7 replies to this topic

#1 scrimpus

scrimpus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

I just got a slim 360 and it wont read anydiscs at all. Its like the disc isnt even there. The tray closes, the laser comes on and moves slightly back and fourth once as the dics spins for about 1 second then it says open tray as if no disc is present in the drive. The 360 has not been flashed or modded ever. I have tried tweaking the pot and cleaning the lens and still it dont even try to read, would a new laser help or is the drive shot? I have fixed plenty of open tray phats but have never seen one that doesnt even try reading. Any ideas?

#2 Gazc0igne

Gazc0igne

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

defo dead laser, even more likely after you pot tweaked it

replace the laser to fix issue

#3 scrimpus

scrimpus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

The laser isnt dead, I can see that it is working. Seems that even the weakest laser should at least try to read the disc rather that ignore it completely.

#4 relaxxx

relaxxx

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

just bc laser lights up doesn't mean it's in the narrow threshold of accuracy it needs to be in. these are very sensitive pieces of crap. replace the laser - it's a no brainer

#5 scrimpus

scrimpus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:44 AM

I dont doubt its the laser but every other 360 Ive done at least spun up and tried to read if a disc was present.

Edited by scrimpus, 29 March 2012 - 02:45 AM.

#6 Exobex

Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

Might not be the laser, might be the ribbon, worth checking for any signs of damage. Sounds like it's giving the motor an initial spin, not seeing anything at all worth reading and spinning down again. I'd expect any drive to do that if you put a disc in upside down, for example.

Edited by Exobex, 29 March 2012 - 02:54 AM.

#7 scrimpus

scrimpus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:52 AM

Yes, that is exactly what it is doing. The ribbon seems fine, this 360 had not been opened before.

#8 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Just replace it. Its only like $10-15

Also sometimes these slim drives laser gets stuck in the back of the drive and you have to adjust the rails height on which the laser moves, there are 3 screws that have some blue crap underneath them, 2 are exposed and the 3rd is under the PCB. If you mess with this, this can cause you to get open tray errors and this would be a better adjustment to make, AFTER replacing the laser with a new one and if the new one doesnt work it might be something to adjust. Also when you get a new laser, there is usually some solder you have to remove from the laser.

Edited by BoNg420, 03 April 2012 - 02:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users