• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joemegahertz

joemegahertz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

I have this idea for a cooling option on my phat box. I was going to mount a self powered usb hub internal to my box. The purpose of this is to run fans. Due to the low draw of usb 5V i was going to use a 12v step up circuit on each port. Reason I think this might dry.gif be a good idea is because i don't want to add additional heat by running off the boxes usb and I would be afraid of shorting them out. Also in case I f*ck something up i just toasted by usb hub not my box. I know I can solder in the 12V front fan connect but I don't want to pull to much power from it with multiple fans. I also figured i could run some other stuff like leds. I just think the option of having additional power inside that isn't powered by the psu is a good idea. What do you guys think?

I do of course realize I will have another cord coming from my box and will have to manualy turn off and on...unless i solder in a wireless on/off switch

Edited by joemegahertz, 10 March 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#2 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hey.. Thanks dood. I have new topics emailed to me. Used yours to link to forum.

#3 joemegahertz

joemegahertz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

thanx man. I was thinking more about it. I posted this in the morning and was a little tired. Updated thought. Id probably attach the usb hub externally to keep the temp down and just run the cables to the inside through the back. Also to turn on and off the hub I'd use something with a wireless socket plugin instead of trying to solder something in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users