8 replies to this topic

#1 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

I want to display 720p/1080i on my HDTV with my TSOP'd XBOX. I was wondering what the best method of going about this is?

1) Does the offical M$ A/V pack give the same results as soldering it myself (JaredC01 method) or just buying a an Ebay Xbox-component connector?

2) Does the MS A/V pack also improve sound?

3) What is the importance/reason for a switch? Can't I just use the component cables the whole time?

Thanks.

Edited by kenzo42, 10 April 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#2 MrMajst3r

MrMajst3r

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

If you use good quality connectors and make good soldering, you should be able to get similiar effect.

Ebay component cables are poor quality. Only original MS or Monster cable is worth to buying it.

I don't remember if orignal AV Pack has coaxial or optical 5.1 digital out... But if you solder connectors, you can have both.

Switch is neccessary to enable HDTV mode. It informs console, that you have HD AV Pack plugged.

#3 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

You can't simply dismiss all third party cables like that. Some eBay component cables are of variable quality, others are very good.

#4 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE(MrMajst3r @ Apr 10 2012, 10:49 AM) View Post

Switch is neccessary to enable HDTV mode. It informs console, that you have HD AV Pack plugged.

-Why can't you just leave it in HD mode the whole time? Why even switch?

-So the MS pack does everything the soldered method does?

Thanks for the replies.

#5 MrMajst3r

MrMajst3r

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Sorry, there are few quite good cables on Ebay...

You can leave it in HD mode whole time. But there might be problems using other cables (SCART or COMPOSITE). So If you plan to use different cables, you shouldn't solder permament bridge.

Yes, MS cable do the same, without soldering. I checked, it has an optical audio out.

#6 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

The Xbox High Definition AV Pack connects the Xbox console to most TVs with interlaced component video inputs, including High Definition-ready TVs that support 480i and either 480p, 720p, or 1080i component video signals. Look for HDTV support on Xbox game packages. Movie playback is in 480i only.
This pack also supports digital or surround sound audio receivers. Sound systems with Dolby Digital decoding and a fiber-optic cable are required to enable Dolby Digital sound. Sound systems with Dolby Pro Logic decoding are required to enable Dolby surround sound. (Additional cables and sound systems sold separately.) High Definition-ready TVs are required to enable high-definition features.

Why is movie playback only in 480i? Can you do 720p movie playback with soldered method?

Edited by kenzo42, 10 April 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#7 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

That's DVD playback on an unmodded Xbox. On a modded Xbox it's whatever resolution you can persuade XBMC to play. With a properly encoded film you can get 720p to work - just.

Again, as you seem to have missed it first time: soldering or an external cable give you EXACTLY the same results.

#8 kenzo42

kenzo42

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks.

-For the single digital coaxial out, does that carry stereo sound or is it mono?

-When buying the component jacks, are these the same as RCA jacks?

-What gauge are you guys using for component cables? 18 or 22 AWG?

#9 MrMajst3r

MrMajst3r

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

RCA is RCA. There is no difference between component, composite or audio connectors.

Coaxial output send 5.1 sound if available, if not, stereo. You must have TV or amplifier with this input (it is usually yellow RCA). It won't work when you plug coaxial cable to stereo L/R input (white+red).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users