Speedy Debandit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hey guy's,

I have a Xenon board which I have just done the hybrid x-clamp repair kit fix to it.

After about 3-4 minutes of running time whatever game your playing will freeze, with the one game I've been able to play, Assassin's creed revelations, I still seem to be able to hit the eject button, but when returning to the main menu the graphics go all funny, as in, the main menu has all fuzzy lines going through it, though you can still here the main menu sounds as you press buttons on the controller. And then when you put the game back in you can hear it booting up as per normal sound wise but screen wise 3 quaters of the screen is green, the rest of it is black, some of it even red, I'm pretty sure you guys get the picture...

Question is, wtf have I done to the xbox? blink.gif

#2 Haygar

Haygar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Ultimately, it's the BGA under the gpu that's failing as with most rrod consoles.
So either a reflow or reball is the best fix but being a xenon prob not worth it.

#3 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

while haygar is correct about rrod and xenons if the 360 was working prior to the hybrid it needs adjusting
the hybrid mod is a dark art the tolerances are so fine it has to be perfect and takes a lot of adjusting
its frowned apon now though mainly because we know xclamps are fine

#4 Speedy Debandit

Speedy Debandit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE(sinclairuser @ Mar 31 2012, 11:32 AM) View Post
while haygar is correct about rrod and xenons if the 360 was working prior to the hybrid it needs adjusting
the hybrid mod is a dark art the tolerances are so fine it has to be perfect and takes a lot of adjusting
its frowned apon now though mainly because we know xclamps are fine

Hmmmmm ok

Noob Question, what is it I'm adjusting? unsure.gif

#5 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

the bolts in the heat sinks it needs to be totally flat and evenly clamped down
dont just tighten them down and leave it at that you tighten them in sequence diagonally
tiny adustments on any or all of the bolts may be needed its not easy it takes practice
slacken them all then tighen them gently starting in say topleft then bottom right then top right and so on
small adjustments trying after adjustment till it works if it works with artifacts on screen try adjusting the gpu bolt nearest the hana chip with tiny tightening or slackening tweeks when you get it it will work perfect
p.s i only do this now on my consoles customers machines allways xclamp stock with proper paste simply because a non rrod phat with as5 and xclamp is perfect

Edited by sinclairuser, 31 March 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#6 Speedy Debandit

Speedy Debandit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the reply Sin!

I'll pull the xbox apart and give that a whirl, I'm thinking strip the xbox of it's white outershell and then connect the power and video cords and just keep adjusting till it starts working nicely, making sure the bare chassis doesn't earth out on anything of course!

Cheer's dude smile.gif

EDIT:

QUOTE(sinclairuser @ Mar 31 2012, 12:48 PM) View Post
the bolts in the heat sinks it needs to be totally flat and evenly clamped down

Actually.... I remember when putting the bolts through the holes the head of the bolt wouldn't quite sit flat because of the X on the chassis was very close to the bolt, would it be worth shaving that tiny smidgeon off the edge of the X on the chassis so the bolt sit's completely flat?

The only thing is if I do this I don't have any paste, will the xbox be fine without having to clean and recoat the CPU and GPU in thermal paste?

Edited by Speedy Debandit, 31 March 2012 - 04:06 AM.

#7 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:29 AM

Actually.... I remember when putting the bolts through the holes the head of the bolt wouldn't quite sit flat because of the X on the chassis was very close to the bolt, would it be worth shaving that tiny smidgeon off the edge of the X on the chassis so the bolt sit's completely flat?

The only thing is if I do this I don't have any paste, will the xbox be fine without having to clean and recoat the CPU and GPU in thermal paste?
[/quote]
i woulnt worry about the case mate do it later when you have more paste slacken and re tighten if you have no joy then get more paste do the case reapply paste and build and adjust

#8 Speedy Debandit

Speedy Debandit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

QUOTE(sinclairuser @ Mar 31 2012, 01:29 PM) View Post

i woulnt worry about the case mate do it later when you have more paste slacken and re tighten if you have no joy then get more paste do the case reapply paste and build and adjust

Righto!

I'll try re-tightning the bolts and report back in later tonight (Aussie time) letting you guy's know if I've fixed the problem yet.

Thanks heaps for your help and advice Sin cool.gif

#9 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:44 AM

You need a Reball or an excellent Reflow done to the GPU chip. Reballs have become very affordable. Well worth it too

They need to be using a Dark IR machine

So I strongly agree with Haygar

#10 Speedy Debandit

Speedy Debandit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(wilgo45 @ Mar 31 2012, 02:44 PM) View Post
You need a Reball or an excellent Reflow done to the GPU chip. Reballs have become very affordable. Well worth it too

They need to be using a Dark IR machine

So I strongly agree with Haygar

Ok, noob question, what's a "Reball" or an "excellent reflow" done to the GPU chip? huh.gif

Following Sin's advice I have been having some success with tightening and re-tightening the bolts holding the hybrid clamp in, the xbox does still lock up after about 10 minutes and I am no longer getting weird shit come up on the screen, that to me is still a good move in the right direction.

I stopped about 3 hours ago because the Aussie V8 Supercar's where on over in Symmons Plains over in Tasmania, but I was planning on giving it another crack later tonight.

#11 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

i agree with haygar for rrod but as i understand it this console has not rroded
a simple as5 or equivalent and refit of stock xclamps would have probably been fine but he did the hybrid and thats what im trying to help with
constantly spouting the myth that every 360(phat) needs a reflow/reball is frankly non productive
ps to answer speedys question a reflow is using profesional equipment to reheat the defective part to "reflow" the solder to cure dry joints and such
a reball is when the chip is removed cleaned and new solder balls put on the chip its then refitted and as such is normally out of most users price range compared to the cost of replacing the 360
while we are on the subject this cannot be done properly with hairdriers/blow torches/heatguns or ovens

Edited by sinclairuser, 31 March 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#12 Speedy Debandit

Speedy Debandit

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Thanks Sin!!!

The console has had the RROD before, but that was while the console was still under warrenty! So Microsoft pretty much got some repairer up in Sydney to fix it.

The reason I fitted the hyprid clamp was because the console has the tendency to lock up once played for a while on most games, though interestingly enough this doesn't seem to happen with any of the assassin's creed games, just games like GTA IV, Saints Row, Midnight Club, etc etc. I thought this was happening because the console was getting too hot, hence the hybrid clamp, but I'm now also thinking of trying to clean the laser inside the DVD drive.

I haven't touched the console since Saturday afternoon, today I've actually been getting a bit of practice in the go kart (Yes race go karts at a professional level), so I shall touch base again with the xbox tomorrow evening and see where I end up.

Any tips or suggestions are still more than welcome, thanks Sin and all other's who have replyed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users