pepito01226

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

Okie, so a friend of mine said he went on vacation to disneyland in orlando florida, when he came back of two weeks of wonder and "fun" he wanted to get back on his original xbox to play some good old halo and relax.

Upon his turning on the xbox red ring flashes( red and green flash). To his "surprise" it tells him to take it to get serviced. He asked me to take a look at it, since its his favorite xbox he does not want to throw it away. And i work on all electronic media and also we have No idea if gamestop is still selling old xbox anyways.

Well upon looking up how to "repair" original xbox i came to the error code. I check what code he gets, error code: 08. It has to do with "communication with the Hard Drive" open her up, cleaned her up and swapped out the ribbon still error code: 08.

He has a friends xbox HDD in his bag, Not going into detail thier. I try it out on his xbox i get error code: 07 "hard drive has died" Look around everyone on all other forum say to buy and Use a modchip to fix the issue.

I do one more test and used one of my old IDE HDD which i keep as a storage media for naughty vid files. I ofcourse back my file up to my external 1.5tb HDD and formatted the IDE HDD out and try it on the xbox. I get error code: 06 "hard drive to become unlocked" because the HDD is not formatted to Xbox standard

So now im facing issue. Do i ask him to pay me back, buy him a mod chip go ahead and look up how to repair the issue with his xbox or tell him to go look for another xbox from a game store.

I am new to repairing old xbox so its my first attempt. I have done several research with atleast 80% say to modchip and 10% buy a new xbox and 10% no help lol.

#2 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:46 AM

Build and EEPROM reader, Read the eeprom, get xboxhdm, build an new disk with the eeprom in the eeprom folder problem solved.

obviously there is a lot to what I suggested, but the tutorials are out there.

do you happen to know what version the xbox is?

#3 pepito01226

pepito01226

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:56 AM

O.O wow thanks for the quick reply and yep sounds painfully alot to do.

I did find a forum that explains how to make my own reader :/ since my friend isnt paying me to do him a favor i dont think i should do all the hardwork and make and souder and painfully flashdump the EEPROM.

I really dont know know what version the xbox is, is thier away to figure it out like, flip it upside down or something??

If i buy a modchip will i still need to flash the EEPROM? :/ I seriously dont want to do the hassle of going that far if i can take a easier method.

Edited by pepito01226, 07 March 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#4 pepito01226

pepito01226

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Okie i figured out what version of xbox my friend has. its version 1.0

#5 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

a mod chip will bypass the eeprom and tsop because it boots from the LPC header. so you wont need a eeprom reader or the eeprom.

you would install the modchip then you may need to flash the bios of the chip depending on where you buy the chip.
then you can put the new hard disk in and a installer disk like hexen will detect the hard disk and prepair it for you.

if you get a eeprom reader it will read the eeprom and give you a eeprom.bin file that you can then use to lock the new hard disk.
Full tutorials on doing this are available.
you can make or buy an eeprom reader.

if you want a mod chip, check the forum's buy sell trade section. Duox2 chips are availabe usualy along with smartx chips and others pop up on occasion.

i would recomend the kind you solder in place, and i personaly like the aladin chips and the duox2 chips.

Edited by shambles1980, 07 March 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#6 pepito01226

pepito01226

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:46 AM

Wow, thanks for that info smile.gif

I spoken to him, he wants to know if the data on his HDD will be erased.

I do not think it will be erased right after installing the modchip.

Hmm Duox2 chips with smartx chips Ill look it up in the buy sell trade section or google it up.

Hmmm that is one thing though, if the modchip does not require the eeprom then is it able to hotswap? By what i mean, can i swap around HDD without locking it or will it still give me green/red flash ring and require me to lock the HDD

In honesty im a personally a ps2/ps3 guy. I repair system here and thier i have done several xbox360 in my time i can do it sleeping lol. But i have never done an original xbox before. I really would never use the eeprom reader for anything other then this 1 time :/

I will take your suggestion on the Duox2. Ive seen so many forum speak about it like a hot item smile.gif

#7 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

Mod chip will not need the hard disk to be locked.
BUT it will not unlock a hard disk from a diferent xbox.. So you would have to use a normal hard disk.
as for destroyed hard disk data..
You say that the xbox hard disk is broken. so i dont see how you would get the information off of it..

There are things you could try, But it the hard disk is dead then there is not much you can do, but with a mod chip you can try to unlock the broken hard disk, then use it in a pc and use something like hddregenerator2011 to try and repair the drive, and finaly use xplorer360 to save the contents..

if you need more info on that your welcome to ask. but you should cross each bridge as you come to it.

Edited by shambles1980, 08 March 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#8 pepito01226

pepito01226

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Ahh Okie that is what i needed to know. And yes i actually tryied to explain that to him but he is very persistant on thinking his Harddrive is still useable and keeps repeating on how he was gone for 2 weeks and it was working before. I do believe though if i can unlock it i can save all the file using xplorer360 and formatting before using HDDregenerator. To honestly say have not messed with the HDD on my desktop yet Since its locked to xbox i would imagine it would not even let the partition load to a driver letter. I have 2009 HDDregenerator in my old arsonal of software. Hopefully formatting the HDD will actually correct any damaged data so i can re-loading the files back onto it.But if not HDD-r will flag any bad sector which i am hoping it will work fine after that. If that doesnt work i can atleast sell my 90Gb HDD and give it to him for a good price. He is abit of a tightwad with money lol.

Yes i will come back hopefully with some good question as i go through the steps. As for right now Doux2 GS is what i see is on the market. I am reading about fake Doux 3 out in the market as well. Anywords on that??

The Doux 3 are WAY cheap then the Doux2 GS and my friend is all about the cheapness. So is thier anything i need to know so i can warn him about the knock off other then its an knockoff.

I forgot to add a question.

I watched how to install and use Doux2 GS on youtube.Doux 2 when on turns the xbox logo blue, But I can shut off the mod chip and load XMB by booting up with the eject button. If the Harddrive is not lockedbecause the modchip does not require it to be locked, will it give me an error code?

The loading screen when the modchip is off shows a redish purple EvoX shield, what does that mean??

sorry for loading question again but its better to ask those who knows and understands

Edited by pepito01226, 08 March 2012 - 02:59 AM.

#9 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

HDDregenerator2011 does not format the drive and it tries not to corrupt any data.
So i would try xplorer360.
then hddregen
then xplorer360 again.
and only after that would i format.

also hddregen dosent flag bad sectors. it detects them then tries to repair them by degauzing,
by this i mean things like windows will scan a hard disk then flag sectors bad. this marks off that part of the drive as bad so windows will not use that part again. this may be ok for some but generaly all it does is slowly deteriorate your disk without ever repairing anything, it simply moves files and stops you using that part again.

the regenerators like spinrite or hddregen actualy try to repair the bad sectors so they can be used again.

Also you wont be able to asign the hard disk a drive letter in windows if it works or not. because it is fatx "xbox format" So you have to use xplorer360 and that will let you see the contents of the hard disk.

as for your questioon about the booting
theres no reason to turn off the mod chip. The screen will only be blue if the bios flashed to the chip is setup to make it be blue. you can have it boot to any dashboard you would like. when its installed, "i recomend unleash-x" and if you use unleash x you can just chose XBMC, or EVO-X or even Microsoft official dash with a couple of button presses..
And a purple sheild on the top corner would usualy mean that its running the M8 bios, So i dont know what vidio you watched but it sounds like its dual booting a diferent bios.
Also just like it can be used to unlock your hard disk you can use it to lock the hard disk.. but i dont know why you would want to lock it.

as for fake chips, thats not something im educated about. and some 1 els would be better to answer that question. but the duox2's are about $15 probably less. just look for 1 of litsplifs posts iif he still has some for sale.

Edited by shambles1980, 08 March 2012 - 03:37 AM.

#10 pepito01226

pepito01226

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:28 AM

lol, sorry about that i did not clearify what i mean.

In the steps i would take:

i would most likely unlock the disc drive

connect it to an external bay since my board No longer support IDE/SCSI anymore

use xplorer360, extract data save under client 1

The run HDDregen

If that wont fix the issue:

I would then Restart

format the drive

or

use it as a HDD clock or for modification parts

sell my HDD to my friend and throw a college beer party while he plays on his xbox.

Btw i know HDDRegen does not format. lol

And the old version i have flags the bad sector, I guess i need to look for an updated version and download another .ISO

As for the mod chip :Doux 2 GS has an added option to turn off the mod chip either through an addition switch or if you prefer by turning on the system through the eject switch, the doux PCB has two addition area where to souder for the switch.

Doux 2GS

As for what type of XCMB i will let my friend decide, he is to new to this and telling him on the phone what i need to do is getting him very confused lmao. So he is going to have a free day off come over and see for himself what i am talking about.

And he might want to lock the harddrive since he might not even use the modchip much.

Btw i found this on youtube also, i dont know if this is boogues or not, but an easy way to unlock a HDD and softmod.

unlock and Softmod the easiest way

#11 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

ok that is called hotswapping and the way itd being done in the video is not the correct way to do it..
If you do want to softmod via a hotswap, but cant softmod the drive because of errors then you will need a eeprom reader to lock the new drive or a mod chip..

if you want to try hotswaping find one of heimdall's posts and he will have a link in his signature explaining how to hot swap.
or you can find the post xboxhdm for dummies.

I do not recomend hotswaping It can damage your hard disk (i doubt thats importaint to you) or the ide controller on your pc.
However you have already stated you do not have an ide controller on your pc so you cant do that. any way..

Edited by shambles1980, 08 March 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#12 pepito01226

pepito01226

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Oh okie, and no i dont want to hotswap since His HDD is bad and my System doesnt have IDE lol

No i wanted to know if doing the frist few step would leave his HDD unlock lol but i see its not possible and i relly more on your words then on the video.

Btw i got intouch with another friend, he still holds an emachine *Emonster* lol IDE controll and voodoo Gfx before Nvidia bought them out. window xp O.S. pre sp1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users