• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Snathan

Snathan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

I'm completely new to the modding scene and I'm looking to get started with an original Xbox. I've been reading as much as I can before I get started and have come to the conclusion that getting a chip for an original Xbox doesn't seem likely, as they are so hard to come by these days.

I was wondering if it were possible to remove the disc drive after a softmod? I picked up Splinter Cell from Disc Replay and I'm going to build a USB connector with a memory card and any up to date information I can get will be greatly appreciated.

I apologize in advance if this has been done recently, but I couldn't find a thread the was up to date. I've spent the past few days since registration reading as much as possible, but again couldn't find much that was up to date.

#2 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:50 AM

Unfortunately, no, you can't run a softmod without a DVD drive.

#3 Snathan

Snathan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:08 AM

Dang.. Any ideas on where I can get my hands on a chip? It's my understanding that they're hard to get.

#4 AZImmortal

AZImmortal

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

If you have a version 1.0 to 1.5 Xbox, then you can flash the TSOP with a hacked bios, which would give you the same abilities as a modchip.

#5 Snathan

Snathan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Of course its a 1.6. LoL

#6 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

If removing the DVD drive is important, it may be easier/cheaper to find an non v1.6 xbox for cheap and TSOP mod it instead. Check craigslist or local thrift shops.

#7 Snathan

Snathan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Well I guess it isn't that important, I was just looking to really mod this think inside and out. Are there Any other major differences between softmod and hardmodding?

#8 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

The only big difference in day-to-day use is turning off the 'flubber' animation on power on. You can't do anything about it with a softmod. Other than that, for regular use, there isn't much difference. The latest ndure/nkpatcher softmods are very good and in some ways better.

If you are going to be upgrading your harddrive a softmod can be a bit more work but not too hard once you know what you are doing. You should search/read about either using a save game exploit, or hotswapping to a PC/xboxhdm to mod your xbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users