5 replies to this topic

#1 dan.h

dan.h

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi all,

I've been using my xbox for quite a while with xbmc and before planning to install a larger harddrive, have tried to read up on softmods and associated guides etc.

Based on recommendations, I had updated my existing softmod with the Krayzie softmod on the Hexen engineering disc and I'm pretty sure I have the virtual eeprom and shadow C switched on (the led is now orange instead of green as it was before!).

Before even thinking of preparing a new hard drive, I tried to ftp over the latest version of xbmc to the E:/apps folder (after renaming the existing XBMC folder) but when using filezilla, all of the file transfers fail.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to why these transfers fail?

Additionally, with respect to the new harddrive preparation, do I need to grab the eeprom and C:/ folders when the shadow c and virtual eeprom is switched off?

Thanks in advance, I had tried to search for this information but there is a bewildering amount of information out there!!!
Cheers,
Dan

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

You ALWAYS need a copy of the eeprom if your Xbox is softmodded, even if you very rarely need it!

How is your Xbox connected to your PC?

Do you use DHCP or static IP addresses?

What are the IP addresses of your PC and Xbox?

Can you ping the Xbox from your PC?

However, you don't need to do any of that to build the new disk. HeXEn will build your larger hard drive in your Xbox. Have a look at Option 2.4 - LXHDM Softmod Disk Upgrade.

#3 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

you should dissable the shadow c if you want to copy c, or you will only get the shadow image.
When it comes to the ftp. Filezilla may be failing toi transfer because its trying to transfer to many files at once and that your xbox will only allow 1-2 connections at a time.
I use unleash x dash board and change the default max connections to 9. and tell filezilla to transfer 8.

you could try flashfxp or just using windows ftp..

type
FTP://your.xbox.ip.address
in to your fire fox or internet explorer it should pop up a user name and password prompt, both should be xbox.

#4 dan.h

dan.h

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Mar 7 2012, 10:37 PM) View Post

You ALWAYS need a copy of the eeprom if your Xbox is softmodded, even if you very rarely need it!

How is your Xbox connected to your PC?

Do you use DHCP or static IP addresses?

What are the IP addresses of your PC and Xbox?

Can you ping the Xbox from your PC?

However, you don't need to do any of that to build the new disk. HeXEn will build your larger hard drive in your Xbox. Have a look at Option 2.4 - LXHDM Softmod Disk Upgrade.

Thanks for the replies, my xbox and PC is wired to my router using DHCP. It's weird because I can connect ok and transfer across one or two files, perhaps it is as Shambles suggests and its to do with max number of transfers, I will look into that (this was never an issue before I updated my softmod however).

To further complicate issues, I use ubuntu as opposed to windows. I've managed with it for a couple of years but now, after trying to modify my xbox, I feel at a disadvantage with not using a windows OS (there are far fewer gamesave mangers etc.)!

Heimdall, with regards to your last comment, do you mean I can just put a completely blank hard drive into the xbox and boot up from the Hexen disc? I had always thought I had to prepare it using xboxhdm or chimp etc.??

Thanks,
Dan

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

No, I mean you should read the link in my signature about softmod hard drive upgrades, and load HeXEn and read the instructions.... smile.gif

The number of sessions has nothing to do with FTP failing. It might have an impact on the overall speed of transfer, but that's all.

Your upgraded softmod is similarly a red herring. It isn't the softmod that provides FTP, it's the dash - in your case UnleashX - and UnleashX will FTP quite happily.

#6 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

filezilla transfers will fail if it tries to transfer a file and times out and tries again but still cannot transfer the file x amount of times (dictated in filezilla settings) it will then put that file in the failed transfer list.
youd be amazed how many times i forgot to change the max connections on unleashx, then told filezilla to transfer 120gb worth of junk and went to bed.
only to wake up in the morning with a list full of failed transfers "unable to conect too many users"

Edited by shambles1980, 08 March 2012 - 12:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users