8 replies to this topic

#1 winningfreak

winningfreak

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

My phat 360 was working until it started scratching disks, I took the PCB board out and swapped it with another 360 drive (both hitachi DVD drives ) when I put a game in now it immediately goes from closing tray to open tray with reading only for about a second, with the original PCB board installed on the dvd drive ( the one that came on the replacement drive ) it will only play dvds in the new xbox ( drive key issues here )

Any ideas on how to get the new drive to work with the old PCB board? i've check all the connections several times.

Thanks for any help!

#2 mouseym

mouseym

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(winningfreak @ Apr 24 2012, 06:15 PM) View Post
My phat 360 was working until it started scratching disks, I took the PCB board out and swapped it with another 360 drive (both hitachi DVD drives ) when I put a game in now it immediately goes from closing tray to open tray with reading only for about a second, with the original PCB board installed on the dvd drive ( the one that came on the replacement drive ) it will only play dvds in the new xbox ( drive key issues here )

Any ideas on how to get the new drive to work with the old PCB board? i've check all the connections several times.

Thanks for any help!

When you say replacement drive, are you saying the original console's drive was replaced?

#3 winningfreak

winningfreak

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

no, the original console is the drive im trying to replace, I a second drive out of a broken 360 ( RRoD ) and am trying to swap the PCB board with the drive in my working one that scratches up disks.

It immediately goes open and close disk on the PCB board that came off the 360 that scratches disks ( with the right drive key ) the other 360's PCB board (the RRoD 360 ) will not read games because of the drive key problem.

Edited by winningfreak, 24 April 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#4 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

if you are keeping the original drive pcb in the xbox, u are not having a bad key issue, your replacement drive is just crap.

#5 winningfreak

winningfreak

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE(iateshaggy @ Apr 25 2012, 12:21 AM) View Post

if you are keeping the original drive pcb in the xbox, u are not having a bad key issue, your replacement drive is just crap.

i've tried to drives now with the original PCb, It's acting like there is no disk in the drive, the disk does not even spin.

#6 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE(winningfreak @ Apr 24 2012, 11:16 PM) View Post

i've tried to drives now with the original PCb, It's acting like there is no disk in the drive, the disk does not even spin.

If you've tried that pcb in multiple drives and none of them work with it, but don't behave weird with their original boards, then the pcb seems to be what it so blame.

If you know that pcb is flashed with custom firmware, try to have it flashed back to stock, it could be behaving weird if it has iXtreme on it or something.

Otherwise, you'll want to see if its not too damaged to just extract the DVD key from it and flash it to another drive.

You can examine the pcb for bulging capacitors or scratched/cut traces and if there is anything like that you can be pretty sure its the PCB and not the drives you've tried it in.

Also make sure all the ribbon cables are pushed as far in as they can go on the pcb when you install it (but dont push too hard to wreck the cable). A lot of times it can be a little tricky to see a cable that isn't in all the way.

Edited by canyonnehastings, 26 April 2012 - 04:37 AM.

#7 iateshaggy

iateshaggy

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

like i said, your drives are all crap, buy one from a reputable source. or did u hook your pcb up to a computer and do something to it and forget to tell us about it? that is the only likely way your pcb is screwed.

#8 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

I find it a little unlikely that all the drives you tried the board in would be crap. If you're getting open tray errors, look up xbox pot tweaking tutorials or "potentiometer tweaking"

Doing this correctly will likely fix your open tray issues if your pcb board is indeed working. make SURE to use a multimeter when tweaking the pot on the drive. let me know if you need help.

#9 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

i dont understand why you dont just dump the key and flash to a fresh drive the hitachi is the easiest to recover/flash (in my opinion) easily done on intel chipsets which are found every where
if your info is correct it sounds like the board i would not try pot tweaking as is real easy to burn out lasers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users