#1 willemoke

willemoke

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

So I wanted to do a reball, I really wanted to try it out ( never done it before ) and thought, why not try it on an old console that's been having rrod for like, ages.
Anyway, I think I might have burned the chip. The chip looked fine when I lifted it en the board look fine aswell, though when I tried to remove the solder I think I might have actually burned a solder point. Could anyone confirm this? I have the same problem with the CPU chip aswell, just 1 point. It's in the middle of the GPU chip and on the left side of the CPU chip.

Pics :

IPB Image
IPB Image

Thanks in advance!

#2 canyonnehastings

canyonnehastings

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(willemoke @ May 4 2012, 08:02 AM) View Post

So I wanted to do a reball, I really wanted to try it out ( never done it before ) and thought, why not try it on an old console that's been having rrod for like, ages.
Anyway, I think I might have burned the chip. The chip looked fine when I lifted it en the board look fine aswell, though when I tried to remove the solder I think I might have actually burned a solder point. Could anyone confirm this? I have the same problem with the CPU chip aswell, just 1 point. It's in the middle of the GPU chip and on the left side of the CPU chip.

Pics :

IPB Image
IPB Image

Thanks in advance!

You have to clean all that solder off with flux and braid anyway, just clean it off and check for uniformity. If you did damage it, which I doubt, there's nothing you can do for that chip now I don't think. You can always buy a new, preballed chip on ebay for around 15 bucks.

EDIT: Also the picture looks like a solderball was ripped off its pad. Make sure you are using a reworking station for this and that the temperature of the chip (reading from a thermocouple or IR thermometer) is between 220 and 245C and leave it at that temperature for like 30 seconds to a minute at least.

It looks like that chip had uneven heat flow over it.

Edited by canyonnehastings, 04 May 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#3 wilgo45

wilgo45

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

Looks like you lost one pad there. On that left edge, close to the bottom of the chip

What did you use to lift the chip ?

With the loss of the pad - I'd say the chip is useless now

My very first Reball attempt went about the same way. Loss of a couple of pads. Trace damage. That was years ago.

It takes practice. It gets better if you recognize where you need to improve. Done dozens of successful reballls now

#4 Haygar

Haygar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:26 AM

Does anyone know who can do reliable reball work in Australia? I'm talking reattaching the gpu to the motherboard as well.

Thanks in advance for any info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users