Photo

Is There A Way To Allow My Hdd To Be Readable On My Pc?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kadin

Kadin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

I've got a working modded Xbox with an XEcuter 2 chip and it's functioning fine. I deleted some files years ago and would like to hook up my HDD to my computer and run a recovery program.

Is this possible some way?

Thanks!

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

If you've been using it for a few years since deleting the files then the space they occupied will probably have been reused, so your chances of success are very, very slim.

To plug it in to your PC you .... plug it in to your PC. It's a standard IDE disk.

Use Photorec to try to recover the files - it understands FATX formatted disks.

#3 Kadin

Kadin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Yeah I just plugged the drive into the PC and while Windows 7 found and installed the appropriate driver for it, it says it can't read it or is not accessible due to it needing to be 'initialized'. This program you're talking about, it will see this? I just looked up Photorec and FatX isn't listed as a compatible file system.

The drive is locked too I believe. Not sure how to check but it's been a while. And now I haven't used it for the last few years, it's just been sitting there. Looked into doing this data recovery a while back but forgot about it.

#4 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

you can have the xbox unlock the hard disk because its chipped "if it is locked at all"
xplorer360 will be able to view the hard disks contents if it is not locked so you may want to start there.

#5 Kadin

Kadin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

Well apparently I'm a complete moron because I could swear I've locked and unlocked it before via the system itself but I'll be damned if I can find the option. Searching hasn't netted me any decent leads on where to look. And yeah it's still locked as xplorer360 couldn't find a fatx drive...

#6 Kadin

Kadin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:34 AM

Not sure what else to do. I hooked up the drive to my computer, booted with a dos disk and the appropriate files to unlock the drive and tried both the 'password' and 'key' and neither resulted in a successful unlock. The password I saw via my 'info' screen on my xbox was 40 characters long and it seems others are shorter.

I have no \data dir. on any of the partitions of my HDD with any type of hddinfo.txt files or anything. I'm really at a loss here. I can't even tell what type of chip and or version of software is running. sad.gif

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

Unlock it in the Xbox, using Evox or Config Magic.

#8 Kadin

Kadin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

So I think I might know what part of my problem is. The xbox only boots into XBMC. I can't see a way of getting back out to the main EvolutionX dashboard. I just looked at a picture of it and I remembered that's how my system used to look. At some point I enabled the system to auto boot into XBMC and I can't get out of it now...

God I hate being so green...

#9 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

You just need to put Config Magic into your apps folder like any other app.

#10 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Or alternatively install as an app EvolutionX or even UnleashX which, although I've not tried it, I think can also be used to un/lock the HDD. Both can be very useful as apps in any case for a number of reasons.

#11 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Mar 16 2012, 10:20 PM) View Post

Or alternatively install as an app EvolutionX or even UnleashX which, although I've not tried it, I think can also be used to un/lock the HDD.

Don't use unleashX to lock the hdd. It's buggy.

#12 Kadin

Kadin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Mar 16 2012, 12:45 AM) View Post

You just need to put Config Magic into your apps folder like any other app.

THanks!!! That was all I needed to do. HDD is now hooked up to this pc and file recovery is underway.

I really appreciate you all sticking with me here, now I just need to find out how to get the very latest EvolutionX dashboard back on here and do away with this crummy XBMC front-end or dash...

#13 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

That's a bit retrograde. As far as dashboards go, XBMC > UnleashX > EvolutionX, simply because that's the reverse of the order in which development stopped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users