competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

I recently got a new xbox so I was transferring all my files from my first box to the new one and the only problem I ran into was that some of my game saves are now corrupted on the new box. Are some of these game saves console/hdd specific or something? And is there any way around this? If i were to use a memory card to transfer the saves, would the outcome be any different? Thanks in advance.

#2 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Are you positive they were still okay on the old hard drive? There should be no issue if your eeprom hasn't changed....edit: misread, I thought you just changed hard drives. Some game saves are locked to the eeprom, google should find some answers.

Edited by Movax, 21 April 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#3 xboxmods2977

xboxmods2977

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yes. Some game saves (Black, Timesplitters 2, and most EA games, to name a few) are embedded with xbox specific eeprom data.

There was a PC utility floating around the net for resigning these problematic saves to a new xbox but I have never used it, so I can't remember the name or attest to it's success rate*.

Another option is to use configuration magic on the new xbox and manually edit the eeprom data to match the values from the old xbox*.

Another option is to simply dump the eeprom from your old xbox, prepare it with liveinfo, (sometimes required if the 2 consoles in question are different versions), and then write it to the new xbox*^.

It is basically a matter of personal preference which method you use. I have used both of the eeprom methods so I know they work, but I also always hardmod via TSOP flash or homebrew chip, and I don't keep 1.6's around long (softmod and sell cheap biggrin.gif ).

KEY:
* This method can get complicated if either xbox uses a virtual eeprom (softmod).
^ This method may fail if either xbox is a version 1.6.

NOTE:As you may have noticed from my comments, this task isn't worth the time and effort if either of your xbox consoles (especially the new one) were/are softmodded.

Edited by xboxmods2977, 21 April 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#4 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Thanks guys for the quick replies... "eeprom" I guess was the key word I was missing in my searches as my results were diluted w/ non pertinent 360 related issues...

I'll look a little more into these methods, I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. I've never had to do anything with the eeprom before so it's all a bit new to me, but shouldn't be too complicated biggrin.gif

btw: and yes both the boxes in question are chipped. although the new one is a v1.6...

#5 johnney5

johnney5

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:gold teetheses
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE(xboxmods2977 @ Apr 21 2012, 05:14 PM) View Post

There was a PC utility floating around the net for resigning these problematic saves to a new xbox but I have never used it, so I can't remember the name or attest to it's success rate*.

I did some searching and found this: http://www.xbins.org...=xboxnfo297.nfo

"XSavSig"

I can't vouch for the success rate either, have never tried it. Might be worth a try though.

There is also xplorer360 which can load up original Xbox gamesaves, but I'm unsure if it only resigns the saves for use in an Xbox 360 or what.

#6 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

alright guys so I messed up, help needed if possible...

So initially I was surprised how simple things seemed to be, which I think caused me to rush the process a little bit. I dumped my 'new' eeprom onto my pc (this is the one I was trying to flash onto my xbox) it's from a v1.1 box. What I think i did wrong was I transferred it as is to my v1.6 box and tried to update the eeprom through config magic. I proceeded to check my games to see if the saves were usable and they werent, so I realized that I should have converted the 1.1 file to 1.6 so I did so w/ the liveinfo program and then transferred and ran config magic... no luck. so after all this I decided I should just re-boot the system and try again. and now the box turns on but does not output anyvideo. I assume that during my first flash I flashed the wrong eeprom, so the second didn't register and now I'm stuck w/ the wrong 1.1 eeprom on my 1.6 box with no access to anything.

Suggestions? I found this http://forums.xbox-s...o...=370449&hl= and might try to install a different chip tonight w/ cromwell on it and give it a go...

any help would be appreciated! I've been away from the scene too long and guess I just rushed things... argh.

btw liveinfo and configmagic are both the newest versions which are at least "supposed to" be compatible w/ 1.6 eeproms...

#7 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

I saw this coming a few posts ago, as I was reading the thread, but seems I was too late to stop you. You will be able to do what you attempted, but live info doesn't convert between 1.6 and non 1.6 eeproms for some reason. But you can open a 1.6 eeprom, and copy/paste all the fields from another, and save it, essentially converting it to a 1.6.

To fix your xbox, flash a modchip with flashbios unauthorized with embedded eeproms and try booting it on your bricked xbox. You should be able to get things working from there.

#8 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

QUOTE(Movax @ Apr 22 2012, 12:17 AM) View Post

I saw this coming a few posts ago, as I was reading the thread, but seems I was too late to stop you. You will be able to do what you attempted, but live info doesn't convert between 1.6 and non 1.6 eeproms for some reason. But you can open a 1.6 eeprom, and copy/paste all the fields from another, and save it, essentially converting it to a 1.6.

To fix your xbox, flash a modchip with flashbios unauthorized with embedded eeproms and try booting it on your bricked xbox. You should be able to get things working from there.

Understood. haha so the more I google, the more I see you answering this same problem over and over... dating back to around 2006. lol sorry to do it again dude...

#9 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Should I resize the 256kb flashbios file?

#10 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

It should be sized to the size of the modchip bios bank..commonly 512kb.

In Windows you can use a command shell and type copy /b bios.bin+bios.bin newbios.bin for a 512kb bios.

Edited by Movax, 22 April 2012 - 08:34 AM.

#11 competes2win

competes2win

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

All fixed! whew, that kinda sucked that I made such a mistake... but it all turned out OK. Unbricked my bricked box, correctly modified the eeproms to my liking, and now all my game saves work. Plus I guess it was a good learning experience. I now know all about eeproms, "un-authorized" bios, config magic etc etc lol.

Thanks so much for the help.

#12 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

biggrin.gif I've made the same mistakes - that's the only reason I know how to fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users