Photo

Difference Between Jtag And Rgh? Is Jtag Better?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sofakng

sofakng

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

What's the difference in a JTAG unit and RGH unit?

I understand how RGH works, and I know that JTAG requires an older dashboard, but due to the boot delay (and inconsistency) of RGH, it seems like JTAG is much better. Oh, and it sounds like a JTAG console doesn't have any soldered wires that can break/degrade (or be soldered inproperly, etc)

Am I missing anything? Can a JTAG console be updated to the latest dashboard always?

Edited by sofakng, 07 April 2012 - 07:11 AM.

#2 CarpeDiem0

CarpeDiem0

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Perpetuating quality information, minimizing rumors, crushing lies, and helping n00bs.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6d
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Once applied, they are both functionally the same. It is two different exploits/hacks that result in the same goal; the ability to run unsigned code. Both require soldering wires and components to the motherboard. The quality of the solder/mod work depends on the modder.

As far as the boot times, yes, RGH boot time is still a work in progress. In many cases, it is comparable to JTAG boot time (~5 seconds). Keep in mind that RGH 2.0 is on its way.

As long as the efuses are protected (removed/bridged out the resister), you should not lose the JTAG-ability of your JTAG-able board. Yes, hacked dashes and the tools to build them are still released for both JTAG and RGH.

Hope that helps!

Edited by CarpeDiem0, 07 April 2012 - 08:50 AM.

#3 sofakng

sofakng

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Ahhh, thanks!

I thought that a JTAG didn't require any soldering, my mistake. I guess both can be "flaky" but it still seems like JTAG is a bit better because boot times aren't random/long.

#4 AirCap

AirCap

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

I would rather use RGH than J-Tag as the RGH can be done to any console. (Except those, running 14719 - line mine! sad.gif )

#5 sofakng

sofakng

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

That's not true... RGH 2.0 was released last night so you can now RGH your console as well smile.gif

(Unless it's a Xenon on 17419, I think)

#6 SNAAAKE

SNAAAKE

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

rgh boot time isnt some ridiculous 3 minute long or anything. most xboxes boot under 10 seconds with the coolrunner B. my slim boots in like 2 seconds. Id rather have a sexy rgh slim xbox than deal with old jtags that might die on you or whatever. yes I know jaspers are good but I they are also rare. you have a better chance of finding a glitchable console than a jtagable.

#7 Aldanga

Aldanga

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Interests:Hardware,software,coding,algorithms, troubleshooting, tinkering with anything I can get my hands on.
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Like SNAAAKE said, RGH boot times are getting much better. However, I prefer SMC/JTAG hack consoles because you never have to worry about failing boots. They work first time every time. On the other hand, I can imagine very little cooler than dual-booting a slim.

If you can get an exploitable system (preferably a Jasper) for cost comparable or cheaper than a slim, go for it. If not, I'd go for the slim and use RGH instead.

#8 Toddler

Toddler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

I've been sitting on a JTAGable Jasper NIB for a couple of years. When I jumped in, I bought two of them with one for a backup. I have no experience with RGH, but it sure is nice to power on a JTAG and just have it work without issue. I mean it is just exactly what you would want it to be, no messing around with patching and stuff aside from the annual dashboard upgrade. I've also got a stock Jasper for occasional online play, and it's pretty convenient to be able to use the same power supply and Kinect cables and quickly swap them out.

That said, if the RGH 2.0 is as solid as a JTAG, that sounds like a good option. But the whole dual-NAND thing sounds like trouble. I remember when it was commonly thought that iXtreme was undetectable, and of course that was wrong. I'd rather just have two separate consoles I think, but if I'm behind the times, feel free to bring me up to date.

#9 iglitare

iglitare

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(Toddler @ Apr 23 2012, 03:19 AM) View Post

That said, if the RGH 2.0 is as solid as a JTAG, that sounds like a good option.

as itīs based on a glitch-hack, it would never be as fast as JTAG-console.
Ok, it depends on your Hardware.
But RGH2.0 is nothing more than RGH Slim transfered to newer CB Phats.

Has nothing to do with stability or faster boot times...
The excat opposite is maybe the truth.
RGH2.0 Phats boots much worse than RGH1.0 Phats...

As you have 2 Jtagable Jaspers, do the JTAG Hack. Much better and cheaper.
Or did i miss your point?
Sorry, english is not my native language, so maybe i missunderstood something...

Edited by iglitare, 26 April 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#10 Toddler

Toddler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE(iglitare @ Apr 26 2012, 01:22 PM) View Post

As you have 2 Jtagable Jaspers, do the JTAG Hack. Much better and cheaper.
Or did i miss your point?
Sorry, english is not my native language, so maybe i missunderstood something...

You did miss my point. I already have a JTAG with another JTAGable as a spare. I was just commenting to the guy who asked what is the difference between JTAG and RGH that JTAG is ideal but RGH may be almost as good these days.

#11 Haygar

Haygar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

I've got both here. A BB Jasper jtag and since the kids early Falcon jtag died I picked a little used late Falcon which had been updated to 8955 (doh!). It's now a RGH and to be honest they both perform equally well.
Apart from the rare non-boot on the rgh it will normally boot within 5 seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users