4 replies to this topic

#1 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

Hi all, I've found this forum very helpful when diagnosing all the Xbox problems I've had over the years, but this time I can't seem to find a solution anywhere.

I have a Falcon 360 that, when connected by HDMI, will show that it is displaying a resolution of 640 x 480 through DVI and there is no sound (of course, because its detecting DVI). When I turn "display discovery" off, my console will restart and this time there will be sound and it will detect it as HDMI input, but it is stuck at 480p.

In both cases, the default setting can't be changed to anything else without resulting in a black TV screen until the settings revert back.

Now I have many working Xboxs that I have used on this TV. They all work on the same HDMI cable plugged into the same HDMI port on the TV. This box is running the latest dashboard. I have tried holding LT and Y at startup to reset display settings. I have tried resetting the Xbox to factory defaults by entering the code in the system info screen. I have tried reflowing the board.

I have a composite AV cable and a VGA AV cable, both of which work great. And the VGA cable allows me to change the resolution like it should.

I have observed something weird at startup:

When starting the console with the AV cable plugged in, it starts normally with the 4 green lights flashing one at a time in a circle before the top left LED lights up to show a controller is plugged in.

But when starting it with just the HDMI plugged in, the console immediately starts with one green light on and bypasses the circular illumination. Then after about one or two minutes of waiting, the console seems to restart and shows the circular illumination like normal, then there is a picture on the screen with the previously noted issues above.

This one has me stumped and I'd appreciate any input anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

P.S. I suppose this may be the wrong forum, but if I had to guess, I'd say this was a hardware issue. With my limited experience though.... I'm unsure. Sorry about that.

EDIT: Maybe a Mod could move this to the Audio/Video forum for me. Sorry, I jumped the gun posting it here.

Edited by canyonnehastings, 10 March 2012 - 05:45 AM.

#2 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

sounds like bent pins/socket problems maybe dry joints

#3 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

It's almost as if whatever handles HD output on the board isn't working and it can only output standard def. Like the HANA has become an ANA.

#4 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

So your using a computer monitor with HDMI to DVI cable?
Regardless of whatever other consoles worked, I would test it with another TV and cable.
I've seen HDMI signal control boot up and other times not, I'm not sure if it depends on TV type or what.
Also test component HD video. If that doesn't work I'd suspect a serious hardware problem.

#5 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Mar 14 2012, 05:04 AM) View Post

So your using a computer monitor with HDMI to DVI cable?
Regardless of whatever other consoles worked, I would test it with another TV and cable.
I've seen HDMI signal control boot up and other times not, I'm not sure if it depends on TV type or what.
Also test component HD video. If that doesn't work I'd suspect a serious hardware problem.

No, it's an HDMI to HDMI cable but by default it is detecting it as DVI and eliminating the sound. If I turn auto-detect off or whatever that setting was I previously noted, then it will detect it correctly and give me sound, but the resolution will still be locked.

It works great with composite and VGA cables and lets me set the resolution to 1920x1080 on the vga with no issues. I can't even get it to give me a picture when I try it on other TVs/Monitors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users