• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stoopidassassin

stoopidassassin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

I was really hoping someone could help me PLEASE!... i was playing mass effect 3 the other night when my whole console froze (250 gb 360 slim). i went to power the 360 down by using the power button censor and it beeped but would not shut down so i pulled the cord out of the back of the xbox. when powering the console back on it wouldnt even go to the dashboard it just stopped at the xbox 360 logo screen. i took the hard drive out and the xbox works fine so i put the hard drive into a different xbox 360 slim and it goes to dashboard but when i go to system setting, storage it says i have used over 190 gigs but when i look for my data its all empty. i go to clear system cache and it gets to the point where it is about to clear and then stops. so my real question is, Is my hard drive completely fried or do i need to format it and lose 5 years worth of 360 save data, or what? this doesnt seem to be a common problem so im having a hard time even getting answers fro 1800-4-my-xbox so i hope someone knows how to fix the internal harddive without me losing all my save data unless that is the only option

#2 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

First off, I wouldn't format it just yet.

You could try hooking it up to a PC and getting the data off with programs like Party Buffalo, XTAF GUI, etc. Assuming your hard drive hasn't been corrupted, you should be able to recover some, if not all, of the data.

#3 stoopidassassin

stoopidassassin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

OK, I will check my local game store/ best buy and see if they can assist me with that... I'm not familiar with what you are talking about exactly but do appreciate the help! I will take what you said to them and see if they can walk me through it. Again thanks for your help!

#4 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

It's unlikely that they'll be able to help you as it's not common practice outside of the scene. It's very simple, provided you have a desktop computer with SATA connections.

#5 stoopidassassin

stoopidassassin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

I'm sorry to be so computer illiterate but what is SATA? I personally only have a laptop and tablet but my grand father has a desktop I may be able to get access to.

#6 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

SATA is Serial ATA, a connector type for drives in computers. Your 360 HDD uses SATA. If you look at the end of the drive which plugs into the Xbox, you'll see two connectors. The wider one is for power. The narrower one is the SATA connector.

If the desktop was purchased or built within the last 4-5 years, it more than likely will have SATA ports.

#7 stoopidassassin

stoopidassassin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

OK I will look into doing that. Thank you for your help!!!!

#8 stoopidassassin

stoopidassassin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

OK I will look into doing that. Thank you for your help!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users