Photo

Xboxhdm Trouble Locking "most Lockable" Hd.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blahkamehameha

blahkamehameha

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

Bought a 200GB Seagate Barracuda ST3200822A hard drive. The xboxdrives website compatiblity list rates this as the most lockable drive, but I can't lock it using xboxhdm 1.9 no matter what I try.

I'm working with a soft-modded xbox. FTP'ed to get my eeprom, which I opened using Liveinfo, to verify the serial number of my console.

Copied both E and C drives and eeprom into xboxhdm folders, and created the linux.iso. Followed tutorial very closely. Everything went smoothly until trying to lock it, where it gives the "error this drive does not support ata security"...

Tried going through things multiple times, followed troubleshooting tips, no success.

Only thing I can think of is that it's the PC's fault I'm using (Dell 8200).

Anyone have any guesses about what I'm doing wrong, or do you agree that it's most likely PC-related problem?

If not, anyone have any experience working with this hard drive model that I could mail you to do the xboxhdm process and lock?

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

Use HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc) to build the new disk in your Xbox instead of your PC.

Edited by Heimdall, 05 March 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#3 blahkamehameha

blahkamehameha

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Mar 5 2012, 02:23 AM) View Post

Use HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc) to build the new disk in your Xbox instead of your PC.

Thanks for the response Heimdall.

So I'm downloading your HeXEn engineering disk right now. I assume I just burn to a DVD-R and pop into my xbox right? Could you give me like a "step 1,2,3" to do after that, because the description of HeXEn is a bit overwhelming.

Also, I won't need the PC at all for this process, correct?

Edited by blahkamehameha, 05 March 2012 - 03:11 AM.

#4 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

Yes, burn to DVD-R at 4x or slower.

You need something to power the second disk, and you might want to use your PC for that, but apart from that you don't need your PC.

HeXEn has instructions on-screen.

#5 blahkamehameha

blahkamehameha

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

one more question then i should be good to go.

I removed my hard drive from my PC since it wasn't locking correctly after running xboxhdm. Do I need to format it before I use your method Heimdall, or will Hexen format it for me?

And if so, how do I format it? I have a USB/IDE converter arrive shortly in the mail, also an external power source for my HDD (that's why I haven't done your method yet).

Edited by blahkamehameha, 12 March 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#6 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

HeXEn will format it for you.

You can use your PC to power the disk.

#7 blahkamehameha

blahkamehameha

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Ok Heimdall, I created the new hard drive disk.

At the end, I got a menu where you have to lock the drive, and then back up eeprom, which i did. after that it said to remove Hexen dvd, then turn xbox off and back on, which I did. But I get an error 5 when the xbox comes back on.

I did leave external power on to the new hdd, is that the problem?

Edited by blahkamehameha, 13 March 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#8 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

The hdd has to lose power/reset for the ATA security lock to sink in. Alternatively the hdd really doesn't support ATA security.

#9 blahkamehameha

blahkamehameha

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Mar 14 2012, 06:17 AM) View Post

The hdd has to lose power/reset for the ATA security lock to sink in. Alternatively the hdd really doesn't support ATA security.

I'm now pretty sure the drive just wasn't lockable because of the firmware. But I have a new drive coming in tomorrow.

During the creation process using Hexen/lxhdm, does the new hard drive need to be in master or cable select mode? I haven't really found an answer to that yet.

Also, when should I cut the external power to the new hdd? like at which step I mean.

#10 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

HeXEn tells you when to cut the power.....sort of.

HeXEn lxhdm Locking Menu
Select both menu options, in order.

1. Lock disk
2. Backup eeprom

Now remove the HeXEn DVD
and turn your Xbox off
then back on again.

Maybe I should have been more explicit about removing the power from the second drive at this point as well. I assumed it was fairly obvious.....

Edited by Heimdall, 16 March 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#11 blahkamehameha

blahkamehameha

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

You'll have to forgive my ignorance on things like that Heimdall, this is my first time working with internal Hard Drives. So I didn't know things like the ata security only sets in when the power is cut off.

And at this point since no one seems to answer it that it doesn't matter if the hard drive is set to master or cable select positions. I'll set it on master and see if it works, since the pc xhdm creator had to have it set on master.

Thanks for being patient with me guys. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users