X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • Interests:gold teetheses
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

In UnleashX you can also edit the icon for each menu item, and there is a pack of icons that are fitting for certain things like shutdown, eject tray, ect.

I'm pretty sure this is the collection, since I have them on my PC in a folder with the same name as the zip:

http://www.xbox-skin...ashXIconPak.zip

Here are what some of them look like:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Also, instead of using the icons embedded in the .xbe for some emulators, I grabbed .png images of the consoles themselves, plus renamed the emulators to the actual name of the console (For example, I renamed PCSXbox to Playstation 1, ect.).

The skin I mentioned before that mimics the dashboard of the Xbox 360 (NXE, not blades) is called NXE Reloaded. There were about 3 versions of it uploaded which all seemed to be the same, the only difference was the background image.

The link to one here: http://www.xbox-skin...r_of_war_ii.zip

You can change the background image to anything you want. I even looked in the skin.xml file, found where it was referencing the background image, and I was able to change it to load a .xmv (Xbox video file) instead, which worked out pretty cool. Getting an XMV is kind of a hassle though because you need the .wmv -> .xmv converter and the .wmv you use needs to be Windows Media 8 (newer versions don't work). I used either adobe after effects or Sony Vegas to convert to WMV8.

#17 sqad5

sqad5

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

awesome thank you

#18 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

More useful information ^^ - thanks.

When I first became interested in UnleashX skinning ago I was playing Rayman 3 so what I did in my first attempt at producing a significantly edited skin was to make it Rayman themed. Basically I just extracted every image, font and .xmv I could find in the game folder.

I, rather crudely, replaced in fact, more accurately. covered up the Xbox menu item icons with smiley Rayman faces.

Xbox games seem to me to be the very obvious resource to use particularly with the FMV being all in the required .xmv format. I do find animated backgrounds, particularly in File Explorer, distracting and, in my admittedly limited experience using them, don't loop smoothly. But in Rayman 3 I did find a very appropriate 8 second sequence which was used as the loading screen.

For some reason there are comparatively few game themed UnleashX skins published, Halo and a few obscure Japanese RPGs excepted. Copyright matters I'd guess.

#19 johnney5

johnney5

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(fallenangle @ May 5 2012, 01:48 PM) View Post

Xbox games seem to me to be the very obvious resource to use particularly with the FMV being all in the required .xmv format. I do find animated backgrounds, particularly in File Explorer, distracting and, in my admittedly limited experience using them, don't loop smoothly.

Yea, I guess you could use an .xmv from an Xbox game (might've even seen that done before actually). I can't stand when an .xmv takes up the entire screen and it's deemed a skin, but the NXE one that I mentioned before has a layer above the background... since I made the background a video, the video doesn't stand out/annoy as much. I'll have to show you a video of it, I've got a capture device but I'll have to transfer the skin to my Xbox, I designed it for a friend to go with a custom xbox I made (check it out http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=732240 ).

I'll probably upload the skin too. I think it's a good template skin, since it has a few .pngs (small avatar image plus full avatar picture) and a string of text placed at a specific location (the fake "gamerscore" you can set next to the small avatar image) on the screen, and it already has the background image switched for a .xmv in the xml. It's not as hard as it seems to get the .xmv going --- it's really just getting the file converted to wmv8. I'm pretty sure someone even made a gui for the wmv->xmv converter.

QUOTE(fallenangle @ May 5 2012, 01:48 PM) View Post

For some reason there are comparatively few game themed UnleashX skins published, Halo and a few obscure Japanese RPGs excepted. Copyright matters I'd guess.

Nah, lol. It's not like they were being sold to anyone.

#20 johnney5

johnney5

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

Here are some of those emulator icons that I mentioned before. I found them on my computer. I'm pretty sure I just google searched and saved the good ones with transparancy + resized them.

Right click -> "Save as" to keep

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

#21 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:43 AM

No there's no money exchanging hands but what they're doing unarguably is publishing and making available to download material to which they don't own the copyright. Using it yourself there is no problem but putting part of a game ie. even just a short FMV sequence online for download as part of a skin, in UK law, that is still piracy.

As it is many of those skins use copyrighted pictures I'd bet the skin creators don't own. Some skins use celebrity publicity shots (Jennifer Aniston, Jessica Alba, Pamela Anderson etc) and I'm sure they're not going to mind if their pictures are used and distributed in this way. But unless the copyright owners have given specific permission it could still be considered a breach of copyright. I'd suspect this applies to the preview .wmv files there too.

That said I've been downloading quite a few skins in the last few days thanks to Heimdall's archive web site link helping the identification of specific skins. Very useful, I've now found a few better Avalaunch ones to try out to replace the dull default skin.

But as others have said the web site in question wasn't fully archived. There were something like 200 pages of EvoX and UnleashX skins but only a few dozen pages are now available and on many of them the skin preview pictures are missing. So much of the download material there still is a lucky dip.

#22 BuraddoX

BuraddoX

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Loves to mod gaming consoles.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE(johnney5 @ May 7 2012, 04:29 AM) View Post

Here are some of those emulator icons that I mentioned before. I found them on my computer. I'm pretty sure I just google searched and saved the good ones with transparancy + resized them.

Right click -> "Save as" to keep

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Nice icons happy.gif also hello again people been gone for a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users