Photo

Can I Rescue Saved Games Etc. From Dying Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Raycaster

Raycaster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:43 AM

My son's hard drive started clicking so I managed to buy a used replacement 120G for a good price.

My son would like to retrieve his saved games from the dying drive but we get the HD error (forget error code) when trying to transfer.

I have the bad drive connected straight to my PC now but due to the xbox filesystem Ghost and True Image spoiled my plans of a simple clone and copy. They don't see the drive (Its reported MT).

So I did a backup with USB Xtaf Gui Version 44 and presently writing back to the good drive. Man, it seems slow and not sure it will work.

As a newbie I really just wanted to grab all the folders from the dying drive and copy them over but that appears to be wishful thinking.

If this doesn't work, is there a simpler solution?

Is there no simple way to clone the bad 120G drive and write to the good 120 drive?

I have this sneaky feeling that 2 hours later from now the Disk Image will fail writing due to wrong size as they both are 120G but not identical drives... hmmm.

Any hints would be appreciated.

#2 Raycaster

Raycaster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

A quick update, hard drive error with new drive after cloning.

I guess the image didn't work right or it worked perfect - garbage in = garbage out.

Oh well, if no solution he gets no saved games... I'm sure he will survive!

#3 crazygoldfish

crazygoldfish

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

Look up modio.

This let's you download other people's game saves and inject your xbox I'd into them.

Not ideal, but usually better than starting from zlitch

#4 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Don't mod the saves. That's a bannable offense on Xbox LIVE.

As long as you have the image, you should be able to browse it (using a FATX browser) and copy the profile and saved games to another hard drive. I would recommend formatting the new hard drive, then copying profile folders to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users