LEDs to the rumble motor. It looks very cool when playing a shooter with automatic guns or for when you get shot at.
Enjoy!

Nice!

Edited by mikesnowdon, 26 February 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#21 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:16 AM

This is my progress for the day... a VGA port!
I used CAT5. I like it better then 30 AWG wire its a lot more durable.
15 Pin all dressed
IPB Image
Pure awful solder job. I re did it but then for got to take a picture of it. Oh well
IPB Image
after re-soldering I re-route it. so its different then the picture
IPB Image
All hooked up.
IPB Image

I'll post a picture of it in place soon. More to come very soon! I think I will start painting next. Me and my roommate have finally figured out what we are doing for paint. Just got to set up a booth and we will be on our way!
Hope you enjoy!

#22 DiamondCut

DiamondCut

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

Clean job bro. Can't wait to see the case mod in action.

#23 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

One more update.

My other controller
IPB Image

Again Rumble activated!
Posted the Tut for it Check it out!
http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry4857883

#24 Infamous Ob

Infamous Ob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • Interests:Family&Children, Traveling, Skateboarding, Cars, Electronics, Music, G4TV, Nice Homes, GTA Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

Overall, I like the time and the quality your're spending on this project. That's what counts when its all said and done.

#25 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

Need some more updates.

#26 Jumpy_Beans

Jumpy_Beans

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(ozzylow @ Mar 5 2012, 12:35 AM) View Post

Need some more updates.

Hell yeah, ditto!! biggrin.gif

#27 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

Alright, Alright. Heres some updates.
Well I cut my HDD window today and heres how it went.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I'm still working on it. I am etching the window with this.
IPB Image

I want a flush mounted window but I am worried about the plastics not meeting up perfectly and showing light through. Which in term would make this look like a shotty job. I don't like that. So I think I will play around with some bondo or something to try to make it seem like I did this with some fancy machine. What are your thoughts on what I should do for this window?... I would like to get this one looking very nice before I cut the console window. Suggestions would be appreciated! I am painting primer tomorrow! Although it is still winter here I have made a spray booth in my basement.
IPB Image

Not pretty looking but it will do the job.
Thanks guys for keeping with me on this mod!

#28 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Flush mount does look nice when done properly, takes some work to get it fitting perfect.

How are you going to go with the etching, i tried some engraving on the weekend with the dremel, came out alright.

#29 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE(ozzylow @ Mar 6 2012, 02:43 AM) View Post

How are you going to go with the etching, i tried some engraving on the weekend with the dremel, came out alright.

Well let me show you! This is my first time engraving/etching so bare with me. @ozzylow PM a picture of it I would love to see!
So here is my glass all drawn up
IPB Image
So it was an adventure! Here is a glass cutting bit for the Dremel that I have I used this with the roto-zip guide platform. I used this first to etch the outside of the shapes.
IPB Image
Then I used a tool used for wood carving and the roto-zip guide tool to cut out all the plastic in between the etch marks.
IPB Image
After a while of doing that I went back through with the fine point glass cutter to get the point on the Marker
IPB Image
Now that I have basically finished my piece I have relized that it is etched in there backwards after I have flipped it the correct way. WOOPS! Oh well. I have to go though with some sand paper to get rid of the extra texture and fine down the edges of it. To be honest I might just try it again with another piece of acrylic now that I know what I am doing. But here is what it looks like in the HDD casing anyways.
IPB Image

For those of you who don't know the game Dead Space the Marker is an ancient artifact that has been found on Aegis 7 and has created chaos though out a local settlement. It has a massive significance in the game.
I hope you like what I have for you guys today. I might get a very fine router bit to do the job next time if I do it over.
Thanks!

Edited by satanicshrew, 08 March 2012 - 03:09 AM.

#30 ozzylow

ozzylow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:17 AM

Cut up another piece of perspex / acrylic and when i get home from work ill link you to a great tutorial i found on a PC modding forum.

Instead of doing lines he did small dots around the outline and repeated to get the edge thicker then to shade the inside he did even smaller dots to fill it in. I tried and i found it a better technique the try to color it on like a drawing.

I was using that same ball bit for my Dremel worked pretty good. Not trying to take over your thread.

Edit : Trim those fingernails

Edited by ozzylow, 08 March 2012 - 04:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users