21 replies to this topic

#16 RussWWFC

RussWWFC

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Nope, it's OK, all working now.

If I can't get the old one back to softmodded mode, will just sell it as a normal console

Just installing emulators as we speak

#17 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

No, you're not understanding the problem. Your new Xbox is one click away from the same fate as your old one, because you've used SID. The fact that it is working now means nothing - your old Xbox used to work as well.

SID allows you to install softmods that have no shadow C protection. Shadow C hides the softmod files, so games can't overwrite them. No shadow C = games can wreck your softmod, as you found out with your old Xbox.

Krayzie 1.1.1 fixes that, and HeXEn will upgrade your Xbox to Krayzie 1.1.1 with no fuss - but ultimately it's your choice. If you're happy to live with an unprotected softmod then leave it as it is.

Edit: And you can't sell the old one as a normal console with error 21........

Edited by Heimdall, 26 April 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#18 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

What is the deal with SID? I've never used it but SID 5 claims to use xman954's latest revision of nkpatcher and uses ndure and shadow C is available, though I don't know if it is setup by default.

Edited by Movax, 26 April 2012 - 05:34 PM.

#19 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

There is no problem with SID 5, it does indeed use a recent nkpatcher, and it's very good. The issue is that shadow C (and virtual eeprom) are options, not installed by default, so unless they've read the manual and understood the issues most people don't select the appropriate options, and can then have the problems that RussWWFC had with his original Xbox.

#20 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thanks, maybe I'll try it sometime, though I usually just use ndure installer files and put them in the right place by whatever method is handy.

#21 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

if your going to go for sid. then skip it and go for autobuilder v3 instead.
SPPV has been releasing these things prety regular, and auto builder v3 is the latest incarnation.
its xboxhdm/sid based. has a revized and updated nkpatcher.

then he also has "Pimped CD"
prety much the same but a much smaller download. without all the extras included as options on autobuilder.

Edited by shambles1980, 26 April 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#22 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

SID offers six single boot choices including three with Virtual C but as Heimdall indicates there is no default. The Virtual C options are listed last as they are in the SID online manual too so chances are most users would likely go for one of the unprotected options. It would certainly be more sensible if they were listed with the Virtual C options first and a recommendation to use these options.

As far as I can see the manual doesn't say what alternatives in regard to Virtual C the dual boot options provide now. In older SID versions you weren't given any Virtual C choices at all. I have two machines never updated still running fine for years despite using such an old unprotected SID and a dodgy copy of that too.

Using AID though, at least with the One-Click installs, single boot with Virtual C is the prime recommendation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users