• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JolarEQ

JolarEQ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

After many years, my 360 finally got the RRoD. At first, I was still able to get into it and play, but then it started to freeze up every once in a while. So, I decided to buy a new one. Before I set it up, I went onto my old 360, to copy off all the save games, downloads, profiles, etc.

Or, at least, I TRIED to do that. tongue.gif Now, the RRoD comes up ALL the time, and I can't get into it. No big deal, I thought. I'll just take the hard drive out, copy it to my PC, copy it up to a USB, and then plug the USB into my new 360. I've already copied stuff from my old to a USB drive, which I then put onto the PC, so I know it works. Simple!

And I was wrong. tongue.gif While backing up to the USB through the 360 gives me a nice folder with the data files in it, no such luck with plugging the hard drive directly into my PC. I can't even read it! So, I downloaded Xplorer 360 Extreme 2, hoping that would help. It didn't. tongue.gif Oh, I can get the save games off, once I figured out how to find them, but I don't know how to get them onto the new 360.

I tried searching the forums before asking for help, so I wasn't duplicating anything, but I couldn't find anything. There were plenty of posts about it, but a lot involved FTPing to the new system, using other dashboards, etc. I don't want to fiddle with the 360 in any way, I just want to be able to get save games onto the new one.

Can someone tell me what I need to do? The old hard drive is currently attached to my PC. I have Xplorer 360 Extreme 2 installed. I have a USB drive that should be able to hold everything (it's 16GB, but I still had 7GB free on the 20GB drive before the system died, so that should be ok.) I'd like to get all the save games off, including some for a couple original XBOX titles I play, which I see in the Compatibility folder on Partition 3. But, if that's not able to be saved, that's ok.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

#2 djexentrix

djexentrix

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

Get a hard drive data transfer cable and you can plug the old hard drive into the new xbox 360 via usb. Just make sure the cable is for the older hard drive. You can find them pretty cheap on ebay.

#3 JolarEQ

JolarEQ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

So, a regular SATA to USB cable? Or is it a specific XBOX hard drive to USB cable? I'll have to look into it.

Is there a way to do it with a USB drive, though? I'm just curious if I could take my USB stick, format it for the XBOX, backup from the old drive using Xplorer 360, restore it to the USB stick, and then plug that in?

While I wait for an answer, I think I'll try doing that right now! I don't know if it'll work, but it'll give me something to do.

#4 djexentrix

djexentrix

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE(JolarEQ @ Feb 26 2012, 08:51 PM) View Post

So, a regular SATA to USB cable? Or is it a specific XBOX hard drive to USB cable? I'll have to look into it.

Is there a way to do it with a USB drive, though? I'm just curious if I could take my USB stick, format it for the XBOX, backup from the old drive using Xplorer 360, restore it to the USB stick, and then plug that in?

While I wait for an answer, I think I'll try doing that right now! I don't know if it'll work, but it'll give me something to do.

No it's a specific cable that connects to the actual xbox 360 hard drive, not the internal hard drive in the case. I'll be honest I have no experience with Xplorer 360 but someone else may be able to help? I'd like to know if it works too lol

#5 JolarEQ

JolarEQ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

Ok, wasn't able to figure out how to do much in Xplorer 360, but I did end up finding Party Buffalo! Wow, what a great little program! Not only does it tell you what the folders are (which is real nice) but I was able to figure out how to extract it off the old hard drive onto my PC, and then inject it onto the USB drive, which I had formatted on the new 360. I put the USB drive in the new 360, and was able to copy off all my saved games, plus all the profiles.

I'm currently copying all my downloaded content to the USB drive now. I would redownload, but, I'm in Canada, and I have a bandwidth limit that I'm almost at, so.. tongue.gif So, hopefully I'll be able to copy this stuff down to the new system. Still have to figure out how to get the XBOX 1 save game down, but I may need to load the game up first, so it does the update on its own.

So yeah, I recommend Party Buffalo over Xplorer 360, at least for what I'm doing.

#6 djexentrix

djexentrix

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:50 AM

Cool glad you got it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users