• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DanADaMan

DanADaMan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

Been a real long time since I've played with my xbox1. I currently have a few emulators on it. For arcade roms I use mameox (not sure of version). But I'd guess it is 8+ years old.

What is the best arcade emulator now? I found mameox worked good 95% of the time but did have problems with 2000+ roms.

Also I really am interested in playing golden tee trackball edition rom. How can I get a trackball to work on my xbox1?

Thanks

#2 gamez fan

gamez fan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

i would highly recommend 3 arcade emulators CoinOPS Final Burn Legends and Xraine

coinops 3 sunset
basicly coinops is an updated version of mameox it will play loads more arcade games than the set you are using just now
also includes trackball support and console games

FBL v1.10
good solid arcade only emulator highly recommended loads of new games been added over the last year many playable for the 1st time on an xbox

Xraine v0.51.59
this emu plays some games better than coinops or FBL this could be added sound or better performance
60fps as standard also Xraine plays a some games that wont work in coinops or FBL

Edited by gamez fan, 03 May 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#3 DanADaMan

DanADaMan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

Thanks for the info. A few more questions:

1) I d/l Coinops3 and ftp'ed it to my F:/emulators directory (where all my other emulators are located). I fired up Coinops, but it keeps hangin in the "checking known roms against..." (or something like that) and the "press any button". It is basically stuck in this rotation. Any ideas? BTW - within the Coinops folder there was no ROMS directory

2) My arcade roms are quite old (around 10 years). Doing a little research I see that roms now have version numbers?? For example some are 139 vs 145, etc. What does this mean? If I get any of these suggested emulators, will I need to download whole new updated rom versions????

3) how do I get a trackball wired up to the xbox1? Is there a unit pre-made ready to go, or will I have to mod a custom controller? In particular I want a 3" trackball, and wireless would be preferred but not mandatory.

Thanks

#4 DanADaMan

DanADaMan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

OK, I deleted the copy of coinops and installed a different one I d/l'ed. This time it worked, but still have a few questions:

1) I only installed 4 arcade games - for 2 of them (games the d/l came with) I added the files to the rom, video and screenshot directory, and one game (from my previous roms) I only installed into the roms directory. Well, the 3 games that came with the d/l were listed on the main menu but my old-rom game did not show up??? Also of the 3 games that were on the list, only one had a video of the game while the other 2 had blanks when you scroll to them. What am I doing wrong.

2) still want to know how to make aor buy a trackball.

Thanks

Oh, I forgot one other question.

If I have more than one arcade emulator (ie. mameox, coinops, final burn, etc), can I save my roms in one location where all these emulators can see and play them?? When going into the settings for coinops I found where to change the rom directories, but they all showed " d:/roms". From what I understand the D directory is a system thing since really the files are on F:\emulators\coinops\roms. But if it is a system thing, how do I make it point to a generic location where all my emulators can see the same roms.

Thanks

#5 gamez fan

gamez fan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

ok lots of questions ill try my best to answer them for ya

1) to be honest i know nothing about trackballs i know coinops supports this control method but as for how
to set it up not sure sharpfork is the guy to ask

2) rom names denote which version the game is eg usa or japan etc you will more than likely have to update
alot of your roms maybe best for you to find coinops or FBL emu+roms set

3) you can have one videos and roms folder for all your emulators just point the directories to the folders
but keep in mind although your vids will work with all your emus your roms may not

4) roms you add to your emulator eg coinops have to be scanned in to show in your romlist press
start then select resan all your roms as for videos you need to add them to videos or videos extra folder

im gonna PM ya and send you over to see BritneysPAIRS he will help ya with coinops sharpfork also resides on the same site he will help you with trackball im also gonna send ya to see destronger he can help ya with any questions you may have about FBL A600 is on the same site im sure he answer any questions you have about Xraine

Edited by gamez fan, 04 May 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#6 DanADaMan

DanADaMan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

OK, I got Coinops working along with Final Burn Legends.

Unfortunately neither of them seem to identify Golden Tee past the 2K version. I've got a newer version of this arcade game at home but want to emulate it so I can play on my 120" projector connected to my xbox. I installed the roms into both of these emulators Rom directory and then re-scanned. In both, the rom does not appear on the list of available games, but the roms (zip files) are in the proper directory? Its like these emulators just can not read or recognize these roms???

I read that Golden Tee roms past 2000 are .144 Mame files. What does this mean? FYI - below is the link where I'm getting these roms from - maybe someone else will have success loading them with some other emulator or settings?

http://edgeemu.net/browse-mame-G.htm

Thanks

#7 gamez fan

gamez fan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

as you know coinops and FBL are based on mame if a rom doesnt show this could be for 3 reasons

1) the emu doesnt support this rom check the tools folder in FBL and read me folder in coinops there you will
find dats that tell you what roms are supported in the emu

2) the rom is named incorrectly
again check the dats in the above folders to see if your rom is named correctly

3) if the rom isnt emulated in current mame release then it wont work in coinops Xraine or FBL

ok done a quick check for ya it's bad news though goldentee 2k wont work in FBL or CoinOPS as its not supported

Edited by gamez fan, 05 May 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#8 Ash123

Ash123

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hi, I know this question isn't strictly for this tread but you seem like a helpful chap wink.gif

I'm using MamedOX and I noticed Digdug and Shinobi don't play, (a missing files message appears). Will this CoinOps play them?

Also, is Vice64X still the best Commodore 64 emu for the XBOX?

Cheers.

#9 hcf

hcf

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Ash123 @ Jun 6 2012, 05:50 PM) View Post

I'm using MamedOX and I noticed Digdug and Shinobi don't play, (a missing files message appears). Will this CoinOps play them?
Cheers.

Maybe your roms don't match the version that Mamedox is expecting. Remember that your romset must be exactly the expected by your version of Mame (this is true for every Arcade emulator: FBL, CoinOps, Mamedox... not only Mamedox).

Edited by hcf, 08 June 2012 - 02:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users