• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jparish1986

jparish1986

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

My Xbox packed in a few months ago just got around to fixing it. I replaced the laser with a new one and that worked for about 2 minutes, but then my DVD drive died again.

I removed the cover for the drive to show you guys whats happening with the drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Vid Link[u]

#2 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

hey .. Looked at your Youtube video

First you need to have the top half of the spindle in place. The plastic piece with the metal disc in it. It will fasten the dvd in place so the motor can spin it

You are lucky you did scratch the crap out of your Fallout disc

When you put that piece in place, if the disc doesn't spin as it should, then the spindle motor is dying.

It may have been that you didn't need to replace the laser, but really the spin motor. If the laser fired on the first one - then the laser was probably fine. Or needed POT adjusting

#3 jparish1986

jparish1986

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

ive put the top spindle on and tried pot adjusting but cant get it right. I managed to get it to spin for about a second rather than a quarter of a second. Is it just the left pot i play with? I'm going to get me a volt meter later today so where do I put the needles to test the ohm?

#4 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(jparish1986 @ Apr 28 2012, 06:36 AM) View Post

ive put the top spindle on and tried pot adjusting but cant get it right. I managed to get it to spin for about a second rather than a quarter of a second. Is it just the left pot i play with? I'm going to get me a volt meter later today so where do I put the needles to test the ohm?

You really should have gotten a multimeter before you tried adjusting it. I don't mean to be so negative, but I'd bet you fried your laser by tweaking without reading the resistance. If you haven't done it before, I think you'll be very surprised how much resistance you actually change when you turn the potentiometer 1/100th of a turn.

The disc spinning longer really isn't a good indicator that you've done something right.

Also, did you remove the solder ball from the new laser you ordered? You can't just install it right when you get it. There is a solder blob on the left side you have to remove that bridges 3 points on it and it will not work correctly with it in place. All new lasers are shipped with this blob, it probably isn't there if the laser was used.

EDIT: You need to put the multimeter probes on the two points that are on the left side of the DVD POT. There's only two and it doesn't matter which probe you touch to which one. To clarify, I'm using "left" in the sense of you looking at the laser from the backside of the drive.

But definitely see if that solder ball is there before doing anything else. It is often overlooked.

Good luck man and ask if you have any questions

Edited by canyonnehastings, 28 April 2012 - 07:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users