10 replies to this topic

#1 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Got a Toshiba RC6 remote control at a car boot sale the other day, thought it might work with the Xbox and XBMC, but it doesn't seem to. There is a red light coming on on the remote, so it seems to be working ok.

Page at http://wiki.xbmc.org...control_reviews seems to imply that it should just be plug n'play, but maybe that's just with XBMC on PCs?

I do have an IR dongle plugged into port 4 on the Xbox, don't know if it works, as it was in there when I got the Xbox, no Xbox remote with it though, so maybe it's faulty.

Is there anything else I need to do to get the remote to work with XBMC, or UnleashX for that matter?

#2 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

You have way too many unknowns in your setup.

Try a different IR dongle, one that you know works.

Edited by Heimdall, 01 May 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#3 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

I was thinking that alright, but I don't have another dongle, nor know anyone who has one.

I do have a PC set up as a HTPC with one of these

http://wiki.xbmc.org...nded_MCE_remote

It works with a USB dongle, and works fine with Windows, Mediaportal and GeeXbox, and I did try to get the Toshiba remote to work with it, but couldn't. If I knew that the Toshiba remote should, then maybe the remote is busted. Or maybe it needs some tweaking to get it to work with the HTPC?

Is there some program that can be run on a PC with a USB dongle that can pick up signals from remotes, or is the dongle I have likely only to work with the remote that came with it?

#4 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:03 AM

I'm pretty sure XBMC will recognize RCA (like the original xbox remote) remotes only by default. you need to get the codes for the buttons and edit the appropriate XML files:

XBMC on the Xbox only can be put in a test mode to display the code number read when you press a button on your remote by setting <displayremotecodes> to true in advancedsettings.xml.

http://wiki.xbmc.org...ference_only.29

Edited by Movax, 02 May 2012 - 04:03 AM.

#5 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for the info and link...

I tried that with by adding the advancedsettings.xml file, but I wasn't seeing any codes coming up on the screen. I read somewhere else that by activating debugging mode in XBMC, the codes should also appear, but no dice, just the CPU usage, temp, etc.

Waiting for OneforAll to get back to me with a code for a URC9990 I have that should work with the Xbox, I've seen it mentioned that it does/should work on a few other forums out there, so if it doesn't work for me, I guess the dongle might be stuffed.

I did try looking at the LED of the Toshiba with a digital camera, and the LED is flashing, but maybe not correctly.

#6 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

my one for all remotes only work with official MS dongles..
(dont know why)
I have a few that have a region switch on the bottom.
they work fine with an MS remote but the same code for my onefor all wont work for the one with the switch (dont ask it dosent make any sence to me)

any way ive had to use auto search function for a VCR. to get some onefor all remotes to work with the xbox..
so try that

#7 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Alright, I got the updated code onto the universal remote, and it works fine, so the dongle is ok. Works both in XBMC and on the UnleashX interface. When in Xbox, I can see the codes coming up on-screen, like 0=48, 1=49, etc.

Should the RC6 remote be working straight away then, or do I need to get some remote config file onto the Xbox to make it work?

Edited by tmcw, 07 May 2012 - 03:52 PM.

#8 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Maybe something like this: http://wiki.xbmc.org...#Remote_Section

#9 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

Thanks, will have a look at that in more depth later. I would have thought that an example keyboard.xml file for XBMC on the PC setup to use an RC6 remote, would work on XBMC on the Xbox, but I can't seem to find an example, just finding snippets of code.

I'm really curious as to whether the remote is working at all. Maybe the fact that I couldn't get it working on my PC with Mediaportal is an indication that it might not be. But then again, I don't know if I should be able to expect the RC6 remote to work with the USB receiver that I use with the PC.

Maybe I'm better off just getting a DVD remote for the Xbox, or just using the wireless controller that also works for it.

#10 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

I'm really curious as to whether the remote is working at all.

Pretty sure it is.

QUOTE(tmcw @ May 7 2012, 10:52 AM) View Post

When in Xbox, I can see the codes coming up on-screen, like 0=48, 1=49, etc.

Edited by Movax, 09 May 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#11 tmcw

tmcw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

No, that was with the universal remote, set up to emulate an Xbox remote, so that just proves that the dongle is working ok.

I still haven't seen any response with the RC6 remote. The fact that I couldn't get the RC6 remote to work with Mediaportal, which has several remote settings, could mean the RC6 isn't working, but at the same time, I don't know if I should expect the RC6 remote to work with the USB receiver connected to the Mediaportal PC, I don't know if these IR USB receivers are all fairly generic, require additional drivers to be installed, or just aren't compatible.

I'll come back to it again at some stage and give it another try when I have more time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users