• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JonnieMazda

JonnieMazda

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:09 AM

So the way that I tend to transfer things to my xbox is I open "My network Places" in windows xp and then type ftp://xbox.xbox@10.10.1.65 and that lets me drag and drop files into my xbox's hard drive partitions. It seems to transfer reasonably fast too. The only problem is that some things that have Files inside of Folders inside of Folders inside of Folders seem to cause it to error and stop ftping and I then have to go inside the folders and copy the files individually (which is very time consuming and a problem). This only seems to happen if the files are a few/couple folders deep.

I have heard about using flash FXP, Smart ftp, and Filezilla. I have tried all of them with no luck. All of them seemed to transfer files at a incredibly slow rate taking over an hour to transfer 2gb whereas my windows method would do it in less than 10 minutes. Only problem is I have to sit there and babysit it the whole time making sure it doesn't error on me.

If anyone knows a better way or a reason why these ftp clients aren't working out I would appreciate any help you can give.

My computer is connected to a modem/router with a Ethernet cable and my xbox is also connected to the same Modem/Router with a Ethernet cable. If you need any more info to help feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance,
JonnieMazda

#2 johnney5

johnney5

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:gold teetheses
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE(JonnieMazda @ Apr 11 2012, 12:09 AM) View Post

The only problem is that some things that have Files inside of Folders inside of Folders inside of Folders seem to cause it to error and stop ftping and I then have to go inside the folders and copy the files individually (which is very time consuming and a problem). This only seems to happen if the files are a few/couple folders deep.

The Xbox uses the FATX file system:

FATX is a family of file systems designed for Microsoft's Xbox video game console hard disk drives and memory cards,[34][35] introduced in 2001.

While resembling the same basic design ideas as FAT16 and FAT32, the FATX16 and FATX32 on-disk structures are simplified but fundamentally incompatible with normal FAT16 and FAT32 file systems, making it impossible for normal FAT file system drivers to mount such volumes.

The non-bootable superblock sector is 4 KB in size and holds a 18 byte large BPB-like structure completely different from normal BPBs. Clusters are typically 16 KB in size and there is only one copy of the FAT on the Xbox. Directory entries are 64 bytes in size instead of the normal 32 bytes. Files can have filenames up to 42 characters long using the OEM character set and be up to 4 GB minus 1 byte in size. The on-disk timestamps hold creation, modification and access dates and times but differ from FAT: in FAT, the epoch is 1980; in FATX, the epoch is 2000.[citation needed] On the Xbox 360, the epoch is 1980.[36]

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FATX#FATX )

So as you can see from that description, there is a limit to the number of characters in the filename, and also a limit on filesize. As far as the directory structure goes, I am almost sure there is a limit on folder depth as well - maybe someone else knows the definite answer to that though.

Now, for the fact that you were able to transfer those files manually, this might be something different --- the only thing that comes to mind is that Windows FTP is causing the problem. I'm kind of stabbing in the dark here, but I know that FlashFXP has never failed me and I've been using it without any issues since I got my Xbox modded in ~2002.

Check this guide: http://www.xbox-scen...es/speed-up.php

If that doesn't work, let me know because there might be one other setting you can try.

Edit: by the way, if you are ever stuck in that situation where you want to transfer a LOT of files that exceed the character limit of the FATX filesystem, you can try this application ---> http://xbox-scene.co...pylVlyZLrCYDvrk It works great smile.gif Obviously you can't use it on files that are a part of retail Xbox games though because those games will crash when they look for a specific filename (this is better for your music collection, your movie collection, and/or your roms)

Edited by johnney5, 16 April 2012 - 02:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users