Photo

Installed Larger Hdd In Xbox, Back To Ms Dash!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FRK

FRK

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Hi!

I followed this tutorial to install a larger HDD in my Xbox: http://www.techfreak.../modxbox2.shtml but now I am back to the default MS dash!
I don't understand why, because it is supposed to be an exact copy of my Xbox hdd.
I can see that all files are on the HDD (by going to Memory in the MS Dash, I can see UnleashX Xbox Launcher, XBMC etc) but I just can't switch to those dashes... And ofcourse, I can't boot HeXEn, else it would be easy wink.gif.
I don't understand what I've done wrong. Do I need to softmod my Xbox from scratch now or?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

You probably just have stock ms dash files on C if your original softmod used shadow C.
You need to re-softmod with that drive. You could follow the same steps you did to softmod originally.
(You have your eeprom.bin though so no need to hotswap.)

#3 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

OPTION 2 (if you can't re-softmod)

Download an auto-installer disc, like Hexen (use google to find it). Burn it to a DVD-R @4x speed. When that is done, put your OLD HD back into your Xbox. Then, boot the disc you made and wait for it to boot. (I believe the light on the front of the xbox turns red) At this point, your virtual C, virtual eeprom, etc should be off. You can now start the tutorial you originally followed from the beginning.

Also, It probably wouldn't hurt to pre-format the NEW HD in your PC before you start the tutorial again so that you are starting with a clean HD.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 06 April 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#4 FRK

FRK

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

Thank you both for the replies, really appreciate it!!

I used the second solution provided by xboxmods2977 and this time it worked like it should! Thanks again

One question tho: What is the normal amount of free space on your C drive? Mine is 161 MB in XBMC and just 1.39MB according to HeXEn....

Thanks!

Edited by FRK, 06 April 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#5 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:34 AM

That's prefectly normal. HeXEn is showing you the real C, the normal boot shows you shadow C. Shadow C has free space, real C is deliberately full to prevent dash updates.

#6 FRK

FRK

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Apr 7 2012, 01:34 AM) View Post

That's prefectly normal. HeXEn is showing you the real C, the normal boot shows you shadow C. Shadow C has free space, real C is deliberately full to prevent dash updates.

Thanks for the excellent explanation, Heimdall! It makes perfect sense to me now.

Thanks guys, I've learned a lot here the past days!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users