3 replies to this topic

#1 boings

boings

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Hey all,
I'm looking to repair this 360 I bought off someone on craigslist a few days ago and if you'd like to help I'd greatly appreciate it!

Other than not having any hard drive or cover panel (except the front), the xbox does not output a video signal through HDMI and it displays a red eye in center which I understand is a well documented heating issue. I think that I would be able to have a much better idea of what is going on if it could display some kind of error message, so if there is a way to test for a faulty GPU or something along those lines would be good... I've done what research I could and am still browsing around threads, but I saw many insightful posts on here and decided to ask the experts.

If I can give you more info/pics anything like that let me know!

#2 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

hey

Sounds like the combination GPU/CPU chip is having issues. This is a Slim, right ?

This could be the very same issue the older phat 360s have. 3rrod - with 0102 secondary code.

The chip might need reflowed or reballed.

Don't let anyone use a heatgun from a hardware store on it. Find a decent semi-professional to do a proper reflow with the correct tools.

I do reballing. But currently I am really backed up on work. Piece of equipment is down. Waiting for parts and 4 customers are waiting.

You can try cleaning up the chip mount. And applying new compound. It might help

#3 boings

boings

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:15 AM

Ah, I was hoping that I would have to resort to a pro as a last resort, but the fear of messing it up myself will keep me from toying with it myself.

thanks a lot for the information! Have any friends you might recommend?

#4 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE(boings @ Feb 23 2012, 11:15 PM) View Post

Ah, I was hoping that I would have to resort to a pro as a last resort, but the fear of messing it up myself will keep me from toying with it myself.

thanks a lot for the information! Have any friends you might recommend?

Well - I was trying to recommend myself. Told you that I do reballing. That's putting new pins in on the bottom side of the chips. You lift the chip off the motherboard to do this repair.

You can look up repair videos on Youtube .... xbox 360 reball. This will let you see the process - help you understand whats going on

I've done this process with older 360s - no Slims yet. Cuz they, as a whole, are fairly new.

Does your Slim allow you to get a Secondary Error code ? Helps narrow down the precise problem

Keep researching your problem - if you don't want outside help. Perhaps you'll find a method that works for you. Just don't do any silly tricks --- that will just damage the board and the chips. Heatguns - bad idea... Ovens - bad idea

You could look up your console with Microsoft. There's a chance it could still be under warranty. So that would be free repair. But I would bet that the chance is slim

xboxhaxorz - is a pretty good tech too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users