• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OKDeric

OKDeric

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Hey everyone. Thought I would post my walk-through on how to modify your controller similar to a Scuf controller. I haven't actually seen a scuf controller in person but didn't have the cash to drop on one to try it out so I thought I would try a go at it myself. I had a junk controller as you can see in the pics and figured what the heck.

Parts needed.
  • 4-40 set screws Qty 2
  • 4-40 Hex head screw Qty 2
  • 4-40 Flat head screw Qty 2
  • 4-40 Tap
  • Drill bit for 4-40 non tapped hole
  • Drill bit for underside button holes
  • Drill
  • Soldering iron
  • Solder
  • Wire (I use old FDD and HDD cables)
  • Tactile switches with long post Qty 2
  • Lexan strip or sheet
  • Sandpaper (I use 320 grit)
  • hex wrenches
  • T8 Torx driver
  • Wired or Wireless 360 controller
  • Nail or some form of punch
  • PS3 style thumb stick

IPB Image

Step 1: Take the controller apart. I'm not going into details on this since there are tons of guides on this.

Step 2: adding set screws and trigger stops

Remove the lower shell and find the indentation for the trigger buttons on the inside towards the center. This is where we are going to drill the holes for the set screws. The set screws themselves push against a flat area on the triggers. As you turn the screw in this pushes the trigger down allowing you to set its rest position. Use your punch tool to mark an area so the outside edge of the drilled hole will be at the lowest indention. See the following picture for details.

IPB Image

Once the hole is drilled use the 4-40 tap to cut threads in the hole. Be sure to cut them from the front of the controller face.

IPB Image

Now mark a spot to drill on the trigger buttons bottom with the punch or nail to drill a hole for the stops. I did this at the bottom of the trigger where there is a flat spot but still placed it towards the front of the trigger. Note you do not need to remove the trigger. My triggers were already drilled so I grabbed a spare one for this tutorial.

IPB Image

Drill out the hole and tap it.

IPB Image

Step 3 Bottom buttons.

I'm not going to go into detail on this too much since there are tutorials out there on adding buttons to the bottom of the xbox controller.

You need to drill 4 holes. The two at the top are drilled and tapped for 4-40

The bottom needs to be drilled out to allow the tactile switch posts through.

Distance between the holes should allow enough room for the lexan paddle to come into contact with the switch easily.

IPB Image

Step 4 under paddles.

Cut 2 lexan strips 11/32 x 2"1/8. Sand the edges smooth and round the ends with sandpaper. Also here's a tip if you want super smooth plastic. Perform a final sand of the lexan with fine steel wool. Wet the steel wool if you want a slicker surface.

Sand one end of the lexan strip so it has a flat angle on it. This will raise the paddle above the tactile switch when screwed into place Once complete drill a hole in with the bit used for the tactile switches.

NOTE: If you wanted you could add a second hole below the first and use 2 flat head screws to secure the paddles more securely.

Also I used lexan since it is not prone to breaking when flexed.

IPB Image

Step 5 Putting it all together.

Reassemble the controller. if you like you can install a PS3 style thumbstick on the right analog and remove the rumble packs

Bottom

IPB Image

Prior to inserting the setscrews sand the bottom to remove the cutting lip of the screw. This helps prevent damage where they come into contact with the trigger

IPB Image

Front assembled

IPB Image

Step 6. Adjust the controller to your liking and have fun.

Total cost for the mods were around $8 for parts I didn't have.

#2 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Hey thanks for that. very kool. i had to Google scuf controller. Had no idea what they were.. what exactly does the set screw do. what does it effect when its adjusted?

#3 OKDeric

OKDeric

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Turning the setscrew in moves the trigger in. Basically allows you to remove the deadspace of the trigger before it firds on some FPS games. The screws on the bottom of the trigger stop it from going all the way in so you are only using that sweet spot space when firing.

#4 mephy

mephy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

question... where can you get lexan strips?

#5 dopesun

dopesun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Home depot has em cheap..

or any supply store that sells lexan window panels.

just have to get the right size.

and those look like 1/8.

#6 meltron3030

meltron3030

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:15 AM

Does anyone know the length of the three different screw types used in this guide?

4-40 set screws
4-40 Hex head screw
4-40 Flat head screw

Thanks!

#7 OKDeric

OKDeric

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

I use .25" screws. They set screws can be shorter though. I just went with what my local hardware store had.

I have also changed a few things from this inital post from using the controller. I will get some pics and add a reply with the information.

Also a few have asked and I will not perform this mod on a controller for money. The information here was meant to be a DIY tool. If you want to pay someone to mod your controller just send it to Scuf.

QUOTE(meltron3030 @ Jul 2 2012, 06:15 AM)  

Does anyone know the length of the three different screw types used in this guide?

4-40 set screws
4-40 Hex head screw
4-40 Flat head screw

Thanks!

#8 rafaliyo

rafaliyo

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

Excellent job!! Could you put links where to buy the parts? For example ebay?? Here in my country its difficult to find them and I would like to make one of these controllers

#9 surfrash

surfrash

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for that tutorial. I just ordered a scuf controller, but it won't be in for a few weeks, so I decided to mod my current controller, and it works great. I'll post pictures later. Thanks again.

#10 ericemery

ericemery

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:24 AM

I found this site, but searching the vastness of google for an elegant trigger stop. I think this will do the trick, but I cant see any pictures. (so I dont know how it would actually look, but I can use my imagination. lol)

Thanks for posting this write up. its easy to follow and well written.

#11 Xandrel

Xandrel

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Did mine just based on looking at the pictures on the Scuf website. Works very well, just adds a louder click to your triggers (people were complaining on live). Total cost for the trigger mods were 32 cents! Only takes 20 minutes if you have the right tools. Good tut btw. Just fix the picture links, or if you dont mind I can throw some on. I apologize if the picture is a monster. Testing posting from an iPhone 5.
IPB Image

#12 Memphi

Memphi

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Great thread, like the above post said the pictures are down. Xandrel, if you don't post them here could you PM me some pictures?

#13 FuriousOZZ

FuriousOZZ

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Bonjour a tous
je n'arrive pas a voir les photos
pouvez vous m'aider svp

merci d'avance

#14 jamieltd

jamieltd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

with pictures ---> http://over30clan.fo...roller-xbox-360

#15 matty1200

matty1200

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Xandrel @ Dec 2 2012, 09:58 PM) View Post

Did mine just based on looking at the pictures on the Scuf website. Works very well, just adds a louder click to your triggers (people were complaining on live). Total cost for the trigger mods were 32 cents! Only takes 20 minutes if you have the right tools. Good tut btw. Just fix the picture links, or if you dont mind I can throw some on. I apologize if the picture is a monster. Testing posting from an iPhone 5.
IPB Image

Hi,

With the original tutorial above by OP, it seems to somehow skip the section on how the triggers can be set (using the x2 grub screws beside the triggers) all it indicates it how to sand down the grubs but that's it, hence why im kind of confused.

Xandrel (or anyone else who has done the adjustable trigger setting) if possible could you please provide some help on how you implemented your ones by any chance, only asking as I want to give this a go (just the trigger adjustable setting not the stoppers happy.gif ) please let me know. (pictures would help or a sideline tutorial just showing how the grubs were fitted internally/externally would also be appreciated)

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by matty1200, 28 January 2013 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users