• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Spudman89

Spudman89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

So I went to play on my Xbox yesterday like usual and it's been having a problem where it would not stay powered on unless the socket was pressured for some odd reason.

Yesterday it finally died on me for good, so I opened it up and discovered this where the ac cord plugs in:

http://i.imgur.com/7xazP.jpg

Don't know if the xbox is completely dead or not, but if it is, I have the UnleashX dashboard installed on the hard drive in this Xbox, my question was can I just swap this HDD with the one in another Xbox and be fine? Or does the soft mod also alter the Xbox's flash memory or whatever besides the HDD, and I'll have to re-softmod the new one?

I'd greatly appreciate some help before I go and buy anything, thanks

#2 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

As far as moving your hard drive goes, the hard drive will need to be unlocked (I hope you have an eeprom backup) and either locked to the eeprom of your new Xbox or it can be run unlocked if the new Xbox is hardmodded. The softmod files reside on the hard drive and wouldn't need to be reinstalled if you moved the hard drive.

#3 Spudman89

Spudman89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

Don't think I have an eeprom backup

#4 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:25 AM

If your two consoles have compatible power supplies, then you can temporarily (or even permanently) move the working power supply into the dead Xbox and get the eeprom backup. Without a working power supply, you'll need an eeprom reader to get your eeprom.

#5 Spudman89

Spudman89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:40 AM

I see, I suppose I'll just softmod the new one then. it was just my collected roms and whatnot with the save data, not like it's any irreplaceable data or anything.

Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

#6 Spudman89

Spudman89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:49 AM

So I actually got power working again on the original Xbox, but I don't want to chance it failing again. How do I get the EEPROM backup from it?

Also the Xbox I want to transfer this hard drive to's DVD drive won't read anything, can I just swap out MY DVD drive and my hard drive so long as I get the EEPROM backup without other problems?

#7 Spudman89

Spudman89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

Also to note the working DVD drive is a Philips and the one that's not working is a Thomson. Does it matter if the drive is by the same manufacturer?

#8 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

You can use Config Magic to get your eeprom backup. As far as swapping components go, the DVD drives are completely interchangeable while the hard drive will need to be locked with the destination Xbox's eeprom if it's a softmodded console or it can be run unlocked if it's hardmodded.

#9 Spudman89

Spudman89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

So how exactly do I go about swapping my soft modded hard drive into the other Xbox sytem using Config Magic? I just want to make sure I get this down step by step so I don't screw something up and make it worse

#10 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

Is the target Xbox hard or softmodded?

#11 Spudman89

Spudman89

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:38 AM

neither, though I could softmod it if I need to if I swap in my working DVD drive. I have the MechAssault disc and the linux save to do so

#12 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:30 AM

Assuming you don't plan on hardmodding eventually, you'll need to softmod the target Xbox, get its eeprom, and then unlock the old hard drive with the old eeprom and relock it with the new eeprom (both using XboxHDM).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users