Photo

Argh. Enigmah Wont Burn Or Read On My Xbox !?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,749 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE(fallenangle @ May 10 2012, 05:04 AM) View Post
Only thing you'll find is that most of the recommended FTP Clients (like the twitchy FileZilla) have a GUI about as newbie unfriendly as can be thought up by human mind.

Most people would disagree with you. Filezilla has a standard Windows GUI, and is anything but twitchy.

#17 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

i use filezilla and recomend it..
You need to set unleash-x to accept 9 similtanious clients, then set filezilla to transfer 8 files at once. and then its prety darn fast.
your user name and password are usualy xbox
and you just need to put the ip adress that unlesh-x shows you in the bottom right hand corner..

everything after that is a basic drag and drop opperation.

#18 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

I thought my comment about FileZilla might provoke some defence from the 'old hands' smile.gif here.

I've not done a lot of FTPing so I am a newbie in this respect. Over the past few days I've used it to get around 50 Xbox skins from my laptop to Xbox in about half a dozen different batches. Only once did FileZilla "process the queue" without failing to transfer at least one skin folder or more usually certain files within a particular folder. Often the problem repeats when I've retried.

I swap over to CoreFTP and it transfers first time.

Why I call it newbie unfriendly and twitchy is because it will disconnect at the drop of hat. It seems to time out if nothing is happening ie. even if you're busy adding files to the "queue". That forces a another Quickconnect and if you make the mistake of opening that in a new tab you're likely in store for a series of failures to connect messages because there are "too many users". No pointing you at the problem, you just have to notice that there are too many tabs open and, of course, understand that is the trouble.

I've found FileZilla (which I recently updated to the newest version) sometimes does not display "queued" items. Numerically it will show there are items queued but not what they are. You click "Remove all" and redo the queue and this time it displays correctly. There may be an explanation for this but as a newbie these sort of things just seem designed confuse you.

Even the terms these programs use for simple things annoys: process queue instead of simply start or copy. Why no Windows style a start/cancel button on the screen instead of having to use the right click context menu? Why queue? Why not just list?

I also don't understand why the Xbox address is called the host address and not the client address. You're copying from a PC to a Xbox, so surely the PC is 'hosting' the folders/files you want to transfer? The FTP program isn't a 'client' it's a transfer tool or service and the Xbox is actually the client you're sending the folders/files to. Arguably the word transfer is imprecise too because you're not moving the folders/files you're copying them.

FileZilla works, no argument from me about that but do I like it's GUI? No, it makes doing a simple thing seem more complicated than it should be. Are any other FTP programs better in this respect? I don't know, I've not had enough experience. except with CoreFTP. Less prone to disconnect and transfer failures the few times I've used it but is its GUI better ie. simpler? Not really.

I'll have to have a look at Movax's Total Commander.

Edited by fallenangle, 10 May 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#19 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

The Xbox is called the host because that's what it is. FTP is a client-server protocol. You (the user) sit at the client, connect to a host/server which is listening for incoming connections, then copy files to or from the server. The direction of file transfer isn't what determines which end is which.

"Too many users" is pointing you at the problem, and very succinctly. It isn't Filezilla giving you the message, it's the server on the Xbox. What it can't tell you is whether YOU are the other users, or someone else - it simply reports the error message from the server.

List could be a list you select from. Queue is the right word. You queue files then process them. The queue can contain transfers in both directions, and to/from multiple servers.

Edited by Heimdall, 10 May 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#20 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

Host = the pc/server/ remote storage location
Client = you/some one who wishes to move files to the host

its the same with everything.

if your computer was set up to accept incoming ftp requests then your pc would be the host. and if i FTP'd on to your pc to ftp files to or from your pc I would be the client.
As a default home computers will always be the client. They use a client program to conenct to the ip address of the host where you can then upload files. or download them (goes both ways)
You can set up your computer to be a ftp host though.

I always just open a new connection in the same window so never make more than 1 connection.
Also if you connect to your xbox and make a list of transfers. close filezilla then reopen it and the list re populates, you dont need to do a quick connect again.
You can just hit process and it will transfer the files without making an initial "non transfering" connection

Edited by shambles1980, 10 May 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#21 _viper_

_viper_

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Lol at whats happened since ive been gone. Internet is fun!

Imma try FTPing again tonight, also, just to confirm, my xbox is stock, im not doing something retarded like fitting a flux capacitor right?

Love you guys.

#22 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(_viper_ @ May 10 2012, 08:53 PM) View Post

Lol at whats happened since ive been gone. Internet is fun!

Imma try FTPing again tonight, also, just to confirm, my xbox is stock, im not doing something retarded like fitting a flux capacitor right?

Love you guys.

you have to be at the very least softmodded to run non official dvd's or have ftp access...

#23 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

Sorry about my FileZilla rant ^^^^ but I was particularly ticked off last night as at some point yesterday in the hurry to get back to my FTPing after an interuption I managed to completely stuff up my PC's desktop. Just wouldn't load, Ctrl/Alt/Delete didn't help and nothing except the background picture and one shortcut icon was left visible - FileZilla. It knows I don't like it.

Anyway unless Movax's Total Commander proves more to my liking I'm going to stick to CoreFTPLE from now on.

I've been using it today for some other skin downloads. One thing I particularly like is that it stores your previous connection details if you want. After loading it automatically presents it in a clean and simple opening dialogue box. Just click on Connect and away you go. The issues with FileZilla may well be due to my inexperience with this stuff but that's irrelevant. CoreFTPLE works better for me, it also says 'Bye!' when you've finished. That sells it as far as I'm concerned. smile.gif

#24 Heimdall

Heimdall

X-S Legend

• Members
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE(fallenangle @ May 10 2012, 11:25 PM) View Post
It knows I don't like it.
it also says 'Bye!' when you've finished. That sells it as far as I'm concerned. smile.gif

smile.gif smile.gif

Out of interest, which O/S are you using?

#25 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

One more plug... Doesn't get much easier than this:

IPB Image

Of course host name is your xbox IP address and user/pass is typically xbox/xbox.

#26 shambles1980

shambles1980

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

lol they all work the same for me..
I dont see how 1 can be easier than the other..

#27 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:36 AM

It's easier when you use one program to do anything and everything related to manipulating files, and those commands remain the same even over FTP, inside archives, etc, etc...

#28 fallenangle

fallenangle

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

^^^^ Windows XP HE running on a 9+ year old laptop.

Total Commander does seem to be worth a look - it'll be a good excuse to download a few more random skins to try it out.

The "Send Command to Keep Connection Alive" option interests me. Is that what FileZilla isn't doing when I've had those 'time out' type disconnects I mentioned?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users