Photo

Replacement Fan Modding, Adding Ram Etc Etc...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Wahad

Wahad

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hello,

I found couple of topic, and someone posted couple of tutorials on external links which is down for some reason so i decided to ask again, i belive same question as someone else asked like 100 times till now.

With what cooler fan can I replace original Xbox inside fan, because this one is so noisy, it really bothers me. Temps are ok but I cant hear nothing beside it when i turn it on. I got modded xbox with 80gb HDD inside and XBMC installed, waiting for my Xbox HD AV Pack to connect it to HDTV so i was wondering to do some modding before cables come.

So if someone can put link to tutorial or just post something useful i will be very grateful.

Second one, how can i upgrade my RAM inside of xbox? Is it sdram modules, ddr1 modules or something specific and if it is specific, where can I find it? And what will I get if I upgrade ram? I read somewhere that if you upgrade CPU, games can go twice as fast as normal because of compatibility, so is that gonna happen with upgrading RAM memory too or not?

Third one, How can I swap this HDD for bigger one (120gb-160gb)? What do I need to do that and is there a way I can do ghosting of this HDD to other one?

Thanks for your help.

#2 Wahad

Wahad

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

Just for update.

Xbox is 1.6 version, so no coolers, only heatsinks and one 60mm fan that i swapped for 80mm fan like an hour ago.

After one hour of gameplay temps are CPU: 59 GPU 49

I dont know to what pin to connect additional fans or if i take heatsink with cooler on top, where to plug in pin connector for fan on heatsink?

#3 MrMajst3r

MrMajst3r

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

Additional RAM, larger HDD, there are plenty of topics about.

Your temps could be lower. I suggest put new thermal grease and mount one 80mm fan instead of original 70mm fan and connect it to 12V from molex or just the black wire connect to GND. Look for "12v mod".

#4 Wahad

Wahad

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Will change thermal paste soon, also im looking to put heatsinks with fans, so im planing to take power from hdd with something like this. Fan i put on molex is 800rpm so its slow, but its more quiet than default, it has sound as aeroplane ohmy.gif.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000BSJGL0

If its possible ofc. I found couple of topic about draining power from other places on motherboard but i really dont know if 1.6 board is the same as previous versions, since i found topics only with 1.2 and 1.3 xboxes...

Edited by Wahad, 15 April 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#5 Iacon

Iacon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

For thermal paste use Artic Silver 5. Buy it directly from the manufacturer's website to avoid the cheap Chinese knock-offs from ebay.

There's a couple of tuts on fan upgrades on the main page of the site. I would go with an Antec 80mm tri-cool (LED or non-LED) fan. The tri-cool has a three fan speed switch and pushes a lot air out. Noise level is decent. You will definitely need a dremel to make the mod a lot easier though.
http://www.xbox-scen...?p=191|298|#298

There are a lot of hdd upgrade tutorials.

#6 alpha_prime

alpha_prime

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE(Iacon @ Jun 18 2012, 02:50 AM) View Post

For thermal paste use Artic Silver 5. Buy it directly from the manufacturer's website to avoid the cheap Chinese knock-offs from ebay.

There's a couple of tuts on fan upgrades on the main page of the site. I would go with an Antec 80mm tri-cool (LED or non-LED) fan. The tri-cool has a three fan speed switch and pushes a lot air out. Noise level is decent. You will definitely need a dremel to make the mod a lot easier though.
http://www.xbox-scen...?p=191|298|#298

There are a lot of hdd upgrade tutorials.

arctic mx4 or mx2 would be a better choice: more up to date and non-capacitive (as5 is and can sometimes give problems)

#7 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

MX-2 was .99 cents a couple days back from mwave (1.5 gram tube).
For a fan, Vantec Stealth 80mm case fan was the common fan of choice back in the day because it's silent and blows a decent amount of air. Last time I checked, newegg had them for $9.99

You can't upgrade RAM on a 1.6 and it isn't plug & play like a PC anyway.
It requires finding compatible RAM chips and soldering them onto the motherboard.

Link to mx-2

Edited by Alex548, 20 June 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#8 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

I personaly use mx-4
Prefer it to the arctic silver range.
I buy them in 30G thingys They seem to work out cheaper like that.

#9 cricri_pingouin

cricri_pingouin

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

I bought a big syringe of AS5 ages ago, use it on everything, and never had any problems, due to conductivity or other.
Any 80mm fan works, abeit it'll probably need trimming if you don't want to break the stock bottom clips (I used a dremel). I use a 80mm Noctua fan myself, it's very quiet and works well.
Other cooling hacks I did:
- lapped GPU and CPU heatsinks (took me a while as they were warped!).
- stuck a heatsink to northbrige using thermally conducting double-sided tape (Sekisui 5760 IIRC).
- cut out the back of the HDD tray with a dremel so that the 80mm fan sucks air from it and thus fresh air circulates around the HDD.

I haven't opened the old XBOX in ages, so that's off the top off my head.

Edited by cricri_pingouin, 21 June 2012 - 01:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users