Photo

2 Day Birthday Stormtrooper Xbox Project!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

My best friends birthday is day after tomorrow. He is a Star Wars fanatic! His Fiance is going to buy him the r2d2 360 for him as a wedding gift, but that's several months away....

In the mean time I want to build him an original xbox themed to "Stormtrooper".
So far I have the xbox, the TSOP is already flashed, The jewel is already cleared and ready to paint, I'm going to start masking off the "X" to paint, etc... yadda yadda yadda. hard drive is ready, led's, controller blah blah blah....

The thing that I want to do to make this xbox stand out from the rest is... I want it to play the Star Wars theme when it turns on. I went and bough a "singing" star wars greeting card that's perfect. I gutted the card and now I'm looking at a small PCB, 2 1.5v watch batteries and a speaker. I know the mechanics of how the card works, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it trip when the xbox is powered on.

I would like to remove the batteries and use a 3v line from the xbox... I know where that is... so I have the power mapped but I was wondering how to trip it. Can I solder leads to the "spring" and the pad and attach them to ground points on the motherboard?

Has anyone else ever done this?
What was your method?

inb4: set XBMC to play it at start up
I have already told the bios' to not display the flubber or sound etc.. I want it to start playing as soon as the power button is pressed and it should be done by the time the xbox is completely booted.

Thanks in advance!
-Josh

P.S. I am taking pictures as I go and when I'm done I'll show you guys. I don't want to post anything right now because I think he slinks around here once in a while...

#2 ttsgeb

ttsgeb

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

How you can do it if you absolutely insist on not just using dash mod:

If it only plays once after you open the card, you need to have your momentary tact for power trigger a persistently (open?) circuit. You also need a way to check that the xbox is actually turning on and not off.

A way I might try is to use the Blue 3.3v PowOK line to power the microcontroller... Normally you wouldn't use this as a power source for anything, but with a device such as this, I doubt it would be an issue.

After that, you are going to want to build an amplifier for the audio line, and splice it into the left, or mono, audio liine on the avout port so that the sound will come from the tv, rather than the xbox itself. This should not be powered by the 3.3v powok line, but rather something like the 12v line.

Hope this has helped in some way.

#3 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

thanks for the quick reply.... Yes the card only plays once... I have a 1.4 delta PSU and from what I can tell I should be able to use blue, orange or white...

I'm going to try the blue line first.

I'll report back in a few minutes

#4 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

the blue line was a no go... I used one of the orange lines and it worked.

When I did use the blue line it took a second for the LED's to kick in, then they flashed really fast then off.
Using this Guide , because I have a 1.4 Delta.... I used the orange line on the left side. (white, black, orange) Third pin up from the left...

Thanks!

#5 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

A video of it working:

IPB Image

#6 crusty_punk

crusty_punk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

does anybody know how to do this:
Splash Screen Size

Thanks in advance!
-Josh

#7 ttsgeb

ttsgeb

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

Alright, now make it play through the TV in addition to/instead of that speaker. biggrin.gif

I'm sure it'd sound a bit better without the sound from the audio clipping on that speaker.

Edited by ttsgeb, 18 April 2012 - 05:26 AM.

#8 iwanttheagrocrag

iwanttheagrocrag

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:SMC hacking, TSOP, (Offline) game modification, Case modification, Bacon, America, Monster trucks
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

HAHAHAHA! that Fn rocks.

#9 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

i would have thought you could have used a star was themed flubber anim as well edpesialy if your using the ind bios.. (there should be one ready made..
Not 100% on that though so i will have a look at the ones i have.

im not sure about changing the flubber sound to a mp3 as i have never done that but prehaps it is possible but i cant say i ever heard of any one doing that.

edit..

seems im a bit late to the party so its to late so now i wont bother looking at the anims i have.

Edited by shambles1980, 19 April 2012 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users