5 replies to this topic

#1 Timez

Timez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

Hi,

I am ordering a new DVD Laser for my BenQ VAD 6038 DVD Drive.

On ebay theres HOP 141B / 141X - and some other 141's .

Does it really matter which one i get as long as its 141 something (as from these forums i've read its 141) - I haven't seen the HOP number on the actual laser anywhere.

(I have completlly stuffed up the laser doing the pot tweak as it had the open trey problem - and the screw snapped)

So I know its the laser thats bad as i have kept track of what I have done.

also Is there any reason to get the more expensive ones on ebay - as they range from about 6 to 9 - as long as the 6 one matches HOP-141x it should be fine right?

One says "you will have to adjust the POT" - and the others don't - I don't really wanna try adjusting that again as thats why I broke it in the first place... Do you think the ones that dont say i have to adjust it - will mean i dont have to?

And finally - can i promise myself this will work as long as the laser is the only thing thats bad and that was what was causing the open trey problem origonally (I know it is because I had it working before i then got a multi-meter to it - and was reading the WRONG points!) - and I remove and replace it properlly? - Had so many foul ups recientlly and cant afford any more - this will be my final thing to try.

Sorry for how random some of these questions are - I just want to confirm my thought process with this.

Thank you for help in advance.

Timez

#2 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,792 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

As long as it's for the Ben-Q/LiteOn drive it'll be fine.

I'd steer clear of any that say you need to adjust the POT on them. They're calibrated when they make them. There are a few instances where you might have to adjust one after installing it, but that's not the norm at all.

Just remove the anti-static solder joint and instal it, that's about all you should have to do.

You can promise yourself anything, but until you swap it out for a good one there's no telling what's going to happen. That's not meant to deter you, it's just a fact. The laser is the most common thing to fail on a drive, and most of the time a new one will fix it up.

#3 Timez

Timez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Thank you for replying smile.gif

I have now ordered a new laser for it making sure its the right one smile.gif

Timez

#4 Timez

Timez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thank you smile.gif

it has to be the laser because when i did the pot tweak without the multi-meter it worked straight away - should never have messed with it after but oops.

----

I have a new question now - on removing the old laser, we took out both the metal rails instead of just 1 - Will this have changed the azimuth of the laser now? - we have NOT touched the actual azimuth adjustment screws at all though.

Will I be able to just put the rails back as they were with the new laser - or will i have to adjust the azimuth as well?

Thank you

Timez

Edited by Timez, 29 February 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#5 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

When you replace the laser, leave everything as they were before... no need to adjust anything. Also be sure your removed the security solder bulb from the new laser (if exists).

#6 Timez

Timez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Yeah thats what i thought smile.gif - i didnt adjust the screws when i put the new laser in and everything is working fine now! smile.gif - amazing.

yeah i removed the solder blob from the anti-static points - i read up alot to make sure i wasnt missing anything smile.gif

but yeah unbelevablly everything is absolutilly fine - the xbox is working as quiet as ever - and is like brand new - i even got the dust out of the fans at the back while it was open.

I also used a bit of wd40 and sprayed it on a cotten bud / q-tip and then cleaned the worm drive rail - and rubbed it on the metal rails as well because i cleaned the rails first.

and i decided to get the laser from xbox 360 reviver - i didnt really wanna risk ebay in the end - i was worried i would get a refurbished one - but no it was brand new from where i got it smile.gif

Thank you everyone for your help smile.gif

Timez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users