• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OKDeric

OKDeric

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

I bought a slim off Craigslist which said the DVD drive was bad. I noticed the antistatic solder was still attached so I removed that and the laser started to fire but it wouldn't read discs. I found one of the rail screws were missing so i added one and now I can read DVDs but not games. When I insert a game it says "Play Game" but doesn't show the image in the preview box or game title. Could this be a DVD key issue or could the drive still need adjusted?

#2 superfireball123

superfireball123

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

Adjust the drive. it wouldnt recognize the game as a game if it were a wrong key.

#3 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:01 AM

Yes it sounds like they replaced the whole drive without swapping the PCB boards or flashing the key, and then replaced just the laser afterward because they thought they got a drive with a faulty laser.

I think you'll have to RGH the system to get the DVD drive key from the nand in order to flash it to the new drive. I'd contact the person you bought it from and ask if they have the old drive still because swapping PCBs is much easier than an RGH and flash.

#4 sinclairuser

sinclairuser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:45 AM

AS POST 2 SAID THE DRIVE NEEDS CALIBRATING IT WOULD NOT SEE THE DISK AS A GAME IF THE KEY WAS WRONG! probably the pot (multimeter required)

#5 OKDeric

OKDeric

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Okay I tried all the adjustments I can and only mw3 says play game. All other 360 games say play DVD. Does this mean it's the key? I called the original owners and they wont answer.

#6 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(OKDeric @ May 1 2012, 02:41 AM) View Post

Okay I tried all the adjustments I can and only mw3 says play game. All other 360 games say play DVD. Does this mean it's the key? I called the original owners and they wont answer.

Is this after tweaking the DVD pot? MW3 is a pretty new game, which means it may be a much cleaner disc than your other games (free from scratches and smudges, etc.) It will be easier for the laser to read than your other games. If the laser can only read that game, you might want to tweak it a tiny bit more so that it's at its prime. Otherwise a new laser may be in your future.

And no, if it will read that game, I think a key problem can be ruled out.....probably.

#7 OKDeric

OKDeric

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:59 PM

I tried adjusting the laser down to the 3k mark but didn't go any lower. Could the laser still be an issue since they replaced and possibly adjusted the pot on it but didn't remove the anti-static solder? Also MW3 will not play itself. It states to play game but never shows the image or lists the title. When I try to play it the system returns to the home screen.

#8 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(OKDeric @ May 1 2012, 11:59 AM) View Post

I tried adjusting the laser down to the 3k mark but didn't go any lower. Could the laser still be an issue since they replaced and possibly adjusted the pot on it but didn't remove the anti-static solder? Also MW3 will not play itself. It states to play game but never shows the image or lists the title. When I try to play it the system returns to the home screen.

Ahh, do you know if you're running the latest dashboard? It sounds like it is a key problem. You'll probably have to have someone RGH it to recover the key.

If it's not the latest dashboard, that game could be detected, but not played because newer games will only work on the newest "kinect" dashboard.

#9 OKDeric

OKDeric

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

Yes I'm running the latest dashboard. This thing has been a real bummer but I was afraid it was a key issue. I would still like to use it for xbox live but what would i need to simply read the key vault in the NAND? I was thinking Nand-X but I don't want the RGH to be permanent just to get the key so I could flash the drive correctly.

QUOTE(canyonnehastings @ May 1 2012, 06:19 PM) View Post

Ahh, do you know if you're running the latest dashboard? It sounds like it is a key problem. You'll probably have to have someone RGH it to recover the key.

If it's not the latest dashboard, that game could be detected, but not played because newer games will only work on the newest "kinect" dashboard.

#10 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(OKDeric @ May 1 2012, 05:36 PM) View Post

Yes I'm running the latest dashboard. This thing has been a real bummer but I was afraid it was a key issue. I would still like to use it for xbox live but what would i need to simply read the key vault in the NAND? I was thinking Nand-X but I don't want the RGH to be permanent just to get the key so I could flash the drive correctly.

Well if its the latest dashboard, you'll need to RGH 2.0 it I think to recover the key. The RGH doesn't have to be permanent though and you can have a stock Xbox Live capable machine when it's all said and done.

#11 OKDeric

OKDeric

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Update on this; The original owners gave me the original DVD board. Apparently the kid swapped the board with a friend in an attempt to fix this box. The dad seemed kind of annoyed that I wanted the board and asked me what I hoped to accomplish with it. When I told him I had it playing DVDs and the board should allow it to play games he seemed annoyed with his son. I felt bad for the kid a bit since if he would have removed the anti-static solder point he probably would have had a working unit. I still have to fine tune it a bit since i have received read errors but the box is working. Now I just need to order a few missing parts and i can have it back together.

#12 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE(OKDeric @ May 7 2012, 02:29 AM) View Post

Update on this; The original owners gave me the original DVD board. Apparently the kid swapped the board with a friend in an attempt to fix this box. The dad seemed kind of annoyed that I wanted the board and asked me what I hoped to accomplish with it. When I told him I had it playing DVDs and the board should allow it to play games he seemed annoyed with his son. I felt bad for the kid a bit since if he would have removed the anti-static solder point he probably would have had a working unit. I still have to fine tune it a bit since i have received read errors but the box is working. Now I just need to order a few missing parts and i can have it back together.

Sounds good, make sure to use a multimeter if you're adjusting the pot so you don't burn out the laser on the xbox you just got working!

#13 MadMaxGR

MadMaxGR

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,807 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Yes, be careful turning these pots, you can easily burn the laser diodes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users