4 replies to this topic

#1 Prizbiz

Prizbiz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hey guys,

I'm really fresh into this whole Softmod/Hardmod. As you can see this is my first post. I've actually read through about 15 topics so far and have actually tried a bit of softmodding before but I got stuck in a couple ruts and decided to give up. Well, now i'm back and I'm here to really get down and dirty.

To start I'd like to warn you that this post may be quite nooby, but hence the reason im in the newby section of the xbox forum.

I've been reading about using the game save exploits (Which i have accomplished) and actually installed evox on my original xbox before. I know how to setup the FTP servers, and I know how to do quite a bit of networking. But i've always lacked in the hardwar side of things.

There seems to be quite a difference between the Softmod beginning tutorials, and the actual capabilities of a mod chip with the hardmods.

What I'm asking is, what in the world should a beginning modder be looking at for chips? I know that I want to get a chip to run different BIOS on the xbox, and that I need to upgrade my harddrive because it only has about 8 gb of space to work with.

Here is a list of what I actually want to do with my xbox
1) I want to run emulators from n64 and sega
2) I want to put video's on the xbox and run them on XBMC
3) I want to be able to connect it to a network and stream youtube
4) I want to be able to play dvd's
5) I'm not sure if this is possible, but I heard you can upgrade the graphics? I would love to do that if its possible aswell smile.gif

What kind of tutorials and things should I read through before proceeding? I know that if I read about this stuff and actually have a good grasp on things that the installation will go a whole lot smoother smile.gif So i am asking you guys to help direct this NOOB to the next step. Do I look for modchips? If so how do I compare and see whats what? Do I upgrade my harddrive?

If I did those, What would be the next step?

Thanks so much for reading! LETS GET THIS MOD ONNNNNNN muhaha.gif

Edited by Prizbiz, 08 March 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

5 is nonsense.

The others you can do with a softmod.

Grab a copy of HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox Engineering Disc), and burn it to DVD-R at 4x or slower - it will simplify or automate most of the things you need to do.

Is your Xbox already softmodded? If so, which softmod - you should make sure it's Krayzie 1.1.1 before you start, and upgrading is easy using HeXEn.

#3 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

There is little to no advantage to a chip. Occasionally they may help in certain situations, but softmods are as good as a chip for normal use. If you did want the few advantages of a chip you may be able to flash the TSOP if your xbox is not a v1.6 and you would have close to the same functionality.

#4 Prizbiz

Prizbiz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

I dont have it soft modded at the moment. I put a softmod dashboard on the xbox about a year ago but I didnt know where to go from there so I just reverted it all to the orignal dashboard and everything.

You say I should look into Krayzie 1.1.1 for softmodding and then the HeXen program for upgrading and actually programming?

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Yes - but you aren't programming anything. You are installing software on your Xbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users