6 replies to this topic

#1 protivakid

protivakid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

I was given two 360's that both had E74 RROD errors. I fixed both of them using a heat gun detailed by another guide. I know this is by no means a professional fix however both consoles were free.

I now want to keep them running as cool as possible without leaving the case off constantly since these consoles are at a high risk to RROD again.

Below are some of the mods I did to help with heat. My goal is to keep the console as "stock" looking as possible.

To start off I did the 12V fan mod so both rear fans are at 100% constantly
IPB Image

I then used a dremel and cut out the rear fan guard mesh so that air could better be pushed out the back. I did not cut the plastic outside part as I want the console to remain looking stock.
IPB Image

Since the GPU was the problem in the first place, I added a 45mm fan on top of the secondary gpu heatsink and used a 3-pin Y connector to attach it to the primary fan connector
IPB Image

Lastly, I wanted to allow air to better enter through the front near the gpu fan, so I used the interior metal mesh as a template and drilled new ventilation holes through the top of the case.
IPB Image

Because I used the metal as a template, this almost looks stock after I sanded the new holes.
IPB Image

So what do you think?

#2 hangover

hangover

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Your soldering needs work but the extra 45mm fan and drilled holes do look good, i wouldnt have the fans at 12V though as it will sound like a jet now.

#3 Gazc0igne

Gazc0igne

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

nice work but waste of time as E74 is the GPU EDRAM failing and after a few heat cycles of being turned off and on it will E74 again.

only fix is to replace the GPU.

#4 turbocrow

turbocrow

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE(Gazc0igne @ Mar 13 2012, 04:55 PM) View Post

nice work but waste of time as E74 is the GPU EDRAM failing and after a few heat cycles of being turned off and on it will E74 again.

yea my reflow worked for like a week its a permanent fault all this heating crap for E error imo do not work.

#5 protivakid

protivakid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(Gazc0igne @ Mar 13 2012, 05:55 PM) View Post

So far I have left it running for three 10 hour sessions in skyrim and have not got a red ring. Fingers crossed!

#6 quix22

quix22

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(protivakid @ Mar 13 2012, 05:10 PM) View Post

So far I have left it running for three 10 hour sessions in skyrim and have not got a red ring. Fingers crossed!

Just wondering if this mod's still working out for you, or if the RROD reared its ugly side again?

#7 protivakid

protivakid

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(quix22 @ Aug 28 2012, 03:23 AM) View Post

Just wondering if this mod's still working out for you, or if the RROD reared its ugly side again?

Sadly the RROD came back. I could keep taking the heat gun to it but that becomes a pain. I ended up just using a good Phat 360 that never RROD'd and applying the same cooling mods to that thinking it will hopefully prevent a RROD from ever happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users