3 replies to this topic

#1 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

For years I've had EvolutionX as an app on my UnleashX dash but apart from the eeprom backup
facility I've barely touched it. Recently I thought I'd give it more of a go try out some skins and
specifically to get the non-functional MS dash menu option working.

Long story cut short is that after downloading a fresh copy of EvoX from the usual place I have
discovered that both the EvoX dashes that I installed from my original SID and much more recent AID
packages both have strangely limited/edited evox.ini files.

The problem is simply the fact that the both .inis are missing things like the MS dash command/path
and similarly the bios flash option. I'd always wondered what people were talking about when they were
refering to this and how to use it. Belatedly now I understand that it could have easily been fixed/enabled
with a bit of simple .ini editing.

Anyway here's the crux of the matter: whilst missing what I'd say was more important stuff the original
.inis both have hundreds of bios ID listings. The newly downloaded .ini has a mere handful. Now although
the chances of these things being of any use to me is almost zero I'm still loathe to loose all that info
when I replace the old .inis with the fully functional new .ini.

Is there any reason that I can't just FTP the old .inis to my laptop and use Notepad or some other text editor
to cut and paste all those bios ID listing into the new .ini?

#2 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

You can definitely do that, but unless you use EvoX for flashing, it's not useful to actually have them in your .ini (you can just back up your old .ini if you want to save the info though). You can find the ultimate list of BIOS and flash IDs in HeXEn.

#3 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

Thanks for confirming that.

I know the obvious thing is just to store the old .inis in a separate folder in the main EvoX folder. It would barely take up any space and I could easily use them if required however unlikely that is now.

But I'm looking for excuses to practice my FTPing and text editing. FTPIng is not something I need to do very often so if I can simply merge the two bios ID lists the exercise will be given some purpose.

What I don't understand in all this is why, presumably intentionally, anyone would create an EvoX installer .ini with default settings which meant some of EvoX's facilities didn't work?

I wonder if the EvoX main dash or the non-softmod app install versions on the AID disc have different .ini files? I'll have to check but it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by fallenangle, 03 March 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#4 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

I'm guessing that they didn't want the default .ini to be too jumbled since it can get kind of complicated to include everything. Different installers definitely have different .ini files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users