TriggerWolf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hi everyone,

Joined this forum to try to get some information on modding the xbox 360.

I've bought a used 360 a couple days ago, still waiting for it to arrive. I'm already planning some mods for it, but I'll need some help or advice on a mod or two.
The xbox 360 has a faulty DVD drive (fails to read), the idea is actually to do the RGH so that I can run backups and homebrew.

The mods I would like to do are:

-RGH
-Place a 50 or 60mm fan on the front side of the CPU HS
-Mod the top cover (it's actually halfway done from a previous RR'd 360)
-Add lights
-Cover with carbon fibre vinyl

This is the half way done top cover:
IPB Image IPB Image

Suggestions are much welcome on what to improve it happy.gif

That cover was to be part of a project I was doing to house a mini ITX mobo on an xbox 360 case...

My idea for that cover is to frost the acrylic, but I've tried searching throughout google for a solution, but nothing concrete on the subject.
Can someone tell me a cost effective and simple way to make the acrylic have the frosted effect? Preferably a gradient (from clear on one side to "frosted" on the other)
Regarding lighting, I intend to place a couple of 10cm bare cathodes on the top cover to light up the green acrylic, from the side.

Thanks

Cheers beerchug.gif

#2 satanicshrew

satanicshrew

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

That window looks flawless nice cuts man! If I were doing that case mod I would personally drop the carbon fiber plan just due to the fact that carbon fiber is way to over done on every thing from cars to children toys. I like you back up and disk drive replacement plan. If that acrylic is florescent are you going to use a UV cold cathode or LEDs? If you did then it would make an awesome effect to the window. Either way this looks nice. I will be following this mod so keep the updates coming.

#3 TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thanks!

It was really my first time modding something. The only thing that I think I could've avoided was the logo to reach the mesh on the right side, if you look closer, it made the cut a little bumpy.

I was thinking in painting it at first, matte black, but I never painted, and it's a pretty lengthy job. Regarding the carbon... maybe you're right. Maybe I'll have to look into other alternatives.

Regarding the lights,yes, I have a couple 10cm UV CCFLs that I was thinking of sticking them to the top cover, sided with the acrylic, as it is UV reactive, and quite a bit too. And I wanted the acrylic to have that frosted look, for extra lighting on it.

I kinda wanted to give the 360 a more industrial look, hence having the M4 hex screws already holding the acrylic in place. laugh.gif

Cheers

#4 mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

How about using countersunk alloy bolts, you would need to countersink the holes in the case to get the bolt flush?

IPB Image

Or even use countersunk alloy washers like this?

IPB Image

They come in various anodized colours.

Edited by mikesnowdon, 17 April 2012 - 08:29 PM.

#5 TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE(mikesnowdon @ Apr 17 2012, 08:28 PM) View Post

How about using countersunk alloy bolts, you would need to countersink the holes in the case to get the bolt flush?

IPB Image

Or even use countersunk alloy washers like this?

IPB Image

They come in various anodized colours.

Did you mean those screws to replace the M4 hex I have? I like the idea of having those holding the acrylic in place. But those screws do look nice, specially the lime green ones.

Edited by TriggerWolf, 18 April 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#6 mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:13 AM

Yes mate.

You could countersink the holes they pass though in the plastic case so the bolt heads sit flush, plus it adds a bit of colour. cool.gif

#7 TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

I was currently wondering about their colour, since there seems to be some variety to the screw and washer colour, having the screw with the same colour of the case (undefined) and the washer with a different colour.

I don't really want to overdo with the green. If possible mix other colours, like orange or so.

I still have a couple brand new primer and satin black cans lying around in the garage that I bought a couple years ago rolleyes.gif, for the computer mod I was to do back then. Looks like I'll really have to use them sooner or later.

#8 mikesnowdon

mikesnowdon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

Cool dude.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses smile.gif

#9 TriggerWolf

TriggerWolf

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

Okay, sorry for taking so long to update. I was still waiting for the xbox to arrive. Since it was shipped by boat it took nearly a month to get here!

Well, I did some fitting tests with the top cover that I did on the xbox I got, the xbox metallic case is going to need a few adjustments to be able to fit the cover, as the acrylic makes it too thick hitting the back, where the fans are. That can be easily fixed...

I'm going to also get the RGH equipment I need but in the mean time I'll try to start on the case painting and/or doing some adjustments on the cover.

#10 while

while

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

That window looks flawless nice cuts man! IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users