#1 golord

golord

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

does any one have advice as to what kind( model# or type) of pin headers for the lpt points that they can suggest? have jtagged 3 boxes and it seems like a better option than de/re-soldering every time you run into a new issue, and having a big lpt cable hanging off the board on solder alone is just worrying me, thanx in advance
biggrin.gif

#2 Shintax909

Shintax909

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

i actually opted to do this myself recently. just stopped by my local frys electronics for the bargain brand, turns out my biggest problem is finding the housing for the crimp connectors... until then, electrical tape it is.

#3 Spegs12

Spegs12

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

2mm pitch, 2mm spacing. Best way to do it IMO. I bought a bunch from digikey and far prefer this method. Gonna want to pick up some desoldering braid to get the solder out of the holes. The ground can be tricky.

#4 golord

golord

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

thanx for the quick responses

#5 golord

golord

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

ok had a lot of issues de-soldering with the braid and think maybe a higher watt iron would help i only have a 15w and 25w irons as most soldering i do is making custom joysticks and dont want to burn the pads on the controller boards as most of them are pretty cheaply made being that they are mostly made with out license in Taiwan. what watt iron/method would you suggest for the de-soldering of the jd pads? btw tried using kester no-clean flux and traditional rosin flux , not much differance in outcome

#6 boflc

boflc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

15w isn't going to be enough for ground, and will probably take too long on the other points.

go to 25w, and ADD YOUR LEADED SOLDER FIRST to each point. once you've got a nice little mound on each, place the braid on top of the mound, apply your iron to the top side of the braid, and watch. you'll see some the solder flow onto your braid.

pull up the braid and your iron simultaneously. it'll take you a few go arounds (add your leaded solder, then braid & desolder), but it'll work.

#7 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

I was going down the pin header path but decided to use pins instead and crimped sqid connects to my nand-x wires and a small alligator clip on the grnd wire.

IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users